1951 230ci flywheel removal

Dan Heston

My son and I decided to rebuild the tired 230 in our Coronet and we pulled it without any problems.  We still have the motor on the hoist because we can't get the bell housing off to put the engine on the stand.  We have a 1-7/8 nut in the middle of the clutch that would ultimately allow our access to the flywheel.  Can't keep the clutch plate from spinning to remove it.  Any help and advice is welcomed. 

This pic is taken from the back of the bell housing.

16016069313703479300930380461887.jpg

Take the clutch off the flywheel, like 7 bolts around the outside edge. Then you can access the 4 or 8 bolts bolts that hold the flywheel to the crank. Their are two 1/2 alignment dowels that will hold the bell housing on after you remove the bolts attaching the bell housing to the block. You need to drive them out with a drift punch. Be careful, every component (clutch, flywheel and bell housing) are heavy to very heavy. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, P15-D24 said:

Take the clutch off the flywheel, like 7 bolts around the outside edge. Then you can access the 4 or 8 bolts bolts that hold the flywheel to the crank. Their are two 1/2 alignment dowels that will hold the bell housing on after you remove the bolts attaching the bell housing to the block. You need to drive them out with a drift punch. Be careful, every component (clutch, flywheel and bell housing) are heavy to very heavy. 

Are the nuts you are referring to connecting the clutch to the flywheel on the front edge of the flywheel? I cod get an open end wrench in there.

I believe some are set up to accessed between the flywheel and block by rotating the flywheel to access them one at a time. You might need to grind down a box end wrench to wiggle it in.  A couple folks have mentioned that here a search may turn up the threads.

Sent a PM....