Front engine support

TylerB46

Hi I finally got my 230 running but I’ve noticed a coolant and oil leak coming from the front of the engine. It happens when the engine is warm, and they both accumulate on the front cross member. I figured the oil is from the front of the pan so I’m going to drop the pan and put on a new gasket with some sealer to help it out. As far as the coolant leak goes I’m just an idiot and didn’t put any thread sealer on the timing plate bolts. SO my question is, how can I support the front of my engine so that I can remove the “floating power” front engine mount and remove the timing cover/plate. Also does it sound like I’m going about this the right way with the sealers? I’m new to engine building and especially new to flatheads. Thank you.

If block is like my 218, i used a jack under the block casting where the pan bolts on. There is a bolt for the timing cover plate that is in from the inside,can only access it when pan is off. Another thing to consider is a timing chain to go with pan gasket, timing cover gasket kit. May as well make it worth the effort. I regret not waiting for a chain before i pulled it apart. 
her in canada its not that easy to locate a chain on short notice. 

1 minute ago, Tooljunkie said:

If block is like my 218, i used a jack under the block casting where the pan bolts on. There is a bolt for the timing cover plate that is in from the inside,can only access it when pan is off. Another thing to consider is a timing chain to go with pan gasket, timing cover gasket kit. May as well make it worth the effort. I regret not waiting for a chain before i pulled it apart. 
her in canada its not that easy to locate a chain on short notice. 

The engine has been completely rebuilt, with a brand new timing set, I just never put any sealer on the bolts. I have new gaskets but would rather not remove the timing set if possible, do you think just taking one bolt out at a time and putting sealer on it, then putting it back in would be okay? Or do I need to put something on the gasket itself to help with leaking?

Sealing the seven bolts at the front of the block, one at a time is what I would do first. That might fix the oil leak. The coolant leak could be that all the bolts on the pump and thermostat housing need sealant also. 

Okay so I got the oil pan off and it looks like a little bit of coolant got into the oil, there’s a greenish sheen in the oil. But now I’m a bit more worried because I found some tiny metal flakes in the bottom of the pan and a couple decent shavings. This engine is a fresh rebuilt with new pistons, rings, etc... so this might turn into a bigger ordeal than just a couple leaks...

Sealing bolts may do it. Wash oil pan and run it. There will be some metal in pan from break in, and tearing it down would be the only way to find what the metal is from. 
i would see if the filings are ferrous or not by trying to pick them up with a magnet. Tinming chain and gears would wear in, will likely be some metal trace there. 

1 hour ago, Tooljunkie said:

Sealing bolts may do it. Wash oil pan and run it. There will be some metal in pan from break in, and tearing it down would be the only way to find what the metal is from. 
i would see if the filings are ferrous or not by trying to pick them up with a magnet. Tinming chain and gears would wear in, will likely be some metal trace there. 

Thanks, all of the metal Is magnetic, so it’s at least not the bearings.

Found out the metal shavings were from the oil slinger getting chewed up, it didn’t seem to have hurt anything so i just tossed it. Also there was a small dent in the timing cover so the chain was eating away at it some. So hopefully that’s the end of the worrisome shavings.

• Like 1

Hope those shavings didn't go anywhere....!

4 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Hope those shavings didn't go anywhere....!

I looked up into the engine while the pan was off but of course I couldn’t see everything, I’ll change the filter and I’ve cleaned the timing set and pan the best I could. I’ll run it again and change the oil pretty soon to try to flush it out.

• Like 1