Engine Machine Work Questions

billrigsby

Sorry, but this will be the first of 'probably' many questions as I go through this re-build.

If it were a Yamaha 2-Stroke Twin of the 80's, could do it blindfolded, had the whole series

from 79 Daytona Special to 85 RZV 500 V-Twin (Canadian, Not Japanese with the aluminum frame ?).

But I digress.....

Got the price sheet from Rocky Mountain Machine, these guys come highly recommended, even 

recommended from a shop that was recommended, if that makes sense.

Block.PNG.64ecb6efc663b6780c14109852a19693.PNG Head.PNG.762351ce424c7451e972f4228b605131.PNG

Some of my needs are obvious, starting with hot tanking and magnafluxing.

Bore and hone, cam bearings, valve seats, valve guides, wrist pin bushings. (Missing anything)?

Mill the block and head?

I am using a NOS crank and head, any need to magnaflux? Would think not, crank - Grinding? Polishing?

Like I said, if this were an 80's motorcycle engine!

Will need some guidance on a flathead, helped with a few small blocks, but still very different.

Wanna do it ONCE and RIGHT.

THANKS!

Well I called and scheduled to bring my block down to be hot tanked and magnafluxed on Friday, found out any machine work would be 2 months out...?

Would not feel right using his services for those two items and then taking it somewhere else, I guess it is what it is. I thought everyone was supposed to be staying home and being safe LOL.

I'll talk to him, and see if he can recommend someone to get it done quicker, but I'd really like to have these guys do it they come so highly recommended.

Well, we'll see what happens I guess if the block is crap it really doesn't matter, dilemmas dilemmas  ?

The last time I talked to the local machine shop was a few weeks after the other machine shop abruptly closed due to the owner retiring and couldn't find a buyer...apparently all of his big equipment that he bought in the 50s was wore out, so no takers...the remaining shop was realistic, pointing out that his volume business is sbc dirt track racers and heavy construction equipment, flatheads were simple and easy but setting up equipment was the hangups, it would have to be grouped with other straight block work and the flat heads were sorta unique nowadays...he figured 12 week lead times in the winter and summer, maybe a little less in between...that's the downside of being the only game in town...I asked if they had considered expanding their business,  and they'd smile with short splainin of how much of a logistical pain in the mmhmm that would be...and that's the way it goes with businesses that advertise by word of mouth :cool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lonejacklarry said:

I have never (about 50 years) found a machine shop that was not 6-8 weeks "out".  Compounding that problem is that the reality that it will be much longer.  Good shop or bad shop....it does not seem to make a difference

That has been my experience also, good shops get lots of work.  My last experience was a surprise though.  I dropped of my head to be cut and asked when it might be ready.  He said:  you can pick it up tomorrow afternoon.  And I did.  .060 thinner and flat!

2 hours ago, lonejacklarry said:

I have never (about 50 years) found a machine shop that was not 6-8 weeks "out".  Compounding that problem is that the reality that it will be much longer.  Good shop or bad shop....it does not seem to make a difference

You can take that to the bank!

Let's not even get started on how long your junk is in "paint prison;" body shops and engine machine shops always seem to have more work than they can handle.  

2 hours ago, Old CWO said:

You can take that to the bank!

Let's not even get started on how long your junk is in "paint prison;" body shops and engine machine shops always seem to have more work than they can handle.  

In most cases,  the customers that bring the most repeat business (like ins company  or big dealer shop)  get moved to the front of the line.  So guys that do one a year, (or lifetime) keep getting pushed to the back.  They get done only when there is nothing else to do or the owner pushes the right buttons.

I understand why they do that, but that doesn't mean I like it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 7:28 PM, billrigsby said:

Well I called and scheduled to bring my block down to be hot tanked and magnafluxed on Friday, found out any machine work would be 2 months out...?

Well, we'll see what happens I guess if the block is crap it really doesn't matter, dilemmas dilemmas  ?

Block is GOOD! ?

Now to wait for the machine work,

hopefully it will be a Christmas Gift.  ?

• Like 1