1953 Plymouth finally on road

milo9rat

Nice car, especially like the 318 poly installation....the interesting thing with the 318 is that here in Oz Chrysler Australia introduced their new car the 1957 Chrysler Royal with both the 230 Plymouth six and 250 Chrysler six but then upped the ante by installing the 303, then 313 Canadian sourced Poly as the V8 option..........all this in the 1953/54 Plymouth chassis and basic body shell that the Chrysler Royal was based on.......the Royal continued thru to 1962 with grille, rear fender & tailight changes to the last in 1962.........got any more pics of the engine instal and what trans are you using?...........love the car as I have a 318 poly in my 1940 Dodge................lol..............andyd  

1957ChryslerRoyal.png

1959ChryslerRoyal.jpg

1962ChryslerRoyal.png

• Like 1

Guys, guys, I thought you might remember from my original thread, Not really a Polly but a disguised sbc... Sorry  if I offended.. I guess now the hate starts... It actually is sbc, turbo 350 with ford Ranger rear end.. Ford Aerostar van front springs with one coil cut, new wiring harness, 12v, new front original brakes with swing pedal and a few other modifications.. Moderators can delete if inappropriate subject matter... 1938 Ford standard in the garage....

Edited by milo9rat

No hate...At least you'll make most people think its 318 Mopar. I won't judge you here. It'll all get sorted out at the Pearly Gates with St. Peter...

Kidding aside I bet it's a fun driver!

• Like 1

I have occasionally wondered what happened to that car and now I know. I like them stock but I have to say I appreciate what you’ve done. It looks totally original from the outside and interior looks original too. Nice work. 

If I remember correctly you wanted to have it ready for your wedding?? Assuming it wasn’t ready for that but hopefully the wedding still happened. I could be totally out to lunch here. ?

• Like 1

Milo.................you got me there........lol.........of all people I should have noticed the SBC but was so taken with the overall neat car I didn't check closely enough , but its all good........I still seriously like the car and o/k........I'll dip my hat to the installation..............you have nothing to be ashamed nor embarassed about......the car is on the road and I for one like it.............regards from Oz..........andyd 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RobertKB said:

I have occasionally wondered what happened to that car and now I know. I like them stock but I have to say I appreciate what you’ve done. It looks totally original from the outside and interior looks original too. Nice work. 

If I remember correctly you wanted to have it ready for your wedding?? Assuming it wasn’t ready for that but hopefully the wedding still happened. I could be totally out to lunch here. ?

I'm sorry but I was married in 1973 and am still with her but many, I mean many cars have come and gone....

13 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Milo.................you got me there........lol.........of all people I should have noticed the SBC but was so taken with the overall neat car I didn't check closely enough , but its all good........I still seriously like the car and o/k........I'll dip my hat to the installation..............you have nothing to be ashamed nor embarassed about......the car is on the road and I for one like it.............regards from Oz..........andyd 

I was not  trying to fool anybody, just thought it would be fun to make it look like an old "saw tooth" motor....

Edited by milo9rat

1 hour ago, milo9rat said:

I'm sorry but I was married in 1973 and am still with her but many, I mean many cars have come and gone....

My bad. I must have been thinking of someone else with a similar car. Congrats on 47 years of marriage. I bought my '53 Plymouth in 1975, same year I got married. I still have it and my wife although she nearly divorced me when I bought the car. LOL ?

1953Plymouth.jpg.b20e4950118056746ebeb64885268d3c.jpg

• Like 4

They are not the ones that came with the car but they are original '53 Plymouth wheel covers, just a better set. The car is Canadian and wheel covers up here were different than on US cars. Car is original including paint. Paint has lots of gravel rash and a few dings and scratches but I will never touch it. Being a Canadian car, it also has the 25" engine instead of the 23" engine US cars came with. This particular one is the 228 CID. Again original except for a set of rings and lapped valves about 30,000 miles ago. Presently has 102,000 miles.

Your car is a 2-door sedan and there are not many  of those around, really quite rare. Paint on it looks original or a repaint from some time ago. Very nice. I love the two tone on these cars as it really breaks up the single colour most of the 53's came with. I see you have the original door panels as well which are the same as mine except for the colour. Nice to see you also kept the original steering wheel and gauges!

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

actually Robert you have the sedan albeit a club sedan...his is the club coupe....there is no rear window division on the club coupe...feature of the sedans.  also don't confuse the actual body line with the business coupe...I have seen what was touted as the original business coupe for this year and it just has the back seat removed and was nothing special like prior business coupes.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

actually Robert you have the sedan albeit a club sedan...his is the club coupe....there is no rear window division on the club coupe...feature of the sedans.  also don't confuse the actual body line with the business coupe...I have seen what was touted as the original business coupe for this year and it just has the back seat removed and was nothing special like prior business coupes.  

Thanks Tim. Learn something almost every day on this forum. 

Edit - I went looking to educate myself better as I had no idea there were both 1953 Plymouth sedans and club coupes, both 2-doors. I personally think the club coupe looks a little cleaner  although I like both. 

Club coupe like original poster’s car. 

D2CB521D-BE5E-48CF-ABC6-EB588ED7BE97.jpeg.b152273a4c8a7509f914bc644713ccad.jpeg

2-door sedan with rear window division. 

50C58600-7519-4C93-9D51-26AA52C31F0E.jpeg.0575c6ff2065aa2e6de53856eb2fa0bd.jpeg

Top car is a Cranbrook and second car is a Cambridge without stainless around  windshield, no trim on hood, no little stainless fins, and no side trim either. To me, trim sure helps appearance although the Cambridge still looks nice. 

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

Either of the 2drs would be a rare and popular car here in Oz....we only ever got 4 dr Sedans and Utes.......even a set of 2 door doors would be a hot selling item..........lol.............andyd 

• Like 1

So, mine is a club coupe! Bought it for a parts carbecause it has an overdrive. Did a compression check, 100,75,95,110,105,110.  So looked closer. Spark plugs, points, wires are all new when garaged. No dents, driver door Will need some help.  All the side trim,etc is in the trunk. Now not sure what I’ll do with it. 

7B1BC2C6-4366-42FE-ADCB-1901FD794C78.jpeg

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Either of the 2drs would be a rare and popular car here in Oz....we only ever got 4 dr Sedans and Utes.......even a set of 2 door doors would be a hot selling item..........lol.............andyd 

I'll trade you my coupe for a Ute....