1953 Plymouth finally on road

milo9rat

Mikorat, I’ve got two to finish now, my Suburban and my Sportster.both are nearly done. Bit I’m   I’m too old and tired to start a third. Would love to turn it into this. I know this is a hardtop, but I love the colors. 

87F087FF-417F-4C71-8B96-DBF16D577066.jpeg

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, pflaming said:

So, mine is a club coupe! Bought it for a parts carbecause it has an overdrive. Did a compression check, 100,75,95,110,105,110.  So looked closer. Spark plugs, points, wires are all new when garaged. No dents, driver door Will need some help.  All the side trim,etc is in the trunk. Now not sure what I’ll do with it. 

7B1BC2C6-4366-42FE-ADCB-1901FD794C78.jpeg

A while back you said you were going to sell the suburban and the little VW thingy and concentrate on this car. Compression sounds healthy and body looks really straight. Put your good spare engine in your truck and then concentrate on this one. However, this car deserves more than the patina treatment. That would be a sweet car.

• Like 1

I see only rust....and faded paint...there is no state of dress/oxidation on that metal that preserves the metal....actually there is so little rust overall...this is what my 54 was like when purchased...and though it was taken to bare metal all the way around...this is what 20 minutes on work will do to a surfaced rusted panel....this is actually less than 1 hour of work...

2006_1010image0004.jpg

2006_0729Image0009.JPG

2006_0729Image0010.JPG

20 footer.JPG

• Like 1

Robert, yes I did, but I’m older now. Time to quit. 30+ 100 + degree days and counting doesn’t help. 

Tim most of us are not so talented as you are. 

Edited by pflaming

the move in 54 was to instill a bit longer looking car with the full headlight bezels...the bumper over riders to the rear.  This mid line Savoy came from the factory with two of the three trim packages as standard...missing is the rocker trim...but I have a set of NOS trim not on it at this time and also on it but not pictured is the wire basket hubcaps by Cello....it is almost a full bling bling model...it is also a diamond code 230 with Powerflite automatic.  NO PS or PB but the body is pressed for the booster to go in place, mid year model changes to keep abreast of the competition.  The is also a slight change in the radio for 54 compared to the 53.  

• Like 1

Milo, sorry i hijacked your  thread. Your coupe looks great, a job well done. An inspiration for me to finish my Suburban. How well does it ride and how does it drive? Is The V8 about the same weight as the flathead six?

TKS for the update.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I see only rust....and faded paint...there is no state of dress/oxidation on that metal that preserves the metal....actually there is so little rust overall...this is what my 54 was like when purchased...and though it was taken to bare metal all the way around...this is what 20 minutes on work will do to a surfaced rusted panel....this is actually less than 1 hour of work...

Looks great...

2006_1010image0004.jpg

2006_0729Image0009.JPG

2006_0729Image0010.JPG

20 footer.JPG

Pflaming, no problem, it's all good discussion.. It rides and well.. Brakes are rebuilt original and stops well.. I used the stock rims with 225/75R15s in back and 165/80R15s in front and steers very well.. I bought an automatic column indicator off eBay and used the original 3 spd shifter for the automatic..

100_4399.JPG

• Like 1

Even here now Utes are not common,........I just checked a few reference books I have but there is no indication of production numbers....here in Oz that Club Coupe parts car would also be a candidate to put back on the road.........andyd  

Could you throw in a photo or two of it in it's "as found" condition for those of us late to this party?

Not much I had rather look at than barn finds.

4 minutes ago, milo9rat said:

Here's some before  and during clean up pics...

100_4255.JPG

100_4258.JPG

Barn finds like this car are why I keep getting into financial trouble. I am scared to let them slip away in case they go to the crusher,and I have neither the time or the money fix them to the point I can sell them.

• Like 1

Radio delete in picture above and not sure what engine code your talking about.. It's a Chevy 350/350 combo.. Stock column and shifter made to work with the TH350 automatic.. I did add a "P" to the "PowerFlite" indicator also seen in picture above..... If you're talking about the original engine, it's long gone so I don't have that info.....

Edited by milo9rat
add content