Air Conditioning a 1950 B2B

Has anyone ever adapted a Heating and Air conditioning blower box to fit the1948-1951 Dodge Pilothouse cab? I am hoping that there is an option such as one from a Dodge Dakota, Ford Ranger Pickup, Ford Explorer, or even maybe a Chevy S10, or Blazer. Although I prefer to try to use the Dakota so my harness from the Ram 1500 will work, I may have to cross breed and gene splice this thing. If all else fails there is Vintage Air. The one I scavenged from a 1997 Ram 1500 is just too big.

• 6 months later...

Find one from a small American ?? vehicle and change the blower motors (probably  older with mechanical controls?) with 6 volt changeover motors?

DJ

I looked at a 47’ for sale that had AC adapted to it. From what I understood, had a 12v alt with an inverter installed behind the seat to 6v for the truck function. I didn’t study it that hard but appeared everything was functioning. Im sure AC has been added to several of these old trucks. I might look for a system off a combine or older tractor (could be installed above your head). Just an idea.

I put a/c into a 69 chevy using a 97 gmc as a donor. 1/2 the heater box is recirc and venting. With that part removed it fit under dash not bad. And it would certainly fit under the 51 fargo dash with room to spare. 

unless you just happen to have the unit on hand to play with from the other car(truck) there is a better unit out there in retro land that even in my opinion beats the star players hands down, look into a Hurricane 1000, I recommend the 1000 verse the other two models based on analog and simplicity over vacuum signal and definitely over the proprietary operation of the top line electronic control package based on reported failures from the field.   Most of the time these can be connected directly to factory control cables, switch location etc etc....I find them a very easy unit to install and had the best foot print of any in the industry and if you were really concerned over looks can easily be disguised as the factory/aftermarket heater of the era....you get AC/HTR/DEF in one small package.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1