Please give your opinion

Robert5

Check your brake hose fittings where the rubber hose goes into the end fitting.  I had this happen a few times with brake hoses.  Rust forms on the ID of the hose fitting and squeezes the hose inside the fitting closed or close to closed.  Hydraulic pressure from the brake pedal can push fluid in but return springs have a hard time pushing the fluid back out.  Brakes hang up.  Seems like this would happen all the time, not just after a hard left in reverse and a hard right in first but is easy to check.

36 minutes ago, squirebill said:

Check your brake hose fittings where the rubber hose goes into the end fitting.  I had this happen a few times with brake hoses.  Rust forms on the ID of the hose fitting and squeezes the hose inside the fitting closed or close to closed.  Hydraulic pressure from the brake pedal can push fluid in but return springs have a hard time pushing the fluid back out.  Brakes hang up.  Seems like this would happen all the time, not just after a hard left in reverse and a hard right in first but is easy to check.

Thanks Bill. I will check it.

I think maybe you have shoes that are too tight on the anchor bolt somewhere. As well as a slightly tighter toe end in a shoe. Either in front or a front side rear shoe.

The little bit of rust or whatever that happens after sitting makes the brake drag the drum , forward movement then actually pulls the shoe tighter until it's overcome. Check to make sure the shoes can pivot freely on the anchor bolts and that shoe adjustment isn't closer at the toe end of any shoes.

3 hours ago, 50mech said:

I think maybe you have shoes that are too tight on the anchor bolt somewhere. As well as a slightly tighter toe end in a shoe. Either in front or a front side rear shoe.

The little bit of rust or whatever that happens after sitting makes the brake drag the drum , forward movement then actually pulls the shoe tighter until it's overcome. Check to make sure the shoes can pivot freely on the anchor bolts and that shoe adjustment isn't closer at the toe end of any shoes.

OK.....next to check on my list.....thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.....I have somewhat of a conclusion to the story.

Replaced the 2 wheel cylinders in that right front.

It has been started and backed out and turned hard left to go down the street 3 times 

so far. No issues. Seems like the problem may be gone. I cannot swear it will never 

show up again.....but it's gone for now.

So it does appear that perhaps one of those non-leaking wheel cylinders was manufactured 

slightly off and with the steering movements the piston may have been hanging up a bit 

initially.

And one more thing, one of the shoe bolts does seem to go into a plate attached to the steering linkage ( correct me if I'm wrong) so everything can be stressed by extreme steering input, perhaps just a enough to complicate things.

• Like 2