Pilot Bushing Noise

Hamilton

I installed a new clutch disc and PP I figured new pilot bushing would also be in order.  The old one hadn't displayed issues of any kind but as long as I was in there ...

The new bushing was noisy.   It wasn't terribly noisy, there were no loud grinding or or rattling sounds,. It was more of a "whooshing" sound (for you older guys, it was kinda like the sound your corduroy pants made in grammar school - you know, the ones you told your mom you'd never wear again - except that it was constant) and was present only when the clutch pedal was depressed.

Bought and installed a second bushing, using the 1/4 teaspoon of greased mentioned in the old Chrysler Corp instructional videos.  Same issue.

Bought and installed a third bushing, using no grease, but soaked the bushing in oil for about 20 hours prior to installation.  Same issue.

As part of a vibration issue I've been dealing with (in a separate thread) I just had my flywheel, disc and PP balanced - the shop said it was off by quite a lot (flywheel was about .3 ounces out of balance and the PP was a full three ounces(!) out).  I'm now wondering if perhaps it's not the bushings, but the balance issue that's been causing the noise. 

I'm inclined to reassemble as-is to see if the noise goes away before trying yet another bushing, but given the vast knowledge base here I'd like to hear your thoughts and insight before deciding how to move forward.

Thanks!

In my experience, release bearings will make noise (typically a chirping sound) when the gearbox is in the neutral position and there's no pressure on the clutch pedal, with the noise disappearing even with light pressure on the clutch pedal, whereas a pilot bushing won't make noise until the clutch pedal is depressed and the clutch disengaged.

6 minutes ago, Hamilton said:

In my experience, release bearings will make noise (typically a chirping sound) when the gearbox is in the neutral position and there's no pressure on the clutch pedal, with the noise disappearing even with light pressure on the clutch pedal, whereas a pilot bushing won't make noise until the clutch pedal is depressed and the clutch disengaged.

Your experience differs from mine.  Release bearings do not move, thus make  no noise at all unless The clutch pedal is depressed enough to move the bearing into contact with the pressure plate fingers.

The pilot bearing / bushing can only make noise when the input drive gear is moving at a different speed than the crankshaft, clutch depressed.

The noise you described above sounds like misadjusted clutch pedal free play allowing the bearing to just lightly touch the fingers at all times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kencombs said:

Your experience differs from mine.  Release bearings do not move, thus make  no noise at all unless The clutch pedal is depressed enough to move the bearing into contact with the pressure plate fingers.

The pilot bearing / bushing can only make noise when the input drive gear is moving at a different speed than the crankshaft, clutch depressed.

The noise you described above sounds like misadjusted clutch pedal free play allowing the bearing to just lightly touch the fingers at all times.

I hate when I'm wrong, but in this case I clearly was.  I guess that's what I get for dealing with slushbox cars for so long - haven't dealt with a clutch in some years now. 

Obviously the release bearing can't make any noise in a properly adjusted system.   Thanks for the reminder - I'll take a good look at the clutch pedal free play.

_