1951 B3GA

Brent B3B

• 3 weeks later...

Got him off the trailer last week and parked him, with every intention of not touching this truck until I’ve checked a few items off my “chores list” 
0A71E5FC-49BB-42BB-A0C6-92281D9B1054.jpeg.03e7e24ff45cb6b53f7b8cd25f55f969.jpeg

yeah right! (I have no will power) 

No Compression, so I pulled the inner fender, the front wheel and both tappet covers.  I think I lucked out, the #4 intake valve was stuck open 

DB8F826F-F352-4D5A-94D6-2FEC23ED898D.jpeg.3219a6e45e45386bf998890245d406dc.jpeg

pulled the spark plug, worked the intake closed and open and threw some oil down the cylinders with the valves closed. Compression seems to be back.... NOW I will let him sit for a while ?

• Like 3

It's all about priorities! I picked up a free 47 1.5 ton cabover rolling chassis with a complete drivetrain three weeks ago for mainly the manifolds/updraft carb/spare booster. Told my wife that it's just going to get parked for now until I get some other things knocked out around the house. Before I knew it, a few tools and a battery with jumper cables seemed to appear next to the frame two weeks ago and I may have determined it's not getting any spark. As it sits now, I have a carb kit on the way, and the carb is dismantled soaking in cleaner. I'll probably get the points/condenser installed Sunday, and hopefully have it running next weekend! It's pretty easy to make time for working on the greasy new stuff. 

Right on Joe! Three weeks ago? Sounds like we were on the road at the same time... you should have “face timed” me..... too funny we both told our wives the same story about “knocking things out around the house” ?

ok, what’s our next reason for putting off the house repairs?

oh yeah, I almost forgot thanks again Rob for the clip 

027ED456-7796-46EA-A6F5-1902CDC64727.jpeg.0d01f8cf76e0d93859f7f3364dcf452d.jpeg

16 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

Right on Joe! Three weeks ago? Sounds like we were on the road at the same time... you should have “face timed” me..... too funny we both told our wives the same story about “knocking things out around the house” ?

ok, what’s our next reason for putting off the house repairs?

Currently as long as I do the dishes every night and do a few house hold chores, I seem to be in the clear to sneak in the garage for an hour or so in the evening. When in doubt, It never hurts to go with the classic "that'll be a good winter project in the house when it's too cold out". Lol

• Haha 1

On 9/23/2020 at 1:36 PM, Brent B3B said:

Got him off the trailer last week and parked him, with every intention of not touching this truck until I’ve checked a few items off my “chores list” 
0A71E5FC-49BB-42BB-A0C6-92281D9B1054.jpeg.03e7e24ff45cb6b53f7b8cd25f55f969.jpeg

fire smoke?

Yeah, that is an unfiltered photo of the truck during the first few days of the wildfires we had. 

Picked him up in Saturday, my back “locked up” from sitting so much, so he sat on the trailer until Tuesday when the wildfires came to near us. (Pulled him off the trailer cause I needed the trailer)

Talk about priorities, I grabbed Julie, some clothes, the cat and we left. 

Spent the rest of the week coming back to water the house during the day time. 

This day was our anniversary....
73B82380-B3C7-496D-BE44-7CB8E1C0D614.jpeg.fe5e5b2e8487bd81064aae221f12cdbe.jpeg
happy 32nd Julie ? LOL

Edited by Brent B3B
Punctuation
  • Like 3

Oh Merle, you know me soooo well. ?
my poor neighbors, as soon as the wildfire smoke clears Brent stinks up the neighborhood, LOL

told them I’ll wait until they’re not home to fine tune it 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Brent...l am so proud of you!

You could probably get an old Puegeot running that sat for 30 years!

I've got a 30 KW Continental  6 cylinder Gen set you could probably get running....boy could you have fun with that!?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/25/2020 at 12:08 PM, Brent B3B said:

Yeah, that is an unfiltered photo of the truck during the first few days of the wildfires we had. 

