The Damp Planet?

Ulu

From the WTF news team . . .

ulake.jpg.24d0f93ab630863cfb6d36b2a1bf175a.jpg

How is an underwater lake not just a lake? Is it a lake of some other liquid that doesn't mix?

My brain hurts.

And on the very same day, On the very same page of MSN Newsfeed??

(OK I'm going for an aspirin now.)

bwater.jpg.f4dcb1b77ea5df3de14338ae9b22915a.jpg

When you bury a lake, don't you get mud? ( . . . assuming you bury it in dirt, and Mars appears to be 99% red dirt.)

So isn't the news, "RED MUD FOUND ON MARS in 3 LOCATIONS."

I'll bet it sticks in yer tires . . .

Edited by Ulu

This might help explain https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44952710

In Canada we get a channel called BBC Earth. Probably available in US too. It has a series on the planets which is so worth your time watching. It's amazing how some of the planets have changed over billions of years, especially the four rocky planets. Mars really was a damp planet at one time.

Edited by RobertKB
  • Thanks 1

I have a very difficult time trying to understand the desire to colonize Mars when it really does not have much water. What I’m saying is that there’s 3 feet of water under the south polar ice cap. A Big deal it is not.

In order to colonize a place like Mars in any serious way people will have to make lots of water and whatever else they need, by having an energy source so abundant they are able to brute-force their way into terraforming(.

If we could drop a big ice comet on Mars, To create an atmosphere plus a Lithosphere , men might have a chance of a sustainable life without such. (Well after 1000 yearss or so when the planet settled down) But that’s the sort of thing that we simply cannot do yet.

But what the heck do I know? I’m just a grease monkey with too much education.

Edited by Ulu

Interesting, My first thoughts is the weather & freezing temps on Mars, do they mean water buried under layers of ice?

Buried water just sounds wrong. We know water seems to be the corner stone of life. So any type of water on mars may suggest some chance of life forms?

Mosquitoes with icicles for stingers?

Instead of going to Mars we should just finish conquering Earth. We're not even close, but I didn't post to rant about that.

Just about the silliness of seeing both those "headlines" on the same page at once.

I was looking for one that said, "Corpse of Elvis discovered in Cryogenic Orbit".

Mars is our back up plan. When we completely destroy the earth and all its resources, we'll be ready to start a new colony there! The space ship should be called the "Plymouth" in reference to our Mopars of course, but also the Pilgrim landing spot in North America. If we could catch one of them evasive little aliens, learn to communicate, go to their home and learn a few things...That might yield better results. Are they watching us waste a ton of precious rare minerals and resources here? Are they dodging all our junk floating around in space? Wondering what in the heck we are doing?  Perhaps they populated Mars many millennia ago. They abandoned it when it was no longer able to sustain their life.

Edited by keithb7

I believe lot of hopeful theories will add up to a dead red dirtball, unless we can some day terraform on a planetary scale. Living in domes on Mars is a worse backup plan than fixing the Earth or living in domes here. I've read a million words about Mars, and as a backup plan it's a large prison. 

That doesn't mean we shouldn't explore Mars, and beyond. But as a species we don't even know how to survive responsibly in an easy situation with air and water.

What makes anyone think we're not ignoring our failure to just sneak on to the next?

It's like this: If you have 9 cars but you don't have the talent and resources to preserve the very best one, you certainly can't approach restoring a rusty hulk, once you get to it. Thinking otherwise seems a willful disregard.

It's like thinking, "our utopian idea will work, because the people will react better this time."

Imagine the Earth is fried by a captured planetoid (not hard, as it's been the subject of a hundred SF tales) and some small remnant is left to survive on Mars alone.

How would it not wind up the same?

IMO We don't want to change planets. We want to change ourselves.

That's harder than going to Mars.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ulu said:

I believe lot of hopeful theories will add up to a dead red dirtball, unless we can some day terraform on a planetary scale. Living in domes on Mars is a worse backup plan than fixing the Earth or living in domes here. I've read a million words about Mars, and as a backup plan it's a large prison. 

That doesn't mean we shouldn't explore Mars, and beyond. But as a species we don't even know how to survive responsibly in an easy situation with air and water.

What makes anyone think we're not ignoring our failure to just sneak on to the next?

It's like this: If you have 9 cars but you don't have the talent and resources to preserve the very best one, you certainly can't approach restoring a rusty hulk, once you get to it. Thinking otherwise seems a willful disregard.

It's like thinking, "our utopian idea will work, because the people will react better this time."

Imagine the Earth is fried by a captured planetoid (not hard, as it's been the subject of a hundred SF tales) and some small remnant is left to survive on Mars alone.

How would it not wind up the same?

IMO We don't want to change planets. We want to change ourselves.

That's harder than going to Mars.

Agree with all that. Imagine when they really start exploring there.......maybe they  find that there are remnants of a civilization that 'f' ed up the climate, evaporated the atmosphere and made it all uninhabitable.....far fetched but maybe the end game here yet......

Mars is a backup in case an asteroid/comet hammers Earth.  Everything is else is nowhere near enough to destroy Earth.

An aquifer is an underground lake, plenty of those around here and many are mud free. 

There is plenty of water on Mars and even the moon to sustain a large enough population that can continue the human race if anything happened to Earth.  A couple of the moons around Jupiter look promising too, but those are probably beyond our range in the near future.  Maybe my grandkid's kid's will see it.

Just an engineering problem mostly as the science to start doing these things is there.  But we are probably at the Model T era of it and not the 2021 Corvette stage.  But we won't get there is we don't start.

Edited by Sniper