Frame restoration questions

fireguyfire

I’ve got the frame of my 1958 Fargo Sweptside fully stripped and ready for sandblasting.

i want to restore the truck as close to factory correct as possible, and I was wondering if any of you guys and gals that have restored a similar truck could help me out with factory correct suggestions.

The frame of my truck was obviously black, as were the rear and front axles, but other than that I have no idea what the factory correct finish would have been on things like the springs, steering link rod, bolt to the frame shock mount brackets, clutch and brake linkages, etc would have been.

Any hints or tips on refinishing would be appreciated!

My Dad had an auto salvage from '60 'til his retirement in '90.  I spent a lot of time there!  From that memory, most if not all, vehicle suspension pieces were unpainted.  Frames and rear end housing were usually coated with a cheap paint or thin asphaltic coating. That was probably to prevent rust from outside storage and shipping more than anything. Small parts would have been warehoused and not exposed to the elements as much.

Personally, mine are and will be semi-gloss black.

If you want to save some $$$ with decent results, Rustoleum rusty metal primer applied with foam brush then top coated again with brush works...it takes some time, but very little mess and material costs are low...as long as the coatings are applied following instructions, the results will look OK as the underpinnings are only seen during maintenance or when catching some air on an adventurous road trip :cool:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JBNeal said:

If you want to save some $$$ with decent results, Rustoleum rusty metal primer applied with foam brush then top coated again with brush works...it takes some time, but very little mess and material costs are low...as long as the coatings are applied following instructions, the results will look OK as the underpinnings are only seen during maintenance or when catching some air on an adventurous road trip :cool:

good advice.  If one looks at the condition of these older frames, which is usually excellent, and considers the original paint, it is really difficult to justify any of the expensive alternates.  And, Rustoleum IMO adheres better than the high dollar choices on less than perfectly prepped surfaces. 

I spray mine in most cases, but the results are the same, nice looking finish that holds up well.  Most of my recent stuff has been tractors or garden tractors, but my 56 1/2t will be getting the treatment.  Soon, I hope.

Edited by kencombs

I used brush on POR 15 for the frame and axles and used spray Rustoleum for the other parts, backing plates, tie rods and such. I second the idea of strictly following the directions for application - the prep work makes all the difference in the end product.

pretty much what everyone else said.  Semi gloss or flat black as you feel the project needs it.  I used POR15 and it's held up SO well.  Stuff is like armor coating!  Follow the directions and you'll be happy, just know it cures out with moisture, so humid days would not be your friend.

On FEF I used a "metallic" product from POR to give the springs a different look.  Kinda going to what Merle said.  I'd guess most of the rolling frame was painted as an assembly and the springs very well may have been shot black.