Picked him up in Saturday, my back “locked up” from sitting so much, so he sat on the trailer until Tuesday when the wildfires came to near us. (Pulled him off the trailer cause I needed the trailer)

Talk about priorities, I grabbed Julie, some clothes, the cat and we left. 

Spent the rest of the week coming back to water the house during the day time. 

This day was our anniversary....
73B82380-B3C7-496D-BE44-7CB8E1C0D614.jpeg.fe5e5b2e8487bd81064aae221f12cdbe.jpeg
happy 32nd Julie ? LOL

How much did it grow with all the watering?   Gain a bedroom out of it?  :P  Glad you guys ended up safe!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I’d share a drum puller I made for this truck out of scrap 3”/8” thick, old wood stove door.

BB9CA2FF-4ABA-4326-8FB4-311D8F2A4E61.jpeg.0ce9a27d843fc953d63d00f3b15ec033.jpeg

I now have three midsize trucks and this is the first one I needed help removing the front drums....

21FD152C-A860-4629-9702-08619B3BBDFC.jpeg.6e8fd2ee395575fbf2ff4125c595566f.jpeg

but, it worked like butter ?

thought I’d pull the brakes off while I troubleshoot the transmission noise and think about the “boomeranged” tie rod end 

ED8C8CE2-E909-49CD-81A6-A0AE094ABE94.jpeg.25429909127e8aa8c95829457c83b227.jpeg

Edited by Brent B3B
Removed video
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well shoot, the rear brakes kicked my butt!! The left rear drum seal and bearing separated and stayed on the axle housing,
DB2A8182-2F4F-4F2C-8D3D-A401A8536220.jpeg.9941a624f636644c1c8e67300c2c587c.jpeg

while both sides, shoes and drums have groves

547F2C61-736F-42C9-9ABF-433303837062.jpeg.c0e826ba82000c27ccf33a49f4296ab3.jpeg

(the piston being pushed out a little on the RR didn’t help either)

Now, decision time for me... I need to do some research on what I can swap with my other GA, what to fix and what to just put up with. Example, the rear brakes on the B3GA are different than the ones on the B4GA but are the rear drums? Looks like they are the same.....

made a couple more tools for my “B serious” tool box ?

rear drum puller outa  1/2” plate

78046005-5F14-433C-B568-57BE93054EF0.jpeg.fbe671b5bd9054016cd114c0dfcc9d09.jpeg

And a “c” clip push bar

E3DA3B56-7038-4282-B9A5-486A501D0069.jpeg.83ea51f957ac93386a9f30e1aabfe1b0.jpeg

• Like 3

Ok, Leaning towards Minnesota B&E

my “go to” brake cylinder rebuilder “Hagens” doesn’t have the cylinder pistons for this trucks step cylinders. Brandon said they use to make them but since the fire - no more

White post says they can re sleeve and replace the pistons that are  disintegrated - they use brass sleeves but mentioned a “life time warranty” $125. Each (does that mean LT of the cylinder? I should have asked)

Minnesota brake and equipment can replace pistons (with used) and re sleeve with SS (like Hagens does) $110. Each

Is there an advantage with brass over SS? I always thought brass was a soft material and would wear faster.... 

Either way this trucks brakes cylinders will be about $100. More than the B4GA’ s I just did at the beginning of the year..... like they say “pay to play” ?

White Post lifetime warranty on sleeving is for any damage to the brass that causes seal failure...they missed cleaning up the needles and seats on 2 of my wheel cylinders' bleed screws that I didn't catch until months later when driving on the weekends, they told me that it was beyond 90 days so they would have to charge me for that "extra work"...they did good work so I didn't want to argue, I have more work for them lined so I'll just throw it on the pile when that time comes.  My future test strategy is on the next brake system overhaul, I'll bleed the system with my pressure bleeder, then do an endurance test by pressurization  for a few days to see if anything seeps...that way I can verify their work right away and address any issues without any excuses...

