Steering gearbox refresh

fireguyfire

I’ve got most of the components in the engine bay of my 1958 Sweptside rebuilt like new, and the 303 v8 engine is in for machining.

Im now at the point of refreshing my steering gearbox and I would love some tips and advice as to what to do with it.

I have the factory manual steering gearbox in my truck, and it has surprisingly very little play in it when you rock the steering wheel side to side; the tires start to turn almost instantly.

The steering adjustment screw is not tightened all the way in for adjustment, which I also understand is a good thing.

Ive rebuilt lots of things during many restorations, but never a steering gearbox.

Can anyone fill me in on how I should go about refreshing it, how far I should disassemble and clean it, etc?

It depends on what you feel comfortable with. OEM fluid should be gear oil not grease. At the very least, you should use a semi-fluid grease such as 00 or 000 like what was used on Caterpillar Tractor undercarriage back in the day. It is sticky like regular grease but has much better fluid characteristics than normal grease. Good luck on either way you decide to go. 

Lots of folks using corn harvester head grease.  I have a half a tube in my Studebaker. Works good doesn't leak.  Preferred brand is John Deere, about 6 bucks a tube at the local dealer. Al grease gets pushed to the outside, this stuff stays put liquifies under pressure but sticks in place like a semi solid when nut being compressed.

What's the condition of that grease?  If the grease is dirty, lumpy, multi-colored, it may have accumulated condensation that mixed some rust or other contaminants in with the lubricant, which may have also started to emulsify...displacing moisture is why I prefer to fill as much of the gearbox with JD corn head grease as possible, getting all the air out by working the gears back and forth...if the grease is pristine, smears easily between the fingers, doesn't smell musty, then check that system off of your list :cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1