1951 B3GA

Brent B3B

1 hour ago, ggdad1951 said:

it's the hat...definitely the hat....

Lol, don’t be dissin the hat, my straw hat got stretched out some how ?

E6C7471F-9A10-456D-BCA5-CFE18B1333BE.jpeg.d0bd8a332b5a060a0ea03399ec8f66da.jpeg
(Photo, ggdad and 48dodger) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wallytoo said:

entertaining ride.  no double clutching?  synchro'd?

For sure, we are easily entertained ?

your right, synchro’d

now I have to work on figuring the two speed end of things. 
my HH only has a High and Low knob,

this trucks vacuum line to the speedometer was deleted (seems like this only effects the speedometer accuracy)

9700F160-29FD-4F7C-BE71-DE5935864FC9.jpeg.9b88f29d28286640c20e2cb83f4ac3f1.jpeg

But the cable on the stick shift was not as freely moving as I think it should be. 

I swapped the valves from ones I just cleaned up for “Buck” but, I’d like to rebuild the factory cable from Buck and use it. (Mostly cause I don’t care for the hose clamp look and it’s original)

Also not 100% on the entire vacuum system yet (with the way the ride ended.)

isn’t there a way to check for vacuum leaks with hair spray or starter fluid? 

Might be easier to push low pressure air through the system and check with a soap solution or fancy it up with a home built smoke machine and follow the smoke.  Those other two options are both volatile and hard on rubber.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the last time I looked for a line leak was on a Saturn with an EGR system with a lotta plastic lines that was setting fault codes...rigged up a 1/4 turn ball valve from my compressor and pushed <5 psi through the system, while slowly rubbing a soapy sponge along the lines...soap bubbles popped up in a few places, marked them with zip ties, and patched them up...did this all crawling around on my back...yeah I'm not a fan of Saturn's cuz of that exercise...the alternative was to rig up a smoke machine from a variety of youtubes but I didn't want to spend the $$$

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Swing and a miss, Looks like Jimbob has a starter issue

what part on the starter causes this mis engagement or wears out and needs attention? Going to switch starters for now but, I was gonna work it over next fall. 

Thanks

Edited by Brent B3B

Thanks JB! some day I hope to have patience enough to use the search function as effectively ?

Just Ordered me a starter clutch and a set of brushes. Sounds like a good rainy fall day project.

• Like 1

as alluded to in the linked post, your starter situation was something I experienced in 2005 with the 1-ton just before that little clutch busted, and was very lucky to get home unassisted cuz that was a few weeks before I finally broke down and got my 1st cell phone...not so much a need to use the search function as me remembering how close a call that was to having an embarrassing problem while enjoying the weather in my buggy on my day off ?

• Like 1

So that does work, maybe not with two shoulder surgeries ☹️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go, loaded Jimbob up yesterday and headed to “the Q” 

F42D102F-61C6-45A0-867D-4E30297F86D4.jpeg.ca2f3c13ce0bda07fb596a79d3402287.jpeg

first time I drove him on the trailer,

but he looks happy 

60E8AA61-C156-40FB-BFCD-A02B9E4D3E16.jpeg.3677542713562b14ef9b6cd2f62868a4.jpeg

sure hope he behaves 

• Like 7

Had a blast with Jimbob bebop n around Tim’s property .... I made a short clip of me dinking around.... the last half was the reaction to the power booster from ggdad1951 and John T. ?
not sure people realize how effective the booster is on these trucks, If you never had the set up. (thanks for playing along guys)

I came to realize I still need to adjust the “free pedal” but, for some strange reason the back passengers lower front “anchor pin” rotated and the shoe was dragging on the drum ?

(I loosened the nut and aligned the arrows again, back in business.... for now)

• Like 4

Brent did an amazing job bringing jimbob back to life from a neglected moldy moss covered derelict ugly looking big truck!

It was cool to see it hauling ass around Tim's place!?

Light duty dodge truck owners don't know what good brakes are till they drive the heavier "F" on up trucks with the brake booster.

Kudos to Brent!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 10:07 AM, JBNeal said:

there may or may not be some salsa at your destination :cool:

Its was Gooood!!!! Thanks Dude!

48D

• 3 months later...

Updating the thread for this truck. 
I was seriously thinking about giving this truck back to the PO now that “Jimbob” is mobile.... but, I think I might hold onto him a while longer... got to thinking about last years wildfires and ice storm in my area and  thought, why not have a back up plan. 

D7E7E518-EC2B-48CA-B335-1056B1CF71E9.jpeg.53109dc30843d2bdca0688544f8d1234.jpeg

procured me a 550 gallon storage tank (shown here full of water) 

my plan is to get a “roller pump” to hook up to the PTO and tee off a hose bib for neighbors to get water (should the power go out again next winter) 

I don’t expect to fight wildfires by any means,  but if I can extinguish hot falling embers... i figure it’s better than just watching them ignite ?

Still need to strap it down or block it. But the weight of this JUST started to touch the overloads. 

wish me luck 

• Like 3

There are a several guys running around with mobile pressure washing units with these big tanks, and they are blocked from sliding off of the flat bed when full.  They use the widest ratchet straps criss-crossed over the top in those grooves just to keep the tank from flying out when empty and rolling down the highway.

• Like 1

You have done wonders getting that once dead and ugly.... left to die truck back in operating condition Brent!

Kudos to you bud!?

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

You have done wonders getting that once dead and ugly.... left to die truck back in operating condition Brent!

Kudos to you bud!?

Thanks Rob! 

I have a long list of “to do” on it still, like the wiring, lights, correct gauges etc. 

you know me, just messing around..... ?

Hope to get back to him seriously this fall 

• Like 2