'52 wayfarer engine swap

eddie spaghetti

41 minutes ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

the 300 is probably a foot longer, you will be driving an "altered"

for the amount of work involved you have 2 results...

1. HEMI = cool

2. 300 = blah

Same work, different outcome but that's my opinion.

You will need an adapter unless you bolt a factory powerflite to it, see QEC link I posted above.  The 904 doesn't work because of starter location so it will be a 727 or 518 if you want an OD.

Hot Heads sells GM trans adapters if thats the route you wish to take.

Dump the F.D.

I agree. The 331 would be cool if you were building a fenderless 50-60's style hot rod,but a ton of "blah" as well as a ton of work in a 40's car with fenders.

If you absolutely MUST have a hemi,go for a modern 5.7 and be done with it. Makes more than twice the power,parts are cheaper and easier to find,and it even gets decent gas mileage.

In the spirit of full-disclosure, I am going to put a 330 DeSoto hemi in a 33 Plymouth coupe,but I am building a "period car". I am recreating what I would have liked to have been afford to build in the 60's. The most modern part in the car will be the 61-62 push-button 727. I am even going to run "big and little" whitewalls and "Full Moon" disc hubcaps on it. I will definitely run it with a hood top,and maybe with the hood sides. The hood sides may seem contrary to what I wrote above,but not in a 33 painted flat-black with Moon disc hubcaps. I am building a PERIOD car,not a "hemi car".

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

The hood sides may seem contrary to what I wrote above,but not in a 33 painted flat-black with Moon disc hubcaps. I am building a PERIOD car,not a "hemi car".

In a museum somewhere I think possibly the henry ford museum there was an early rod with a hemi. It ran the full hood but the corners of the hemi was just a little wide. So there was a cutout in the hood side with just a little hemi valve cover sticking through. Looked awesome to me. Gives anyone who knows a sneak peak without even opening the hood.

or just buy a new car with all those electrons....  

In all seriousness, it's what each of us wants in an old car.  I hate fuel injection/ LS swaps/ 350/350 combos

for instance, Dad - fuel injected / Mustang II / AC   Me - carbed / clips / loud / fun .  We constantly argue :)

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

2 hours ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

the 300 is probably a foot longer, you will be driving an "altered"

for the amount of work involved you have 2 results...

1. HEMI = cool

2. 300 = blah

Same work, different outcome but that's my opinion.

You will need an adapter unless you bolt a factory powerflite to it, see QEC link I posted above.  The 904 doesn't work because of starter location so it will be a 727 or 518 if you want an OD.

Hot Heads sells GM trans adapters if thats the route you wish to take.

Dump the F.D.

Or a cast iron Torqueflite.  Heavy, maybe hard to find, but a good solid transmission that will bolt right on.

Agree with 'Dump the F.D.'   I'd only consider one of those if doing a full restore, jus tto be correct.

21 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Andy,

Did you include a anti-drain back valve in the oil pressure side of the system near the block off plate? Concerned me mostly because of the raised location and length of hose to reach to the filter and finally back to the motor.

Am I understanding correctly what you did?

DJ

DJ.......to be honest I can't remember it was that long ago and I'm pretty sure I didn't add anything other than what an LA 318 had, ie, here in Oz they have the oil filter mounted on top of the engine at the front so I assumed that where I mounted the filter would be o/k.....I think I checked with a few people but it was that long ago......47yrs since the V8 installation.........its running the stock oil pump and runs on 40psi..at least thats what the oil gauge says........the out line from the adaptor plate runs to the filter, then from the filter to the oil cooler then from the oil cooler straight back to the adaptor that bolts onto the side of the block.............andyd   

The Q is about having a dry oil start up because of oil drain back to the pan when parked. Maybe the stock oil filter has that anti drain back built into it?

Well after all the years you have owned and driven this old car of yours it certainly  did not cause you any problems. LOL

Just keep on truckin'!!  ?

DJ

7 hours ago, Young Ed said:

In a museum somewhere I think possibly the henry ford museum there was an early rod with a hemi. It ran the full hood but the corners of the hemi was just a little wide. So there was a cutout in the hood side with just a little hemi valve cover sticking through. Looked awesome to me. Gives anyone who knows a sneak peak without even opening the hood.

