Red Wheels?

edrendek7777

So this may be a stupid question being newer to this and all...  but what is the real issue with red wheels?  I have no idea why you all talk about them like they are cancer to a car...  I am honestly just trying to understand the deep hidden meaning behind all the hate...  I am just wondering if this is all personal opinion, or if there is some legitimate reason you all seem to hate them so much...  please explain to better my understanding. 

I love them on almost everything but that being said they have been popular since the 80s and some people think they have been over done like Cadillac tail lights and flat black paint......... Everybody’s got an opinion.....

but the only one that counts when you want something is yours.

• Like 3

I've seen that sentiment expressed as well, and haven't commented up till now.  I do like it on some things, but only with certain body colors, and only on certain types of cars.  I got interested in boat-tail racers back when I was in HS, and thought that someday I would build one, but I doubt it now (at nearly 65).  Anyway, my color choice was canary yellow, with red wheels.  But I would never paint the wheels for my 46 P15 red.  (I did have curb feelers on my 72 Coronet, and had thought about putting clearance lights on the roof, and rock guards on the headlights, but the cost of all of that kept me from it.  To put it in perspective, this was in the late 70's.)

Edited by Eneto-55

Just say to some that red wheels on many cars is equal to the most otherwise beautiful woman you have ever seen Except for that big wart on top of her nose. Still beautiful. Especially if she is yours!

Just their opinions really nothing exciting to me- everyone has one. Some do feel the need to remind others regularly of their opinion. Go figure.  Our current world seems to be overloaded with them- - -

No sweat to me!

DJ

• Like 3

They certainly have a look ... but the hand is so over played for so many years .... Now it looks like a cookie cutter copy.

I seen a 1960 impala drive by the other day, it was black with red wheels .... was obvious the paint was 40 years old. I really thought it looked great.

I would not change a thing.

While painting my truck black, trying to become more creative with the wheels  and thinking  yellow or tan or razzleberry

There is no "issue" with red wheels, it's simply a matter of personal taste, that's all.  Some folks just have strong opinions about them that they have no qualms expressing, one way or the other.  And some of the opining is just button pushing, it's all the more fun when you've identified the buttons and can get some entertaining reactions.  

DSC_0128.JPG.87f01e068cc486afabb33ea58081f77b.JPG

• Like 1

I think red rims on a car that has full wheel covers is ok but if you are using the 10 dogdish hub cap and the car is a totally different color than the red then they would look out of place just my feeling i have a total green car and the rims are the same color as they would have been from the factory , but if they were red then it would look like a Xmas car and not look correct.

I think you have to look at each car from a distance to determine if they would look ok or not.

Rich Hartung

IMG_2929.JPG

desoto2.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

red wheels are used when your car is so butt ugly that you do not really want folks to focus on the car as if a known fact the eye will affix to the red wheels....?

I was waiting for you to show up with your unreasonable hatred of red wheels Ha Ha Ha Ha!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

show me where I am unreasonable and red wheels are not.....its just an opinion....there are a number of stories of when and where red wheel become popular.....most go back to the Ford A where red was one of three colors available.....the 32 being a most popular rodding platform and red is an eye catcher....I just think the wheel should NEVER outshine the car itself but as stated in cases of butt ugly....red wheels could be an improvement...red wheels and hot rod black paint....two things that is over done and one combination that is just horrible looking in my eye.....running into the back of manure wagon would be an improvement.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Haha 1

It’s kind of like a patina car Tim.....whether you like them or not to spend all that money to keep a car rusty and crusty and then you spend $5000 on tires and rims, bright shiny aluminum or chrome rims to go with your patina if you’re gonna have patina you should have crusty rims......So absolutely red rims don’t go with everything. Tim I have a patina car with red rims and a inline 6 I’ll sell ya .....lol .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

red wheels are used when your car is so butt ugly that you do not really want folks to focus on the car as if a known fact the eye will affix to the red wheels....?

That is my car!!! Looks like it was painted by a one arm blind guy in a barn.

When I had my 48 I had it both ways. When I first purchased the car it had wide whites and body color wheels. Once I had to purchase new tires, I didn't want to shell out the cash for wide whites, so I bought skinny white walls and painted the wheels red. Personally I liked the contrast but that was just my opinion. 

There is that word. "Opinion". As my dear departed Grandmother used to say "Opinions are just like A$$ Holes, everyone has one and all of them except mine stink".

190538-1275517414-7cd3eb734b90728452bf35d0320ca8d9.jpg

10398753_132592568626_3856265_n.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, edrendek7777 said:

Thanks for all the replies. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any hidden meaning with them. I appreciate all opinions, being a 43 year old with a 70 year old car or 2, I just like to know what others like and appreciate.  Thanks all...

It doesn't matter what others like and appreciate. It matters what you like and appreciate. Do with your ride as you wish. It only matters when it comes time to sell it. lol

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DJK said:

Mine detract from the other flaws of the car.IMG_4948.JPG.bb119e157f35d7e6617cadd532872421.JPG

I get it ... Disguising a "Sleeper".?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hkestes41 said:

When I had my 48 I had it both ways. When I first purchased the car it had wide whites and body color wheels. Once I had to purchase new tires, I didn't want to shell out the cash for wide whites, so I bought skinny white walls and painted the wheels red. Personally I liked the contrast but that was just my opinion. 

There is that word. "Opinion". As my dear departed Grandmother used to say "Opinions are just like A$$ Holes, everyone has one and all of them except mine stink".

190538-1275517414-7cd3eb734b90728452bf35d0320ca8d9.jpg

10398753_132592568626_3856265_n.jpg

My grandmother used to say I may not always be right but I’m never wrong.

• Haha 1

On 10/5/2020 at 2:52 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

Hmm. Maybe you're right...
?

IMG_0726.JPG

• Like 1

During high school the "in thing"  was a flat black car preferably a 53 to 57 Chevy with raised front end, no front bumper, red wheels,some kind of club plaque hanging by chains from the rear bumper, steering wheel spinner, some thing hanging from the rear view mirror, blue dot tail lights and straight pipes or blown out glass packs.  Some guys did this to their 52 through 57 Ford's also.  And one fellow applied the same treatment to his Hillman Super Minx.  Me I just drove around in my black and rust 51 Plymouth not understanding why every one wanted to look the same.

Just a reminder that some Mopars, especially some early 50's models such as my 53 Coronet convertible, came from the factory with red painted wheels.  Here's a photo of what I took off the car before I repainted them & replaced the threadbare recaps with wide whites.  The car is a factory original Shoreham Ivory.

311 - 20%.jpg

2010 & earlier Canon 491.JPG