Floor board sealant options?

jerseycj8

Working on the 51 b3b and wanted some feedback on what products have been used with success to seal the multiple floor board joints/seams.  I spent lots of time cleaning off what appeared to be a caulk gun applied bitumastic sealant.

I plan on coating the underneath and inside cab with berliner after install, but with the 5 piece floor board system in this truck, I gotta assume all these seams should be sealed when assembled.

27 minutes ago, jerseycj8 said:

Working on the 51 b3b and wanted some feedback on what products have been used with success to seal the multiple floor board joints/seams.  I spent lots of time cleaning off what appeared to be a caulk gun applied bitumastic sealant.

I plan on coating the underneath and inside cab with berliner after install, but with the 5 piece floor board system in this truck, I gotta assume all these seams should be sealed when assembled.

Timely post.  I'm just about to this point myself so looking forward to the responses.

Brad

Wright or wrong, I used this product on mine 

503C9A4A-8972-4C99-98FD-A8677263C258.jpeg.51aee39dd44d035b5be3aa3d97cdfc16.jpeg

Sticks on one side Incase I wanted to remove the boards later. 

I had to trim it down to 1”, then melted the screw holes out with a hot bolt. 

• Like 2

I used a butyl sealant tape. It was actually more like a cord, so I flattened it out as I applied it. It's plenty sticky, but not as messy as something you'd use in a gun. It sticks and seals but you can remove it if need be. 

Edited by WPVT

I am kinda the opposite thought. I might make a gasket out of a old truck tire inner tube. I want the toe boards easily removable for future maintenance.

I do need to replace the floor. I have replacement floor and I have old one roughly cut out .

I am honestly thinking about welding in nuts and making new floor removable along with the toe boards. Right now I can work on the master cylinder, work on the clutch pedal bushing, lift the trans right up through the floor and access u-joints etc. So easy for future clutch or trans maintenance.

I do fear the floor is actually structural in case of a accident and should probably weld it in .... I have no desire to make the toe boards a ooie gooie mess to remove.

Was thinking about it today. As i was bolting the panels into place. Nope. Difficult enough to deal with,not adding sealant to the mix. I am making a floor mat to cover it. The rubber mat used on treadmills is tough and i scrounged several pieces from the scrap pile at the dump. Sealing around the pedals is the challenge. I did repurpose a cv boot for the shifter,for durability if anything. 

FCDAD38C-2496-428F-B270-3A26E581794E.jpeg

A2A2E16A-7781-447F-8566-92F1EBD47473.jpeg

Edited by Tooljunkie
  • Like 1

I made welting out of a hydrophobic material we had at work.  Sealing the joints can 1) make it hard to do repairs and 2) depending on the material used, lead to rust.

21 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

Wright or wrong, I used this product on mine 

503C9A4A-8972-4C99-98FD-A8677263C258.jpeg.51aee39dd44d035b5be3aa3d97cdfc16.jpeg

Sticks on one side Incase I wanted to remove the boards later. 

I had to trim it down to 1”, then melted the screw holes out with a hot bolt. 

Thank you, I am leaning this way after reading all the replies.  I am too young to have old inner tubes laying around....:)

• Haha 3

I used a foam tape like Brent that had adhesive on one side. I've had my apart since initially installing them, and they came apart easily and the foam doesn't seem to causing any issues so far. 

• Thanks 1