I have also seen a few that had "covers" welded to the hood that looked like they grew there. They were all "pointy",with the point towards the front,and wider as they got to the rear. IIRC,this started on the Bonneville cars to make reduce wind resistance,but they sure did look good.

3 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

that thing is pure ugly......I would grant this car the original sin we now know as rat rods....

It is the original - it's the Ramchargers drag team's original race car, The High and Mighty!

yes it is the original ramcharger and I am saying by looks and raggedy dress, fit, and form...it is the original concept of a rat  rod....where corners are cut so often in so many places they are no corners left.....to that end...the original sin.....sorry but I do not like it...or anything that would be tribute to this rolling junk...

It's call function over form.  I suggest you go read up on the development of The High and Mighty, no corners were cut, just unnecessary folderol was avoided.  It was designed to go fast in a straight line at the dragstrip, nothing more, nothing less.  many of today's go fast stuff was pioneered by it.

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

that thing is pure ugly......I would grant this car the original sin we now know as rat rods....

It was known as a  NHRA record holder at times. IIRC,it was a drag car put together on the cheap by a bunch of guys in a Mopar Club,using stuff they pretty much had on hand.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

It's call function over form.  I suggest you go read up on the development of The High and Mighty, no corners were cut, just unnecessary folderol was avoided.  It was designed to go fast in a straight line at the dragstrip, nothing more, nothing less.  many of today's go fast stuff was pioneered by it.

I am not taking away from the performance aspect of the built...it just looks like hell and a total shortcut in aesthetics....I have seen way too many car of similar built that are not only functional but truly appealing to the eye as well.....this reeks of cheap in looks regardless of all other aspects.    

That's the difference between engineers and people with opinions.

Engineers can document their stuff, opinions generally just stink up the joint.

Why the the rear fenders gone?  Because they are unneeded weight in a race and aesthetics contribute nothing to going faster.  You want a pretty car, build one.  That wasn't the point of the High and Mighty, it's point was to win and it did.  Every aspect of your lack of aesthetics opinion is due to sound engineering principals designed simply to go faster.

I would love to ask you how you feel about mail-in.....

But I will not!

No name, haha.

Dinner is done I hope it is edible because I cooked, not a TV dinner.

Edited by DJ194950
Gotta go I may get banned!

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I am not taking away from the performance aspect of the built...it just looks like hell and a total shortcut in aesthetics....I have seen way too many car of similar built that are not only functional but truly appealing to the eye as well.....this reeks of cheap in looks regardless of all other aspects.    

I may be wrong,but I THINK they did that on purpose to highlight the FACT that going fast is what is important in drag racing,and there was no need to avoid building a fast car just because you couldn't afford a mega-buck paint job and all the chrome.

Back when they first built that car was when drag racing started getting "all Hollywood" from the mega-buck sponsors,tv,magazine articles,etc,etc,etc.

Before that it was more of a "run what ya brung" thing that anybody could get involved with. Suddenly it was all about not only having a pit crew,but the pit crew had to have matching embroidered shirts,the tow truck had to be a mobile garage,etc,etc,etc.

On 9/7/2020 at 11:17 PM, eddie spaghetti said:

I hear you about the fenderless car, I have had my eyes on a pair of 1935 Dodge Brothers pickups, thought there may be enough between the two to make one runner, stick my 331 in there , leave off the side cowls off.

they have been sitting in a swamp for 40 years, time has not been kind to them, no frame left to speak of.

Sounds like a plan to me.

BTW,I am having my 37 Dodge 1 ton 4x4 put on a 79 Dodge 1/2 ton 4x4 chassis that was complete with a factory 318 crate engine.

When we took it apart to redo,I discovered the 72 F-250 chassis it was on was too rusty to use again,so I figured this was the way to go. I am going to miss the big block,but I suspect having power steering and power brakes is going to make up for that.

Going to have it painted it that bright lime green you see on new Jeeps.

Sometimes (usually) is just makes sense to quit fighting gravity and go with what works the easiest and best.

Edited by knuckleharley