Old guy with a new car and introductions all around

KyMoonshine

Hello internet people, I woke up yesterday with no intentions of buying an old American sled but somehow there is a 1950 Plymouth P19 Deluxe sitting in my driveway. I have been building old air-cooled Volkswagens for decades and never been to interested in American cars other than some old Mercs but this car popped up for sale about an hour away and the price was more than fair(I thought anyway) so I called the guy and convinced him to let me come look at it, long story short I drove it an hour home and left my Volkswagen on top of a mountain. I think I am going to love it, It runs well but one rear tire locks up randomly(he replaced a wheel cylinder and brake line a few days ago) doesn't have any brake lights and wanders all over the road lol. I am happy to have found this place and already learned so much just reading some old threads,

My plans are fix the brakes, new tire-rods, alignment, get all the lights etc working then figure out how much I can drop the rear (2 inches or 3) and then lower the front a couple of inches, new tires and drive it just as it looks, it has only had two owners and the first one installed a split manifold and straight pipes and 3.73 rear-end so it runs out pretty good.

I need to locate a few things like oil bath air cleaner(its gone) and some trim pieces but most of the car is complete

120575663_646015336302689_6013647112305238986_o.jpg

120607910_646016349635921_7140475394346151585_o.jpg

120636482_646015182969371_1055516604988978258_o.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Los_Control said:

Life moves on, I have awaken with something different then  a p-19 in my arms.

Somehow we all manage to recover .... I think you will recover real nice, beautiful car.

Welcome to the forums and anyone does not like the red wheels tell them to eat dirt  :P

But can we still tell him his hood ornament is upside-down???

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I wondered who bought that one. Thanks for saving me from having to try to convince my wife I need just one more old Mopar.  Looks' like a good bargain. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.  Welcome to the site.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Like 1

Just got new tierods from Oriellys, they have them is several price points 17.00 to 35.00 ea.  I got the mid price ones.  Get the ones with the zero fittings.  If you are handy you can get a 2 inch or so drop at the front by relocating the spring pockets from the top of the a arms to the bottom.  Grinding rivets and some on the a arms required.  Two inch blocks in the rear are pretty standard.  Rear brake dissasembly requires big he pulled as the axles are tapered fit like old Ford's.  Brakes are Lockheed style so not self centering.  Grab a reproduction manual from eBay.  This site also has a pretty good section on brakes in the tech or resources area.

Welcome, have fun.

2 hours ago, greg g said:

Just got new tierods from Oriellys, they have them is several price points 17.00 to 35.00 ea.  I got the mid price ones.  Get the ones with the zero fittings.  If you are handy you can get a 2 inch or so drop at the front by relocating the spring pockets from the top of the a arms to the bottom.  Grinding rivets and some on the a arms required.  Two inch blocks in the rear are pretty standard.  Rear brake dissasembly requires big he pulled as the axles are tapered fit like old Ford's.  Brakes are Lockheed style so not self centering.  Grab a reproduction manual from eBay.  This site also has a pretty good section on brakes in the tech or resources area.

Welcome, have fun.

Thanks everyone, I am going to be finding my way around this car for awhile for sure, I have been a VW mech forever and had my own shop years ago so I can do most anything after I break it first, I have found as many as six different repair/shop manuals on this car between Faxon and eBay, which one do you recommend? he mentioned that the brakes had a centering adjustment and thinks that may be why the rear brakes on the side he replaced the wheel cylinder on is locking up? also where is the brake light switch? I don't have any brake lights now and I was gonna run it down tomorrow but it would be easier if I just knew where to look lol

Thanks again and I think I will love this old car

Edit I just read the entire section on brakes and now my brain hurts, looks like maybe my master cylinder pressure relief valve is clogged, there is a new master cylinder in the truck along with boxes of new parts I have not looked through yet

Edited by KyMoonshine
addition info

10 hours ago, KyMoonshine said:

Hello internet people, I woke up yesterday with no intentions of buying an old American sled but somehow there is a 1950 Plymouth P19 Deluxe sitting in my driveway. I have been building old air-cooled Volkswagens for decades and never been to interested in American cars other than some old Mercs but this car popped up for sale about an hour away and the price was more than fair(I thought anyway) so I called the guy and convinced him to let me come look at it, long story short I drove it an hour home and left my Volkswagen on top of a mountain. I think I am going to love it, It runs well but one rear tire locks up randomly(he replaced a wheel cylinder and brake line a few days ago) doesn't have any brake lights and wanders all over the road lol. I am happy to have found this place and already learned so much just reading some old threads,

My plans are fix the brakes, new tire-rods, alignment, get all the lights etc working then figure out how much I can drop the rear (2 inches or 3) and then lower the front a couple of inches, new tires and drive it just as it looks, it has only had two owners and the first one installed a split manifold and straight pipes and 3.73 rear-end so it runs out pretty good.

I need to locate a few things like oil bath air cleaner(its gone) and some trim pieces but most of the car is complete

120575663_646015336302689_6013647112305238986_o.jpg

120607910_646016349635921_7140475394346151585_o.jpg

120636482_646015182969371_1055516604988978258_o.jpg

Well,you ain't going to find anybody here that will tell you it was a bad decision. I'm trying to downsize,and I'd buy it myself.

• Like 1

Awesome! Welcome. This forum will be a great resource and you'll probably spend too much time on here. The fact you could drive the car home says a lot. 

Share more photos when you have time - we love photos just as much as conversation. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KyMoonshine said:

Show me some photos and I'll figure it out?

