Engine identification flat 6 - Chrysler 1941

JJ-1941

I am trying to ID this engine in my 1941 Chrysler.

Long block 25 in. flat 6

Casting block: J260 and 666029 (at the starter area)

Casting cyl. head: H60     683018

Interestingly, the usual area for the block numbers right below the cyl head is raw casting without any numbers.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by JJ-1941

Top side of motor at front of block above generator/alternator mount area just below the head is a machined area that the factory stamped a number as the car the motor was installed in was a  Cap - C ######### or D or P or S for cars. Trucks got A T-###### etc. Some where sold as Industrial uses and got other designations such as IND.#######

That will tell for what it came in and year,  often but Not always displacement. Where to start.

DJ

DJ, the area you mentioned is not machined, no numbers, nothing. It is raw casting, rough.

Sniper is right I guess, there is no way to tell from the outside.

Has anyone else an engine like that ? I mean without a machined area.

Does J260 stand for February 1960 ?

It could be a replacement block, NOS perhaps. But looking at the bolt-heads, they don't look 1940's to me.

Any wild guess anyone ?

4 hours ago, JJ-1941 said:

DJ, the area you mentioned is not machined, no numbers, nothing. It is raw casting, rough.

Sniper is right I guess, there is no way to tell from the outside.

Has anyone else an engine like that ? I mean without a machined area.

Does J260 stand for February 1960 ?

It could be a replacement block, NOS perhaps. But looking at the bolt-heads, they don't look 1940's to me.

Any wild guess anyone ?

I have never se en one without the flat space for the model number,but I am GUESSING it might be an industrial engine or an engine used in military contract trucks.

Or a factory replacement engine sold/used for replacement under warranty so the dealership can stamp the correct serial number for the engine on this flat area.

I sold an engine to a guy from Tx (I think he is a member here,but chemo has destroyed my memory) that was restoring a 35-36 flat bed farm truck that had no engine. He and I were both pleased when I pulled the engine and trans to crate up and send to him,and discovered this boss was blank. He would be able to stamp the engine number on his title on the engine,and have a matching numbers truck.

Of course,it takes the "right" stamps to do this properly.

Edited by knuckleharley

Hey JJ 1941

I have a 1939 Chrysler that is actually a Plymouth, long story but it's a right hand drive that was imported from Canada to New Zealand. I have the same numbers on the block 666029 that you have. I have T38 xxxxx stamped on the the flat space where the serial number is. Looking it up it says its from a 37 Dodge 1/2 ton truck. Definitely not as its a 25 inch block as well. Its in the shop for a rebuild and I am having fun finding parts for it  as nothing makes sense with the engine number etc. If you find anything else out about you engine I would like to know.

Cheers Mike

Thank you all for your replies and help, I appreciate it.

Knuckleharley, I had the same thought, factory replacement.

Mike, mine is a Canadian block too, 25 inch. The pad for the numbers is rough cast, all sides. The pad itself is thicker than other block pads with numbers on it, double thickness I would say.

I am not 100% sure, but it is most likely a factory replacement block, based on my gut-feeling and common sense.

4 hours ago, JJ-1941 said:

Mike, mine is a Canadian block too, 25 inch.

All Chrysler engines, Desoto engines and the Canadian Plymouths were the 25" block.

If it's a replacement block for the original Chrysler 6 cylinder the 241 was used at that time.

On 9/16/2020 at 12:59 PM, Mike Rimu said:

Hey JJ 1941

I have a 1939 Chrysler that is actually a Plymouth, long story but it's a right hand drive that was imported from Canada to New Zealand. I have the same numbers on the block 666029 that you have. I have T38 xxxxx stamped on the the flat space where the serial number is. Looking it up it says its from a 37 Dodge 1/2 ton truck. Definitely not as its a 25 inch block as well. Its in the shop for a rebuild and I am having fun finding parts for it  as nothing makes sense with the engine number etc. If you find anything else out about you engine I would like to know.

Cheers Mike

I believe prior to the redesign in 39 the dodge trucks of all sizes were using the longer 6. 

2 hours ago, Young Ed said:

I believe prior to the redesign in 39 the dodge trucks of all sizes were using the longer 6. 

I could be wrong given my recent memory problems,but I THINK all the flat 6's put into Canadian cars used the 25 inch block,even if it was a 230.

2 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

I could be wrong given my recent memory problems,but I THINK all the flat 6's put into Canadian cars used the 25 inch block,even if it was a 230.

I was referring to the confusion about a 37 dodge 1/2 ton with a long 6

• Like 1

Young Ed

I'm confused as hell!! I have a 1939 sedan that has a Chrysler badge but is a Plymouth P8 with a 25 inch block that has T38 stamped on it LOL!!!

I,  F en don't know if there could be a more mixed up car out there, and it drives down the wrong side of the road!! Sadly I don't know the history as there is no paperwork with it. But there were imported from Canada into New Zealand and depending on the car yard/ representative /importer   who got what to promote and sell either a Plymouth or Chrysler

Mike

1939 Chrysler:Plymouth.jpg

18 hours ago, Young Ed said:

For 1937 & 38, Dodge used long block 218s in the 1/2, 3/4, and one tons. Before and after that they use short blocks. My 1938 RC 1/2 ton has a long block. According to the build card it is the engine that was installed on October 5, 1937.

Pete