B series truck help

Frank Gooz

I am truck shopping and need some education. The B trucks are called Pilothouse. I am seeing trucks for sale that do not have the quarter window. I missed out on a half ton "1948" flatbed and now I see a "1953" the same no quarter window. I do not know why. Would someone educate me on this era of truck I have tried to read about them and have not came across this cab information yet.

the rear 1/4 windows were an option, not a standard item.  fwiw, my '48 b-1-fa has them.  not that the quarter-windows are particularly useful in my truck....can't see a whole lot out of them.

P2050002_(2).jpg

P1120001.jpg

my '52 b-3-c doesn't have them.

52-dodge-2008-12-07_006.jpg

Edited by wallytoo
  • Like 1

The "Pilot-House" moniker was given to the B-Series trucks due to their "All-around" visibility like in the Pilot House of a boat. However, as stated, only the Deluxe and Custom cabs got the corner glass. The Standard cab did not. Also, the Standard cab did not get the wing/vent windows in the doors. They only had a single roll up window. 

To add to the confusion, as I understand it, the Canadian built trucks never got the corner glass on any models, but they still seem to get the Pilot-House nickname.  

On 9/14/2020 at 7:43 AM, Merle Coggins said:

The "Pilot-House" moniker was given to the B-Series trucks due to their "All-around" visibility like in the Pilot House of a boat. However, as stated, only the Deluxe and Custom cabs got the corner glass. The Standard cab did not. Also, the Standard cab did not get the wing/vent windows in the doors. They only had a single roll up window. 

To add to the confusion, as I understand it, the Canadian built trucks never got the corner glass on any models, but they still seem to get the Pilot-House nickname.  

anything is possible, such as doors swapped to wing/non-wing, etc.

however, the '52 standard-cab b-3-c my dad purchased in 1983 has vent windows.  nothing to indicate they weren't original to the truck when he purchased it.  truck originally came from north carolina.  note the red under the door card matches the red of the cab roof, while the remainder of the truck (dash, lower door & exterior) was painted maroon/burgundy.

edit:  in looking at Bunn's book, my '52 is a deluxe cab rather than a standard cab, as it has electric wipers, the dome light, and dual wing vent windows.  so, merle was correct.  according to Bunn, the deluxe cab didn't come with cab corner windows.  a custom cab would also have the driver armrest, cab corner (quarter) windows, and dual sun visors, too.

also, the standard/deluxe/custom "standards" changed from 48-50 to 51-53, with some gains and losses depending on which level was chosen, ie, cab corner windows for deluxe and custom 48-50, but only for custom 51-53, and dome light/electric wipers only for custom 48-50, yet for both deluxe and custom 51-53.  etc.

Edited by wallytoo
  • Like 1

My 52 PU has no 1/4 windows but did come with vent windows.

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

My 52 PU has no 1/4 windows but did come with vent windows.

Me three, the B4D has wing windows without the 1/4 glass. 
I open the cowl vent and wing windows and tell Julie It’s the “A/C” And “hang on” 

got to say, I love the no seat belts.... If I hit a corner just right, she slides right over to me ?

Edited by Brent B3B
Spelling
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2020 at 12:37 PM, Brent B3B said:

Me three, the B4D has wing windows without the 1/4 glass. 
I open the cowl vent and wing windows and tell Julie It’s the “A/C” And “hang on” 

got to say, I love the no seat belts.... If I hit a corner just right, she slides right over to me ?

I think they called that the SOS move, for slide over sweetheart. *Grin* 

• Haha 1