Horn Relay Quit?

Noah H

Hello,

I have a 1950 dodge sedan. having some troubles with my horn. It sounds great while down the road, but when I’m at a stop or under 15 mph it just clicks. While driving highway speeds I can get it to sound but other than that nothing. Is there a way to clean connections or take apart the horn? There is a screw on each of the horns would this take the mushroom cap off? Any insight would be appreciated 

thanks 

Noah 

Yes, first check connections and grounds.  Don't know about a '50, but the horns in our '48 D24 were originally grounded through their mounts.  If the relay is clicking, the horns are getting at least some power.  If it's a nice, solid click, the relay is getting enough power, but the horns' grounds may not getting good contact until your car is vibrating enough at those "higher" speeds.  Sounds silly, but if the mounts/connections are even slightly loose or cruddy, that could do it.  The higher speeds can also send just enough more power through the circuit for them to work.  I added a ground wire from where the mounts are attached on the horn itself to a grounding block on the inner fender. 

That screw on the dome is only to remove the dome itself, so you can adjust the horn(s).  It's easier to do if you disconnect that wire first, remove the dome, then reconnect the wire, otherwise the dome will just hang on the wire and you have to work around it.  Good opportunity to clean up that contact while you're at it.  The Shop Manual covers how to adjust the horns, it's relatively easy to do.  But - check connections and grounds first, if they are working intermittently, that is the likely cause.

Edited by Dan Hiebert
  • Like 1