These are dad's former 50s. It's very common to see the ornament with the plastic insert upside-down.

red50ply2.jpg

DSC00396.jpg

Edited by Young Ed

I always wondered how anyone could mount this upside down...the emblem itself if you look at it shows quite readily the correct orientation.  The figures on the emblem are Native Americans kneeling and presenting the Pilgrims corn in order to keep them from starving.  I am also amazed that it seems every e-bay picture shows this ornament upside down....

upside down an it looks like your common Dorkolet car.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I am surprised I have never noticed this.

Am I the only one?

• Haha 1

Welcome to the forum,KyMoonshine... You aren't the only one,Knuckleharley. I would never have have picked up on it. I've learned something today.?

1488759391_1950Plymouthhoodornament.jpg.7a06bc97a2539b071698e735775056b1.jpg

• Like 1

If the corn ain't on the ground, yer emblem is right side around.

The brake light switch is hydraulic and is some where between the mc and where the line splits from to rear.  While you are checking things out your next question might be where is the fuse box??  There isn't one.  All the lights go through the headlamp switch which does have a 30 amp fuse integral to it. That fuse is not SAE, it looks similar to a regular glass fuse but islonger than standard glass fuse.  Or your car might have a self resetting 30 amp relay up under the dash.  They began using these in late 48 but not sure what models got them. A locking brake may be related to debris in the relief port in the bottom of the mc fluid reservoir.  Look in with a flash light there should be two hole visible a small one in front of a bigger one. The small one is relief.  

I am not sure when they flipped but many late 40s Mopars had only one center mounted brake lamp.  The outer ones were running lights only.  Don't know how your years was set up.

• Like 1

Personal preference for me but I have never understood why people want to lower cars. To me, they look kind of squashed. Not as bad as chopped cars but still squashed. You have a nice car which looks great with the patina. I know people say it can always be returned to original but I have never seen a modified car that has been. Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

Personal preference for me but I have never understood why people want to lower cars. To me, they look kind of squashed. Not as bad as chopped cars but still squashed. You have a nice car which looks great with the patina. I know people say it can always be returned to original but I have never seen a modified car that has been. Just my thoughts.

Robert, I have been that guy that slams cars to the ground my entire life, totally impractical and dumb but I love how they look, I have to do a lot of work to slam these old Beetles and since it is so easy to drop these cars a couple of inches I thought I would give it a go, I don't plan on dropping it on the ground as that would be so much work but just a little tail drag, here is my 60 Beetle for an idea of how I usually roll lol, all static dropped and OG paint

20150520_192632.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greg g said:

If the corn ain't on the ground, yer emblem is right side around.

The brake light switch is hydraulic and is some where between the mc and where the line splits from to rear.  While you are checking things out your next question might be where is the fuse box??  There isn't one.  All the lights go through the headlamp switch which does have a 30 amp fuse integral to it. That fuse is not SAE, it looks similar to a regular glass fuse but islonger than standard glass fuse.  Or your car might have a self resetting 30 amp relay up under the dash.  They began using these in late 48 but not sure what models got them. A locking brake may be related to debris in the relief port in the bottom of the mc fluid reservoir.  Look in with a flash light there should be two hole visible a small one in front of a bigger one. The small one is relief.  

I am not sure when they flipped but many late 40s Mopars had only one center mounted brake lamp.  The outer ones were running lights only.  Don't know how your years was set up.

On my quest of things to do today was locate the fuse box , thank you for saving me some grief , can you still source the glass fuse anywhere? I dont think my dash lights are working, it only has high-beam and the wipers dont work so I need to look into those as well, first car with vacuum wipers.

2 minutes ago, KyMoonshine said:

I have a long standing rule, never modify a car that you cant put back to stock in a weekend lol

I used to be more open about this,but back then you could buy a running and driving original car for less than 100 bucks in most

places.

Those days are gone forever. If you discover a car as complete as that Plymouth fastback,it's almost a sin to modify it in any way way not related to safety.

Besides,there are so many modified cars out there running around now you can usually buy one cheaper than you can build one,and be driving it the same day you buy it.

On the other hand,if you want a modified car,why not buy one that is already stripped out and then modify it to your hearts content? You can buy it a hell of a lot cheaper,and don't have to do all the work involved in stripping a complete one out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KyMoonshine said:

On my quest of things to do today was locate the fuse box , thank you for saving me some grief , can you still source the glass fuse anywhere? I dont think my dash lights are working, it only has high-beam and the wipers dont work so I need to look into those as well, first car with vacuum wipers.

You might try spraying a little WD-40 or something similar through the hose heading to your wipers after turning the wipers on. Remember,many of these cars sit for decades without the wipers being turned on,and can use a little oilish moisture.

Providing of course that your hoses are hard and cracked. If they are,replace them first and maybe the wipers will work because they are no longer leaking vacuum.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

On the other hand,if you want a modified car,why not buy one that is already stripped out and then modify it to your hearts content? You can buy it a hell of a lot cheaper,and don't have to do all the work involved in stripping a complete one out.

I want to leave it just as it is, I love that it is so stock right now, my only plans is to fix everything I can and get it running and stopping and as safe as possible with all quality parts, I need to get it driving and braking well and just drive it, I love the car a lot, two inches blocks in the rear will be a two hour job that wont hurt the car, and I'll install a donor set of coils in front and keep the originals so I can put it back stock in one afternoon. I dont want to destroy this car I promise, heck I may even decide to leave it stock height and just drive it, I'm not sure how you guys feel about red wheels but I think I am going to change them to black with chrome trim rings, I also dislike how bias plys drive, I know they are period correct but radials drive so much better in my opinion  

Edited by KyMoonshine
  • Like 2