Power inverter

Doug&Deb

I got a 6-12 volt step up transformer and I’m not sure how to wire it. There are no instructions. There are 4 wires. Positive and negative in and out. Seems simple enough but being a positive ground system has me confused. I have 2 wires under the dash added by a P.O. The red is grounded to the dash and the black is fused. What’s strange is my test light is lighting up in both. Help!

The pic above shows how my 6V-12V converter hooked up.  The left 2 wires are for the 6V going into the converter.  On this one, red is positive, so wire it to a metal ground on your chassis. Second from left, black wire will be connected to your 6V power source from your car. Whatever you choose it to be.  Something switched with the ignition would be my suggestion. Fuel level gauge is, for example.  Could splice into that power. I did, and it works great. The right two wires, yellow and black, just temporarily clip them to the connection of your new USB charger socket. If it powers up, great! If not just switch these two wires only.at the USB socket. Firm up and secure all connections. Add an inline fuse it you like for extra protection. That's it. Good to go.

Edited by keithb7

keep attention with pos. ground system:

as mine, the converter shown seems to have the 2 black "minus" cables connected!

Take an Ohm meter to verify this.

So, if You use the 12 V side, You can ONLY connect items directly to black + yellow.

You cannot connect the 12 V Item to ground and yellow as usual today.

And for sure You cannot connect yellow or black1 or black2 to ground either, because

You may get a short!

If You connect black and yellow directly to a USB loading device, that will work.

12 V sockets (and all others too) usually get installed into the dashboard, thus grounded.

If wanting a socket, You must isolate it from ground and than connect its body to black

and center to yellow!

If the 2 blacks have no connection, You don´t have to consider this problem,

but You better let an experienced person check Your installation plan over!

Greetings from Düsseldorf!

Go