47 club coupe

John431

Howdy all

Question...took ol'Bessie out for maiden voyage today.  First thing is smooth until I got to about 20-30 mph then started to break up (I assume ignition, will be installing pertronix soon)  The other thing is while I was stopped engine stalled like it ran out gas, I took air cleaner off moved throttle "nothing" checked fuel pump bowl it was full...then dumped some fuel down the carb and it started. I'm assuming fuel pump crapped out ?

Lpols fairly new but it has been sitting for quite some time...Any suggestion, advice or info.

Thanks John

9 minutes ago, John431 said:

I'm assuming fuel pump crapped out ?

There could be an obstruction in the line or the tank or in the fuel pump itself . Some members have mentioned a small filter inside of the pump . Try blowing compressed air back into the tank to see if the flow is returned . 

If your fuel bowl was full the pump is not the problem. However, you may have an accelerator pump issue if it didn't squirt fuel when you moved the throttle linkage. 

As for 'cutting out' at 20-30 MPH, it could be that the points are not installed properly. Some have a spring that runs parallel to the points arm. If it doesn't get hooked in place properly there is very little spring tension and the points will start to bounce, or float, at higher RPM's. 

Update...I removed fuel line from carb..cranked engine...after few turns started pumping fuel reconnect line..and engine started...which I think was odd...but now to look to carb for issues since fuel pump seemed to be working....

Thanks for tips/info/ suggestions !!!

John

These old cars keep the mind busy

:  )   but for some reason she is running at the moment...I dont know what happend previously

When it stalled as if it ran out of gas...fuel pump bowl was full but nothing squirting from carb (bone dry)...all I did was disconnect the fuel line from carb...crank engine to see if fuel pump worked (it pumped) reconnect...now running fine (at the moment)...so I guess to see if it happens again..hopefully not far from home!

Thanks all for advice/suggestion !!!!     John

16 hours ago, John431 said:

And now....tried  starting it today...wouldn't start...so...disconnected fuel line from carb (again)...cranked engine...no fuel pumping from line...I "assume" a new fuel pump is in order...hopefully that will do it.

Thanks all for advice/suggestion !!!!     John

suggest you visit your connections  from pump all the way back to the tank....if a slight hole or unseated connection...it is likely to suck air as that is easier than sucking a fluid through....many have found poor connections and or pin holes and corrected to fix their similar stated problems.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Ok...here it goes

(tail between my legs)  wasn't the fuel pump...I was....umm...outta

gas...fuel gage was not correct...was reading 1/2 tank

sooo....put a few gals in...go to gas station fill-er up...get home...damn(aftermarket) fuel tank filler neck gasket leaking at tank....pumped out 15 gal of gas....with that....also noticed engine running hot 197-200 degrees...more things on the "ta-do" list...

Never a dull moment !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1