Parking brake? We don't need no stinking parking brake!

49WINDS

AB sent a.lining too thick...return it.

They and many other parts suppliers don't have a clue that lining thickness specs are necessary for proper assembly of brake parts.

Brake drum shoe linings especially must be .200" for no BS assembly on close to std drum size.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2

I'm wondering what the diameter of the old drum was compared to it being resurfaced. It would be smaller in diameter but is it too small now?

1 hour ago, SteveR said:

I'm wondering what the diameter of the old drum was compared to it being resurfaced. It would be smaller in diameter but is it too small now?

I too had wondered the same thing, but the problem is this new band is so thick that I can't get the long bolt that actuates it all the way through. I would think if the drum were too small then I would have the opposite problem where I couldn't get the band tight enough.

If you get to the bottom of this you should get a badge.

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!

Sorry I couldn't resist it. I use this all the time when my wife tells me to do something.

"Garbage? We don't need no stinking garbage!"

• Haha 1

Are you installing the new band using the procedure in the shop manual? The reason I ask is that I also thought the lining was too thick when I installed mine but there are multiple adjustment points not just the main clamp. The extra adjustment points center the band on the drum. If these are not set correctly for a new band it won’t fit.

Yes I was following the manual to a T. I actually had to bend the mounting bracket out a little bit to even get the band over the drum. It was still so big that I couldn't even get the nut on the other adjusting bolt that attaches to the brake cable. Either way I sent that band back and will try ordering one from a different supplier, fingers crossed that I'll have better luck the second time! I'll be sure to post an update when I finally get it all put back together.

Here's something to think about.  I noticed that your transmission is a standard.  That brought something to mind.  I've been working on a 47 Chrysler Royal and the engine and trans are out of the car right now.  I also recently purchased a 46 Chrysler Windsor (that has a fluid drive) as a parts car for my 48 Chrysler Windsor.  When I disassembled the 46 and pulled the engine and trans (with fluid drive) out, I set it on the floor beside the 47 engine and trans.   I noticed that the hand brake drum sizes were different.  The drum was bigger on the fluid drive set up and wider I think as well.  I don't know if that would have any relevance in your case with your 49. But it might be that the assembly that you got from AB was for a fluid drive set up.  Just a thought.

On 11/6/2020 at 7:46 PM, harmony said:

Here's something to think about.  I noticed that your transmission is a standard.  That brought something to mind.  I've been working on a 47 Chrysler Royal and the engine and trans are out of the car right now.  I also recently purchased a 46 Chrysler Windsor (that has a fluid drive) as a parts car for my 48 Chrysler Windsor.  When I disassembled the 46 and pulled the engine and trans (with fluid drive) out, I set it on the floor beside the 47 engine and trans.   I noticed that the hand brake drum sizes were different.  The drum was bigger on the fluid drive set up and wider I think as well.  I don't know if that would have any relevance in your case with your 49. But it might be that the assembly that you got from AB was for a fluid drive set up.  Just a thought.

I guess I didn't state it before by my car actually is the semi-auto with the fluid drive transmission. I made sure I ordered the band for that specific one and it did appear to be the correct one in dimensions anyways. I don't know if it was a NOS or re-lined but either way the lining was way too thick. I should've taken a picture of it but I already sent it back a week ago and now I'm just waiting for them to refund my money.

You are in the greater Denver area — there have to be a number of businesses nearby that will sell you the necessary lining right off the roll while you wait. Look for an outfit that offers truck clutch and brake service. These guys reline brakes, or have them relined, all the time.

A couple weeks ago I purchased 63" of one size lining and 54" of another size for a not-Mopar project. $127Cdn tax in with a nice profit for the vendor.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 49WINDS said:

I guess I didn't state it before by my car actually is the semi-auto with the fluid drive transmission. I made sure I ordered the band for that specific one and it did appear to be the correct one in dimensions anyways. I don't know if it was a NOS or re-lined but either way the lining was way too thick. I should've taken a picture of it but I already sent it back a week ago and now I'm just waiting for them to refund my money.

All this is very interesting because one of the things I had on my list of things to buy in my order to AB was the lining.  I won't drag this "off topic" but the last order to AB I got something that was labeled as being for my car.  But I had to do substancial modifications to it so it would function.   Returning things when you live in Canada can be costly and very time consuming, especially if US customs gets a hold of it. 

I'd really appreciate an update when all the dust settles and you can park your car on a hill without a brick.

A shop manual can save a person a lot of grief.

Thought someone would look it up.