Brass sleeves are probably easier to press into the castings and can be honed out to specs if any deformation occurs.  Stainless is less forgiving, depending on the alloy, and probably more expensive material and machining costs, so its use as a sleeve is at a disadvantage to brass in brake internal parts.  The wear on the brass eventually could be dealt with by honing or resleeving, but that's probably a looong way down the road :cool:

Edited by JBNeal
inserted information that fell off of the page
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

Ok, Leaning towards Minnesota B&E

my “go to” brake cylinder rebuilder “Hagens” doesn’t have the cylinder pistons for this trucks step cylinders. Brandon said they use to make them but since the fire - no more

White post says they can re sleeve and replace the pistons that are  disintegrated - they use brass sleeves but mentioned a “life time warranty” $125. Each (does that mean LT of the cylinder? I should have asked)

Minnesota brake and equipment can replace pistons (with used) and re sleeve with SS (like Hagens does) $110. Each

Is there an advantage with brass over SS? I always thought brass was a soft material and would wear faster.... 

Either way this trucks brakes cylinders will be about $100. More than the B4GA’ s I just did at the beginning of the year..... like they say “pay to play” ?

B&E does phenomenal work.  When I took ALL my brake stuff in they even took me in back to talk to the tech that would work on the drums to make sure we were on the same page.  I recommend them all the time.

As for brass vs. SS.....I always opt for SS...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh my!?

Sure like your plexiglas window at the PTO.

Did you find all the broken teeth?

Maybe braze em back on?

Found one so far..... I don’t think my brazing skills are quite up for that challenge. 

So, with that transmission issue, the bent tie rod, groves in the rear drums..... I am leaning towards exchanging/ combining Jim Bob and my B4GA “Buck” and calling this one...... wait for it.....

“JIM-BUCK!!!” ?

for those following and don’t remember the back story to “Buck”

Kinda bummed in that, I planned on driving “Buck” off the trailer at the next years BBQ in Clements and leaving him there. It made me laugh to think off the look on Tim’s face as I drove off and left this rust bucket behind. LOL

21 minutes ago, Brent B3B said:

Found one so far..... I don’t think my brazing skills are quite up for that challenge. 

So, with that transmission issue, the bent tie rod, groves in the rear drums..... I am leaning towards exchanging/ combining Jim Bob and my B4GA “Buck” and calling this one...... wait for it.....

“JIM-BUCK!!!” ?

for those following and don’t remember the back story to “Buck”

Kinda bummed in that, I planned on driving “Buck” off the trailer at the next years BBQ in Clements and leaving him there. It made me laugh to think off the look on Tim’s face as I drove off and left this rust bucket behind. LOL

any parts off ART that might be of help?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brent B3B said:

Kinda bummed in that, I planned on driving “Buck” off the trailer at the next years BBQ in Clements and leaving him there. It made me laugh to think of the look on Tim’s face as I drove off and left this rust bucket behind. LOL

hmmmm.......

1. I'd finally have a place for all the firewood on the island.

2. More big trucks the merrier.

3. You'd have room for another big truck back home.

4. Your wife might have hope for you yet that the "Collecting Old Trucks Disease" hasn't taken hold yet.......

5. You'd be guilty of making me lie to my wife "No....no, that truck has always been here!"?

48D

• Haha 3

pulled the transmission this week. 

think I’ll see if I can swap some interior broken pieces.... Last time I worked on a transmission it was a dryer time of year outside on the back of the truck. 
48516CB8-3082-4484-B502-2EDBACCA2830.jpeg.056ed71e7bcb54ebfee8e3093b2f2d6e.jpeg

this time, I figured I’d make a stand outa some scrap I had collected over the years  and was now just lying around 

B95B2291-BE5F-4B59-8B24-7E4ECE13551F.jpeg.98e821b9eacb23cbeeee8c01c57c47b7.jpeg

not pretty, but I keeps me outa the rain and should make it easier to handle (height of the transmission top on the stand is perfect for me at 44”)

EB33134F-FDB8-4318-80D7-B6C3F3DF05D3.jpeg.a58e8822c80ba6379ff5f12426e60207.jpeg

(photo is of a fluid drive as my template, not for this truck)

• Like 3