SOS. OIL IN DASH. SOS

pflaming

When I started my engine, the connection to the oil gauge was wrong and I pumped some oil into / onto the back of the dash,  which now must be a fire hazard. I.have opened It up so I can somewhat get to it, And cleaned all the wires but there remains oil in the recesses and seeps out.  Oil does not evaporate, so it must be removed.

Suggestions requested!  

One solution thar I will use first. 

Apply baking soda to the area. This will soak up the oil. Allow the baking soda to sit for 10-15 minutes.[4] 

then will vacuum and blow it all out. 

I first sprayed everything behind the dash with acetone to thin any oil, since acetone quickly evaporates, thought that was safe. Connection at battery still off. 
    Then I covered the area with backing soda and forced it into cracks and joints. Then let that rest for 15 minutes and put the air hose to it. That really cleaned things.  I checked back after an hour and no wet spots. Will wait until morning then recheck  and reblow with air before I close it back up.

• 2 weeks later...

I put together a new oil on my bench. But my flex hose is no good and I’m having a difficult time finding a new one, VPW has them but very pricy. Suggestions will be appreciated. 
paul

i found what I need at Roberts. Ordered it! 

Edited by pflaming

14 hours ago, pflaming said:

I put together a new oil on my bench. But my flex hose is no good and I’m having a difficult time finding a new one, VPW has them but very pricy. Suggestions will be appreciated. 
paul

i found what I need at Roberts. Ordered it! 

what vehicle you working on Paul?

you mentioned VPW but, also mentioned a "flex hose"

• 3 weeks later...