Electrical choke

Kingsway51

Hi. Would be nice if someone could explain the function of this

( see picture)electrical choke at my Dodge Kingsway 1950 flathead engine. The coil inside works fine when I add 6 volt power, but should the damper in carburator close totally when engine is cold and you make a start? One more thing, under the chokeunit there is a asbetos "seal". Whats the purpose of this?

20200910_204333.jpg

When cold, the electrical signal from the starter solenoid releases the spring inside what is basically a stove. The cold spring shuts the choke butterfly.  As the spring in the stove warms up, the spring reacts to the heat slowly opening the choke butterfly and when fully open is held there. On the later carbs the position of the spring has a bit of adjustment so it doesn't run an over rich mixture when operating with the butterfly till to fully retracts.  Think this feature came along in 53 or 54.

The unit you are showing is a sission automatic choke and it sits on top the manifold. The rod is attached to the choke value on the top of the carter carb.  There is a wire that comes off the starter selinoid to power the unit when the car is started.  The gasket is required to be under the base of the unit.

The choke is an electro magnetic choke that when the temp is cold the bi-metal plate under the body will set the choke to close on the carb. As the engine warms up the sring get heated and then slowly releases the tension and the choke thn opens up.

These chokes are very expensive when found asa NOS unit running from 175-almoSt $300. dO NOT BEND THE BI METAL PLATE.

There isa special way to setup this choke and if you have a service manual on your car it will explain the set procedure.

If you basically live in a warm weather climate all year round you can get away without having the choke setup but if you get any cold weather this helps with col starting procedures.

I can explain more in detail if you contact me directly Someone downloaded the presentation that I did at the AACA annual meeting look this over and then ask questions.

rich hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939