Throw out bearing problem

doogan

My 1949 B1B started having a noisy throw out bearing.   So this was a good time to replace clutch and pressure plate.   

Problem 1....... after removing transmission throw out bearing would not come out.   Clutch release fork would not go back far enough for clearance so removed the 6 pressure plate bolts and took it out with removal of clutch plate and pressure plate.  

Problem 2......  Got new pilot bearing, throw out bearing, had clutch and pressure plate rebuilt and installed.   Now the new throw out bearing and carrier will not go in.   Again the clutch release fork needs to go back ( away from pressure plate) about 1/4 inch.   Well the clutch pedal is back as far as it can and touching the floorboard.    However the fork (inside bell housing) could go back another 1/2 inch or so. 

Am I doing something wrong or missing a step ?  Is the clutch pedal supposed to rest against the floor board, not toe board,  the actual cab floor?    Under truck and looking at pedals on clutch release fork shaft brake pedal and clutch pedal are not evenly aligned because clutch is against floorboard.   

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.     This is a stock 49 B1B with no modifications to it. 

Yes I did use an alignment tool so clutch and pressure plate are installed.    Problem is the clutch pedal will not return far enough back because of resting against floorboard.   It is as though the pedal is being pressed just a little.    Have decided to cut floorboard at the clutch pedal opening an inch or 2, bend up enough for pedal to came back allowing release fork to move back and allowing enough space for throw out bearing to be installed.   Then bend back the floorboard and weld up.    Hopefully this will work.

I believe the brake and clutch pedals do not align perfectly, and originally the rubber draft seals acted as a stop in a way, with the pedal arms coming very close to the bottom of the cab floor...as that rubber wore away, the pedals would start rubbing against the cab floor, and with further settling of the cab, motor and transmission mounts, the pedals could hit the cab floor and toe boards.  So with the cab out of the way, the pedals have more range of motion (scroll thru the link):

additional information - starter cable optional installation 

6 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

There should be an adjustment on the clutch pedal. You may need to back off the adjustment bolt to allow the clutch fork to move further, then readjust to the proper free play once it’s together. 

yes same part i was talking about and as Merle says, you might be able to back off adjustment bolt enough so you don't have to remove that part completely.

When I did the clutch in mine, I removed the pedal yoke from the shaft and was able to move the arm back far enough to get the throwout bearing in.  I recall it was like one of those metal magic ring things you had as a kid.  Keep moving it around and eventually they went together.

Edited by MBFowler

Thanks guys.    Finally got it in after following your instructions.   A learning curve included as I had never worked on a dodge truck myself.   Removed the clutch adjustment fixture or whatever it is called and the bearing shaft moved freely back enough to insert the bearing and carrier.  Put the adjustment thing back on and all done.   I was concerned if I took the pedal off and got the bearing in then the bearing fork would not go forward enough to get pedal back on.   Once I found the pedal stays on it was over and done.

Thanks again!!!

• Haha 1