Leaf springs need tempered/replaced

LrudyD

4 hours ago, LrudyD said:

After removing the wheels and gas tank, I want to go ahead and remove the leaf springs to get them re-tempered, or get a new set.  What are your thought between the two? Also, do you have any connections for new ones?

I just bought new ones for my P-15. Price didn't seem much different than the quotes I was getting to redo my originals from local trucking companies,so I went with the new ones.

BTW,I am of the opinion that other than a total brake rebuild,new springs and shocks are one the best things you can do for a old car.

• Thanks 1

I have to admit the price seems fair at Eaton, and they have a long run of good quality reputation.

I once had a old 1 ton work van with worn springs. I checked at a local spring shop in Spokane. Was a big shop and very busy, main work was semi trucks.

This was 10 years ago.

They said make a appointment, drop the van off, they would have it done in a few hours. $250 .... I thought the price was ridiculously low.

I suppose they have the equipment & it takes them  just a few min for them to pull the springs. Then the re-arching is mostly just labor ... so maybe price was reasonable.

I never did get the work done. I always wondered just how long they would last after being arched. For a old 1 ton the thing just floated down the highway with worn springs and rode really nice. I ended up leaving them alone.