Red Wheels?

edrendek7777

is this the same car you posted pictures of in Dec 2012?  that one does not show red wheels in those photographs.  I also do not think the wheel above is factory paint with just the outer section showing.....unless you bought this car new anything could have transpired from the day one till you got it....anything

• Like 1

I really have nothing to say on this topic other than my 52 Merc. originally had red wheels with the dark green body and that is what they still are. The pain is very faded and you can hardly see them with the full wheel covers on. 

Same car.  The photo shown then was taken after I had powder coated the wheels to match their backsides, but before I had reapplied the red to the rims with red overspray on the centers to match the originals.  All five original wheels had the same pattern of red & overspray.  Dodge obviously didn't want to waste paint (and money) painting what wouldn't show.  Similarly, Plymouth did the same thing on my 69 GTX by painting just the front side of the brake drums red where it would show through the Magnum wheels.   I don't know why you have such a problem believing Mopar did this for certain cars.  Take a look at this brochure for 53 Dodges. s-l1600.jpg  

As I recall, back in the early '60's, red wheels were for guys (like me)

who couldn't afford a set of Lancer or Fiesta  hub caps. All you had to

do was convince your self they were cool and bingo! they were. They still

put a smile on my face. 

6 minutes ago, CaptainGTX said:

Same car.  The photo shown then was taken after I had powder coated the wheels to match their backsides, but before I had reapplied the red to the rims with red overspray on the centers to match the originals.  All five original wheels had the same pattern of red & overspray.  Dodge obviously didn't want to waste paint (and money) painting what wouldn't show.  Similarly, Plymouth did the same thing on my 69 GTX by painting just the front side of the brake drums red where it would show through the Magnum wheels.   I don't know why you have such a problem believing Mopar did this for certain cars.  Take a look at this brochure for 53 Dodges. s-l1600.jpg  

I have seen brochures where poetic license shows red trim where never was featured on a production car...so a brochure is not a good statement of authenticity

On 10/4/2020 at 6:52 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

red wheels are used when your car is so butt ugly that you do not really want folks to focus on the car as if a known fact the eye will affix to the red wheels....?

That’s exactly why I wear red socks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

16 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I do not have a problem...just saw your earlier post with the wheels not red.......as for half painted wheels, I have never seen them myself but then I have never seen every car ever made...regardless if or if not factory...if the body is not red, red wheels are just ugly....

Man you reeeeeeeeeally hate the red wheels...  its good to have firm beliefs and stick to them I guess. 

On 10/4/2020 at 5:38 PM, Frank Elder said:

I love them on almost everything but that being said they have been popular since the 80s and some people think they have been over done like Cadillac tail lights and flat black paint......... Everybody’s got an opinion.....

but the only one that counts when you want something is yours.

you speak the truth, Kimosabe

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Red wheels are kinda like bloodshot eyes....people stare at them....and wonder...what caused that to happen?

Chryslerbarrelback_01_2500.jpg