1953 Dodge Coronet Convertible Top Color

CaptainGTX

Does anyone have a Salesman Data Book for a 53 Coronet that gives the ordering codes for the color of the convertible top?  Brochures indicate they were available only in black and taupe, however, my original top is a grey color, even down the sides where it was protected from the sun and pollutants (it was stored inside for 45 years).  The code indicated on the IBM build card obtained from Chrysler Archives indicates a code "1", but Chrysler says they don't have a copy of the decode sheets for 1953.  Any help would be appreciated, even from a nearby Mopar year as I'm needing to replace the top.

Thanks,

Rich 

1953 Dodge WPC Photos 016a (4).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Call and ask Bill Hirsh's son. He may have a book with the codes and if anyone has gray he would.

I can tell you that the off white color, which my '49 had, is no longer available anyplace. Bill said he sold the last yardage he had and know one else had it either and I looked hard for a year.

One other thing to note.

Of the three or four convertible top companies out here NONE of them often have the "correct" pattern for these cars. Let me tell you why.

When research my '49 I talked with the Grand Daughter of the only company out there that is still "family owned" who manufactures tops. She told me the following story.

***Back in the 1960's when competition was tough all the top companies did what they could to "simplify" the top designs to make the tops less expensive so as to maintain market share. People purchased based on price and just wanted a top that worked. The little details did not matter. She then went on to say that most of their patterns in the pattern drawers were the last generation pattern. Sometimes, though not very often, the original factory pattern is in the bottom of the drawer and they can see the differences.****

She did not have the original factory pattern for mine, just the later revised version. So be weary of claims that they a have "the pattern" for your car.

In my case, I had the factory photos (actual photos) of a 1949 Desoto CV and we scanned them at very high density. We could clearly make out the stitch lines. In the case of the '40's Chrysler's and Deosto's the top dipped down on the side and was not a smooth line from the rear to the sides.  Her pattern did not show it. Also, in 1949 only, the entire rear window zipped out as it had 2 zippers. None of the patters show that. My car was a family car and the shredded top factory.

In the end I found a shop that does custom tops literally from scratch here in the San Francisco Area. They do all the high $$$ stuff for Roy Brizio Street Rods.

When all was said and done the top came out fantastic. It also only cost perhaps 20% more than the cost of a kit and a shop installing it.

I went black as I think it looks better.

Good luck. James.

• Like 2

Thanks, James, for taking the time to reply.  I appreciate your comments regarding your experience with convertible tops.

I plan to contact Bill Hirsh again about the top.  I had contacted him some time ago but decided to keep the old top as long as possible.  Also didn't think about asking if they knew the color codes. 

So far as I know the top is original, although I was told by a local upholsterer that the rear plexiglass window has been changed out.  I'm confident the rest of the top is original because the original owner kept detailed notes of all work done on the car, as well as most receipts.  By the way, it has only a single zipper for the rear window.

Fortunately, since I have the original top, I can always have someone replicate it.

Rich