1953 B4B oil filter housing

Rakillia

Hello all, I'm Mike from New Jersey

I have a 53 B4B with a missing oil filter housing or it never had one, or I'm just an idiot.  From the pics I'm seeing it would be hard to miss.  

Vin 82309498

Engine Code T306*I37282

https://flic.kr/p/2jF544m

Most that I have seen were rather large with a T handle.  I can't really tell how they are plumbed from the pictures but it looks like a line is going to where my pressure sender is now.  

https://flic.kr/p/2jF1CHA

I can see 2 ports above the pressure relief but they are small.  Like a brake line.  I'm guessing that blind hole could be a mount point but its small and not threaded.

What I would really like is to find the exact housing that would of been on this truck in 1953.  Short of that at least what reasonably could be considered right for that era.  I don't want to mess with aftermarket remote filters.

Oil filters were an option, or dealer installed item, back then. My truck didn't have one when I got it. I found one and added it. 

Regarding the 2 ports above the pressure relief that you see... The one directly above the relief valve is the connection port for the filter return. The one just ahead of that, with no threads, is a dip stick port that isn't being used. It has a cup plug pressed into it. Slightly above these ports you will see a ridge running along the side of the block with 3 or 4 port in it. One of them will be feeding your oil pressure gauge. This is the oil pressure gallery. Use one of these ports to feed pressure to your filter (likely the one seen in the same picture), if and when you get one. 

8 hours ago, JBNeal said:

Thank You.  I did read that thread and it caused some confusion.  That was the pic I was referring to with the oil line going to where my pressure sender is.  It shouldn't matter which send port I use and the return is above the pressure valve.  So I'll pull those 2 plugs, match the threads and form up some lines.  

Thank You Merle Coggins, So being basically after market there is no "right" housing.  It's just whatever the dealer had. I'm seeing them in lots of colors and badging and sizes.  I think the challenge with that is finding the correct mounting bracket.  Unless the pics are deceiving and they are the same diameter? None I've found include the mounting bracket.

Some examples

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Purolator-Oil-Filter-Canister-with-P-40-Element-Chrysler-Dodge-Plymouth-Chev/293375783100?epid=191629813&hash=item444e8f30bc:g:juYAAOSw1lFd1x2i

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-canister-oil-filter-housing-861029-36-48-Plymouth-Dodge-P15-flathead-6/163967443725?fits=Year%3A1950|Make%3ADodge&epid=15035569643&hash=item262d38a30d:g:o3QAAOSwv7ld4esL

8 hours ago, Worden18 said:

I have some spares that came with my 48 B1D.  Might have a mounting bracket.  I'll check tonight when I get home from work.  I'll send you some pics.

I'd really appreciate that 

While I have your attention, I dropped the pan and it had a thick layer of black goo on the bottom.  

50329030377_0d8dd453b6_b.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the internals but you wouldn't see much.  Just a black void.  The cam and the cylinders looked good.  Usually I'd run some mmo or atf through to clean it out but I'm hesitant with this engine.  It runs great, has good oil pressure, I made sure the pickup screen was good and clean.  I'm more tempted to leave well enough alone.

That's not too bad...I've pulled oilpans off of flatheads that have sat outside for decades and there was plenty of surface rust inside from condensation...the '49 had enough sludge scraped out that I made a softball out of it (sorry, that Polaroid has gone lost)...I took a low-tech approach to cleaning the block internals by using the blue shop towels to wipe down every surface, then dipped a few in lacquer thinner to get the tougher carbons off...put all them filthy towels in a brown paper bag and used it to let the smoke out of the brush pile at the bottom of the hill...waste not, want not :cool:

Here's the 3 I found in my stash.  The 2 on the ends are exactly the same except for one has the mounting bracket.  The blue one in the middle is shorter in length but has a mounting bracket as well.  

The blue one's mounting holes range from 4.690 down to 3.580.

The larger canister with the handle on top has mounting holes in this range:

4.860 down to 3.740.  

they are all in good shape, just need to be cleaned up and painted if you go that route.

IMG_20200910_224433115~2.jpg

IMG_20200910_224441911~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18

Thank You Worden18! PM sent

12 hours ago, JBNeal said:

That's not too bad...I've pulled oilpans off of flatheads that have sat outside for decades and there was plenty of surface rust inside from condensation...the '49 had enough sludge scraped out that I made a softball out of it (sorry, that Polaroid has gone lost)...I took a low-tech approach to cleaning the block internals by using the blue shop towels to wipe down every surface, then dipped a few in lacquer thinner to get the tougher carbons off...put all them filthy towels in a brown paper bag and used it to let the smoke out of the brush pile at the bottom of the hill...waste not, want not :cool:

I just sprayed a lot of brake clean and got out what I could but more concerned of oil galleys getting clogged.  I think I will just leave it alone