1/4 (Quarter) Panel Repair Step by Step

NickPickToo

This thread will take you though a quarter panel repair (Right side) step by step up just before welding and smoothing out.  You will need...

a) Right Quarter panel repair part (Wayne B., the Plymouth Dr. supplied the one used here)

b) Angle grinder with metal cut off wheel and grinding wheel

c) Drill with cross tip bit and self tapping sheet metal screws

d) Ear protection, Eye Protection, gloves and long sleeve shop jacket

e) broom and dust tray

f) Self etching, weld through primer

Edited by NickPickToo

If you havent already, paint the inner rocker with self etching, weldable primer (cuts down on rusting later).  You can also see here were I cut away some of the fender well that was rotted out anyway.

You will cut away the car panel along the bottom line you made and along the side where the 1/4 panel meets the door well and the fender well

Cut into the metal you will be taking away.  Its always easier to take more out than to put it back in.

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo

Fit the panel into place.  You will need to make a few strategic notches to get a great fit.  Your notches may differ from the ones I made here

I notched a section of the front top lip of the repair panel so that it would tuck in and fit tight up to the door well

I also notch a section of the fender well so the panel will eventually fit under the fender well patch that will be added later.  I also notched a bit off the tab on the rear of the repair panel so that it cleared the fender attachment nut already in the finder well.

Grind clean the metal where the body panel will meet the repair panel

Press the panel firmly in place (I used a floor jack from the bottom and had my dad pull the top of the panel forward) and use the drill to drive in the self tapping screws 

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo

Carefully cut the front of the panel away to meet the contour of the door well.

You can see where I tried to keep a bit of the front as a tab to bend in and cover up some missing metal inside the door well near the bottom.  I misjudged just a bit and will still have to fill some of that hole.

I also let the panel extend at the bottom along the rocker panel. 

Only one suggestion to pass on to  for the manufacturer of the panel.  If it extended out an addition 4" to 5" the excess could be used as a clean patch for the panel section between the front of the door well and the cowl.

IMG_0849.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo

Now I just need to weld, grind, weld, grind, sand and fill until its all smoothed out.

One question for the OG's...should I weld the seam on the outside, inside or both?  If I weld on the inside, its more likely that I blow through the old metal of the car, if I weld on the outside, its more tricky to smooth out the seam before filling, sanding and paint.

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

That's the end of my content for this thread other than responding to questions and tips we get from the pros on the forum .  Welding, smoothing, and painting are topics each of their own.

Don't forget to sweep up the floor around your panel when your through.  I was told by my Dad, and then learned the hard way anyway, that its easier to keep the project moving along if you keep the worksite clean.

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...