Cab to Frame Bolts

bambamshere

In a crash is is better to have bolts that stretch a lot before breaking rather than sheer off but at a higher pressure.  Both have places were one is the preferred choice over the other in different uses.

In that crash (god I hope not) that it might even matter in these older cars/trucks it will not make even a small difference I hate to say!  ?

DJ

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

In a crash is is better to have bolts that stretch a lot before breaking rather than sheer off but at a higher pressure.  Both have places were one is the preferred choice over the other in different uses.

In that crash (god I hope not) that it might even matter in these older cars/trucks it will not make even a small difference I hate to say!  ?

DJ

Are you saying stay with class 5 or go to class 8. Think it was stay with the class 5. I guess in future when putting seat belts in probably should go to class 8

26 minutes ago, bambamshere said:

Are you saying stay with class 5 or go to class 8. Think it was stay with the class 5. I guess in future when putting seat belts in probably should go to class 8

I would stay with the grade 5 bolts.  They should be more than strong enough and as DJ said, they will stretch to some extend before breaking.  

• Thanks 1

Oh ok sounds good. I will have to go buy more as I had to cut last 2 off. They seem to be 1/2 inch X 5 inch long. Thanks still wondering about the seat belt bolts. I don't think they can be class 5. Going to have to look a bit around. 

Well that was quick seat belt bolts need to be class 8.8 (8). Oh well I will buy 2 class 8 bolt when I put belts in. 

Edited by bambamshere

Is the requirement 8.8 or 8?  8.8 would be a metric bolt and I was told years ago to be the equivalent of a SAE grade 5 and a 10.9 metric to be equivalent of SAE grade 8.  Perhaps one of our resident engineers can clarify .

• Thanks 1

On a design/construction note, most seat belts are attatched to body, double thickness sheet metal,and a welded nut on backside. Not thru-bolted to frame. 
as seat belts arent required in my truck, it wont be getting them. 

if you choose to use seat belts,fastening to floor with an extra plate may be a better choice. 
in the event of cab seperating from chassis, i would rather be tethered to the cab. 

• Like 1

I understand the laws and all Tooljunkie but I installed 1997 Dakota bucket seats in mine this year and the have a place for the buckle on the seat. So now I think I have to. I have searched Manitoba laws about it and can't find anything and our police need anything to collect revenue on Sunday nights. I will just install them.

If vehicle was manufactured without seat belts, it doesent require them,regardless what seats are in it. I dont need a heater or signal lights either, as it didnt have when it rolled off the assembly line. 
In the regs i posted above, it mentions seat belts 1970 and up as required. 
i get it, i may put some in mine, mainly in case i take a kid for a ride. Seat base mounts will be sufficient.