AMP GAUGE

48ply1stcar
Go to solution Solved by 48ply1stcar,

Everything seems to be a draw on system , 6 volt postitive ground. The guage normally sits a needles-with left of the "0" I just thought that the needle wasn't centered. Lately eveything seems to have a draw the system, even the brake lights. The turn signals have always moved the guage, but the now the radio has a huge draw as does the head lights. Every now and then the guage swings wildley left and right, sometimes after a bump in the road. Occasionally the guage does show a charge, but no often. Any sugestions?

Stating the obvious,  but there is a problem with the charging system. You might start with confirming solid connections at all points in the charging system wiring, especially grounds. If that looks good, you are down to dealing with a faulty generator, regulator or ammeter. Checking the battery voltage with an analog meter while the engine is running will tell if the battery is being charged. A reading less than 7v indicates a weak or inop system.

There is a great solution to charging problems but I've already expressed my opinion on that in several threads.  ?

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Stating the obvious,  but there is a problem with the charging system. You might start with confirming solid connections at all points in the charging system wiring, especially grounds. If that looks good, you are down to dealing with a faulty generator, regulator or ammeter. Checking the battery voltage with an analog meter while the engine is running will tell if the battery is being charged. A reading less than 7v indicates a weak or inop system.

There is a great solution to charging problems but I've already expressed my opinion on that in several threads.  ?

I second that great solution!!!!

• Solution

Well once again Don Coatney provided me with the answer.  Polarize the voltage regulator.  Well it least now charging.  Voltage at battery was 6.32 and no change when running.  After polarizing voltage requlator 7.5 when running with a little throttle.  At idle the amp gauge needle fluctuates and then steadys with a little throttle.

Capture.JPG

48 minutes ago, 48ply1stcar said:

At idle the amp gauge needle fluctuates and then steadys with a little throttle.

With the fluctuating needle don't be surprised if the genny or reg is not long for this life.................   ?

• Like 1