Model C45 1949 Chrysler Windsor 6 cylinder....M6 Hydraulically Operated transmission E-Brake specifications...

Drum Diameter...7"

Drum Width........2-1/2"

Band Lining Thickness...5/32".....        or  .156".......Note 5/32" thickness

26 minutes ago, bamfordsgarage said:

You are in the greater Denver area — there have to be a number of businesses nearby that will sell you the necessary lining right off the roll while you wait. Look for an outfit that offers truck clutch and brake service. These guys reline brakes, or have them relined, all the time.

A couple weeks ago I purchased 63" of one size lining and 54" of another size for a not-Mopar project. $127Cdn tax in with a nice profit for the vendor.

That's a good thought. There is a company in the Vancouver area that still reline brake shoes.  I may contact them and see if they can reline my hand brake device.  

4 hours ago, harmony said:

All this is very interesting because one of the things I had on my list of things to buy in my order to AB was the lining.  I won't drag this "off topic" but the last order to AB I got something that was labeled as being for my car.  But I had to do substancial modifications to it so it would function.   Returning things when you live in Canada can be costly and very time consuming, especially if US customs gets a hold of it. 

I'd really appreciate an update when all the dust settles and you can park your car on a hill without a brick.

I'm not sure if it's something they may get more of in stock, but when I called AB to order this band the first time around I had asked about linings and they said they didn't have any. I think I'll take bamfordsgarage's advice and try to call around tomorrow to maybe just get my original one relined. I'll definitely update this once I get it working again, maybe even post a picture of it on a hill with the brick under the tire lol.

Edited by 49WINDS
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

You can always buy your own friction material and redo your band.  McMaster-Carr sells the right thickness.

https://www.mcmaster.com/brake-lining/

I am sure there are many other suppliers.

A video showing the process

Great video Sniper.  But when I went to McMaster-Carr, I see that they have 3/16 material but not 5/32"  which is what my C-38 has according to my manual.  I'm wondering if 3/16 would work and using a belt sander to get 1/32" removed?  Because they have 3/16 X 2 1/2" stock.

The 5/32” stock should be available locally. Save yourself time and save your lungs some abuse and get the right stuff from the start. 

On the other hand, depending how much material your machinist took off the drum diameter, the thicker lining could work. 

On 11/8/2020 at 10:29 AM, bamfordsgarage said:

Good God........you are still alive, it's nice to hear you on the forum again! Any new adventures?

3 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Good God........you are still alive, it's nice to hear you on the forum again! Any new adventures?

Hey Frank, another voice from years ago — thanks for your post. It's nice to be remembered before we expire.

No adventures in the old Dodge the past few years, but in 2017 Jerry and I cruised to Portland in his then-newly-acquired '50 Plymouth sedan. Great road trip car, too — overdrive, quiet & comfortable, 35K original miles.

Most of our older-car adventures have been in my '24 Ford T Speedster. This September we toured down to southern Alberta and into Saskatchewan for eight days. One morning we found ourselves unexpectedly entering the US — turns out the border road east off Coutts, AB is on your side of the line for 9-1/2 miles. The CBP guy (we saw three of 'em) said no problem as long as we "...stay on the road. And don't take my picture."

50 Plymouth mirror mres.jpeg

Border mres.jpeg

High pasture mres.jpeg

• Like 1

Great photo,Chris...Gotta love those roads less travelled.?

1399962844_TheRoadLessTravelled.jpeg.d05a9d09a1450338469c28d24176a27e.jpeg

Got a small update for this weekend: I ended up ordering some lining material and rivets from McMaster-Carr and installed it yesterday. Even though they don't offer the 5/32 lining I decided to try the 3/16 after talking with my friend who machined the drum for me. He said he took off about .060" to clean it up so that should hopefully compensate for the slightly thicker lining. It was relatively easy to install even though I didn't have the proper rivet punch tool, I just used a punch & drift to hammer them in. While the end results aren't perfect, they still only cost me $40 in materials so I figure It's worth a try. Here's a few pictures for fun and I'll be sure to post a picture of the hopefully successful installation onto the car later this week!

20201114_151918.jpg

20201114_130624.jpg

• Like 1

You realize now, that people are doing to be wanting you to reline their stuff, lol.

I only use my parking brake to hold the car when it's parked so I don't think it's too critical that the reline be perfect.  Of course there are times when I am driving and the car is sluggish then the smell of burning brake hits my nose and I realize, oops.  I really need a red light for the parking brake.

Edited by Sniper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1