1953 Plymouth wheel width

milo9rat

Anybody else know the original stock wheel width on a 1953 Plymouth??? I want to buy new wheels the same width as originals.... Thanks for any help, Milo

Edited by milo9rat

On 10/3/2020 at 1:49 PM, milo9rat said:

Anybody else know the original stock wheel width on a 1953 Plymouth??? I want to buy new wheels the same width as originals.... Thanks for any help, Milo

I don't know what they all where, but every one I've seen dating back to the 60s when I was working on cars every day, they were 4.5".

Edit:  Just to confirm I checked my old Hollander.  It says that Plymouth was 4.5, Dodge was 5".  Their helpful notes say Dodge won't fit Plymouth due the lack of a pilot hole (bolts vs studs), but both fit Fords.

That said, if I were buying the wheel width would be based on the planned tire size, .5 to 1" narrower than the tread.

Edited by kencombs
new info
  • Like 1

I did see a confirmation for 4.5 in width for 16 and 15 inch wheels on another site but couldn't copy it for some reason.  There have been conversations on this site about using police car wheels which are 15 x 7.  The width can be accommodated. I tried mounting 6 inch Jeep wheels on mine but the offset or back space was too deep.  Tires contacted springs on rear. I bought wheel vintiques smoothies that are 15x5 with a 4 inch back space they are working well with 205 75 and 225 75 radials. Stock hubcaps won't work. I got a set of baby moons.

IMG_20170516_153957_154.jpg.18b74e1a5893edd3ff038fc9715f938c.jpg

• Like 2

I really like your coupe "greg g".. I like the way the stock wheels are tucked under the fenders on my 53 Plymouth but want to run rims that take the 10 1/4" dog dish hubcaps.. I want to keep the tires and stock rims mounted and hate to take one apart to measure.. When I try to measure the front side and back side with a tire mounted I come up with about 4 3/4".. So I'm not sure if its a 4 1/2" or 5".. Thanks so far for the help,Milo

Edited by milo9rat
  • Haha 1

On 10/4/2020 at 3:58 PM, kencombs said:

I don't know what they all where, but every one I've seen dating back to the 60s when I was working on cars every day, they were 4.5".

Edit:  Just to confirm I checked my old Hollander.  It says that Plymouth was 4.5, Dodge was 5".  Their helpful notes say Dodge won't fit Plymouth due the lack of a pilot hole (bolts vs studs), but both fit Fords.

That said, if I were buying the wheel width would be based on the planned tire size, .5 to 1" narrower than the tread.

That's right some dodges have studs so no pilot hole. I drilled pilot holes in some aftermarket rims without too much difficulty and got them to fit

22 hours ago, milo9rat said:

I really like your coupe "greg g".. I like the way the stock wheels are tucked under the fenders on my 53 Plymouth but want to run rims that take the 10 1/4" dog dish hubcaps.. I want to keep the tires and stock rims mounted and hate to take on apart to measure.. When I try to measure the front side and back side with a tire mounted I come up with about 4 3/4".. So I'm not sure if its a 4 1/2" or 5".. Thanks so far for the help,Milo

I believe that only original wheels will take the original hubcaps. I went through 14 wheels when I was doing the '40 woodie to find 4 usable ones. I would take them down to my cousin's tire shop and he would spin check them for true. Here is what my current project (15") wheels look like:

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

they are 5" I took my old bias WW off. but I want to keep the original rim and tire together and found BGR old school 15x 5 chrome mags and have 205/70s on front and

205/75s in back. gives it a tiny bit of bad ass rack.

and performs much better

20200819_122342 (2).jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, michaelmarks697@yahoo.com said:

they are 5" I took my old bias WW off. but I want to keep the original rim and tire together and found BGR old school 15x 5 chrome mags and have 205/70s on front and

205/75s in back. gives it a tiny bit of bad ass rack.

and performs much better

20200819_122342 (2).jpg

Nice looking car!

Just to be clear, how/where was that 5" measured?(on the originals, not the new one)

Edited by kencombs
  • Like 1

I like this tucked in look, front and rear, with the stock wheels and that is why I'm trying to find out the true width of the original wheels to buy new ones that take a 10 1/4" dog dish cap....

100_4386.JPG

Edited by milo9rat
  • Like 1

If that is the main criteria, be sure to replicate the backset, or lack thereof with the new ones.  Moving the center in or out from center will move the position far more than just changing the width 1/2-1".  You may even be able to go a little wider, which is a good thing IMO, by using wheels with some backset.  Just watch steering arm interference.

• Like 1

According to the Mopar 1954 and prior year  Passenger Car Parts List published in April 1955,all 1949 - 54 Plymouth steel wheels were 15 x 4.50.  Part No.is 1320042.  Spoked wheels were available, but no size is indicated.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Guys....I'm recusing a '57 Dodge Coronet and the four tires are toast.  I was wondering if the wheels from my '52 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup will match up.....just to get the car on a trailer.

Many thanks.....

http://www.carnut.com/specs/gen/dodge50.html

Edited by Prusakowski

On 10/8/2020 at 6:33 PM, milo9rat said:

Thanks "CaptainGTX".. That's all I really wanted to know.. Now I can look for 15" x 4 1/2" wheels.. I already know the backspacing and bolt pattern...

If you are going to aftermarket wheels, up to 15X7 fit nicely and easier to find tires too.  Here's 15X7 front and 15X8 rear but the rear axle is 1" narrower than stock.

IMG_2841.JPG.f307290ece4a52db9c84887eda93bd4f.JPGIMG_4954.JPG.a0f5bd323343d190350b25d7ce9d42a6.JPG

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 2:50 PM, milo9rat said:

I like this tucked in look, front and rear, with the stock wheels and that is why I'm trying to find out the true width of the original wheels to buy new ones that take a 10 1/4" dog dish cap....

100_4386.JPG

i love this car

• Like 1