Where to purchase a new gas tank?

LrudyD

I’ll need to purchase a new gas tank for my ‘48 Windsor. I’ve seen several online for upper 200’s to 400.  That’s a big difference! If I can pick one up for $300, it’s beats taking my existing one in for repair, cleaning and coating.  Any suggestions where to go?

I bought a new tank from moparpro through Amazon for $250 and free shipping a couple months ago. It was black and looked original. I see one cheaper, that might be aluminized. I would contact the seller to be sure it is the original style and not a box style. When you disconnect your fuel line, fish out the brass ferrule from the old tank after you remove the line. Like JBNeal said, just peel your carpet forward to get to the bolts. Start soaking the nuts, so you don’t twist the hanger straps. Check how far the bolts go into the nuts and replace them the same. The new tank won’t seem to line up, till it is pulled into place. Take the left rear wheel off to get to the fill tube hose clamps. I did my replacement on a four post lift, so I wasn’t laying on the floor trying to wrangle it in and out. I hope that helps in any ways. After a year or so of driving my car, I determined my tank had pin holes in the pickup tube, I finally bit the bullet and replaced the tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2020 at 1:42 PM, Sam Buchanan said:

My replacement tank didn't use the ferrule, just had a standard 1/8" NPT thread.

Sam,

Where did you get your tank? Mine, on my P15, is giving me a little trouble and I think I'm going to have to replace it. I'd rather not have to reuse the ferrule. I would really like to know a good explanation as to why Chrysler used that ferrule. 

1 hour ago, rvannoy1 said:

Sam,

Where did you get your tank? Mine, on my P15, is giving me a little trouble and I think I'm going to have to replace it. I'd rather not have to reuse the ferrule. I would really like to know a good explanation as to why Chrysler used that ferrule. 

Tank came from Vans Auto:

https://vansauto.com/product/41-48-dodge-plymouth-desoto-chrysler-6-cylinder-gas-tank/

I've seen listings for tanks for less $$$$'s, don't know if they are from the same manufacturer.

So I recently replaced the fuel tank on my '49  suburban.  I had read about this ferrule on this forum.  When I removed the line from the tank I looked closely and carefully for the ferrule but did not find one.  The sleeve fitting on the line looks similar to an inverted flare fitting but is not.  The mouth of the fitting does not allow for a flare end on the tube.  Rather, it is machined with a straight ID.  The tube runs straight through the tube and the end of the tube is formed flat not tapered or flared.  I did not know the ferrule was available from Moparpro and as an alternative I cut a thin washer from 3/8" OD copper tubing to use as a "crush washer".  Tank is currently 1/2 filled with gas and no leaks.  If it leaks in the future, I know where to get a ferrule.  Regards.

That 3/8" long brass ferrule was only used on cars up through 1948.

What was the Mopar part number for this ferrule.  My parts book for P17,P18  issued June 1949, in the "Fuel" section under "Fuel tubing attaching parts" lists a "SLEEVE, fuel line,  Part number B1316 669".  I assumed this was the ferrule people are talking about.  If this isn't the ferrule that goes in the fuel tank outlet fitting then what is it and where does it go?  As a point of interest, Moparpro on ebay lists the fuel line ferrule for 1940,41,42,46,47,and 48 ....as well as....49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56.  I'm confused.

• 1 year later...
On 9/9/2020 at 12:04 AM, Sam Buchanan said:

Tank came from Vans Auto:

https://vansauto.com/product/41-48-dodge-plymouth-desoto-chrysler-6-cylinder-gas-tank/

I've seen listings for tanks for less $$$$'s, don't know if they are from the same manufacturer.

Bought the same tank and I'm about to order fuel lines. Getting 5/16 nickel copper lines.  Thought the line fittings were 1/2 - 20.   You said the gas tank from Vans has a 1/8 NPT fitting.  Do you know the fittings for fuel pump, filter and carb?  Any suggestions what sizes & hardware to order, such as elbows & unions?

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Bought the same tank and I'm about to order fuel lines. Getting 5/16 nickel copper lines.  Thought the line fittings were 1/2 - 20.   You said the gas tank from Vans has a 1/8 NPT fitting.  Do you know the fittings for fuel pump, filter and carb?  Any suggestions what sizes & hardware to order, such as elbows & unions?

I don't recall what size fittings but they are the same as found on brake lines with "American" (not metric) threads. No need to order this stuff, just source it from a local auto parts store as needed. That way you can return items that either don't fit or you don't need. I plumbed the entire fuel and brake systems on my P15 with brake lines purchased locally.

In my thinking there are only two fittings on the fuel line, one at the tank, one near the pump, the rest ought to be one continuous line.  The Cupro-nickle lines are real easy to gently hand form.  Since it's fuel line you can use compression fittings and not even have to flair anything.

I got a new tank for my ‘47 DeSoto from a seller on eBay tomsclassic for a hair under $250 delivered august of 2020. No problems and fit perfectly. I did a quick look and that seller doesn’t have em listed now but at the time there were others listed for more $ but either looked exactly the same or just painted black instead of the silver . Been driving the old bomb with no fuel tank issues all this summer.