Coil spring question

Dan Hiebert

It's a short story that I can make longer, but I won't.  I currently have my brother-in-law's 1957 Ford Custom sedan to work on.  The vast majority of issues it has I've dealt with on other cars, but there are two twist-in blocks, that look like they're made for this, in the driver's side coil spring.  I know they're there to increase the ride height.  They're only on the one side, though, and that side is noticeably higher than the passenger side.  What I don't know is "why"?, although I suspect the car was in an accident long ago.  Do you'uns think it's a good bet that the spring is no good?  (Of course, that would entail replacing both front coils.)  And what else should I check?  I'm hoping there is no severe damage that this is trying to overcome.  The biggest challenge in fixing this car are all the Mickey Mouse repairs that have been done to it over the years, this being one of them.  I'm not planning on doing anything on the car that will immobilize it until winter sets in, so there's no rush, just trying to get my ducks in a row before I start the big projects on it.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, kencombs, that did the trick.  Removed the blocks and the car evened out (seems kind of "duh" now), and steers much better, too.  I was thinking that with two blocks in only one side they were trying to remedy something.  Apparently, they were going for some mild custom appearance with the front jacked up a bit, and the blocks in one side had fallen out at some point.  Still befuddles me that no one either noticed or bothered to fix it in the ensuing years.  Oh, well.  One item checked off the punch list...