Three point seat belt for the wife.

48ply1stcar

15 minutes ago, Sniper said:

If you hit someone hard enough to separate the body from the frame you're dead anyway.

... or the floor of your vehicle is seriously rusted.  There have been some repairs shown on here of vehicles that were being driven before repairs started - where the floor was basically a hodge-podge of duct work tin, license plates, and who knows what else, body to frame mounts either riddled with rust holes or completely gone.

Our young member Nick's car is an example, at least to some extent.  How much of a crash would have been necessary for the body to detach from the frame on that one?  Considering current practice in automotive design of crush zones, who knows, the body coming off might IN SOME SPECIFIC CASES even save a person.  Not arguing - just thinking out loud.....   

Well, thinking along those lines if your floor is that rusted out bolting a seat belt to it is akin to putting lipstick on a pig.  The seat belt has to have something solid to bolt to in order to function as intended.  Back when I used to climb wind turbines one of the things they trained us on was wearing fall protection and we were told that you need to hook your lanyards to something that can handle a 5000lbs load.  I guess they came up with that number based on max weight allowed for the climber times the distance you'd fall before the lanyard caught you.  How much force will you be putting on your seal belt in a collision?  I dunno but I do know if it comes loose it is useless.

33 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Well, thinking along those lines if your floor is that rusted out bolting a seat belt to it is akin to putting lipstick on a pig.  The seat belt has to have something solid to bolt to in order to function as intended.  Back when I used to climb wind turbines one of the things they trained us on was wearing fall protection and we were told that you need to hook your lanyards to something that can handle a 5000lbs load.  I guess they came up with that number based on max weight allowed for the climber times the distance you'd fall before the lanyard caught you.  How much force will you be putting on your seal belt in a collision?  I dunno but I do know if it comes loose it is useless.

True.  My own 46 spent its whole life in Oklahoma (and has been inside since 1980), so it is very solid.  I would never have thought of attempting to rebuild some of these cars I've seen write-ups about in old car magazines.  (Usually it's a person who has a strong connection with that exact car, that even if he could find another exactly like it, that isn't good enough.  Also usually someone with pretty deep pockets.)

But I imagine the actual weight load put on a seat belt in a collision would surprise most of us, kinda' like your fall protection harnesses.  Seat belt design hasn't really changed much since they started putting them is cars, except for 3 point racing belts.  Passenger jet belts are pretty pathetic, too, compared to the belts in the 50+ year old Cessna 206 we traveled in to & from the village (in Brazil).  (Double shoulder belts connected to the ceiling, and the pilot always made sure everyone had their belts properly adjusted, too.)

11 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Please don’t, if you hit somebody bad enough to separate the body from the frame and it happens, your body and the seatbelt will be the only thing holding the car body to the frame and I’m guessing you’ll be sliced in half you should never bought the seatbelts to the frame ever.

Gee Dad, Wear a seatbelt, Don't bolt the seatbelt to the frame. Frank the Elder just keeping me safe.

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...

You guys sound like the ones I need to talk to…. I’m doing research to put seatbelts into my 1946 D24 2-door. I bought it about two weeks ago. Its in great shape generally. Runs just fine, but just need some paint, interior finish work, and some basic safety features. I keep being told that I can’t put three point seatbelts in because there is no central pillar (2 doors) and if I want them, to go out and find a truck split bench seat from an extended cab truck with the seatbelts built into the seat or perhaps some type of seats with built in seatbelts from a convertible coupe. I have perfectly good original seats. I just want the seats I have to lock into place in the event of a sudden stop (they are floppy) and have me secured so I don’t smash my face on the steering column. Thoughts? This is going to be my daily driver. Thanks, Amanda

6467CC78-9BA9-4E90-8D46-5556C9C0BCD8.jpeg

Edited by 1946 D24c -Oregon

10 minutes ago, 1946 D24c -Oregon said:

Has anyone ever modified one of these seats in a 2-door D24 for a shoulder belt?

Nope, but I did a P23 awhile back.  I used these, followed their instructions, generic instructions to an extent so some thought is needed.  https://www.wescoperformance.com/3-point-seat-belt-chrome-retr.html

I also used their mounting kit.  You want to spread the anchor point loads as widely as possible.  Solid floors are a must.   

Whomever told you

1 hour ago, 1946 D24c -Oregon said:

I keep being told that I can’t put three point seatbelts in because there is no central pillar

Is someone who's advice you can ignore.

You have a "center pillar", officially it's referred to as a B pillar.  That is where my seat belt upper mount is located.

12 minutes ago, 1946 D24c -Oregon said:

How do you get around the backseat access problem? 

Not sure what you mean by seat back access problem.

If you mean getting into the back seat, not an issue.  The belt hangs down when not in use and doesn't impede rear seat access.

If I had to substitute a front split bench seat for mine (in order to get around the floppy, unable to lock the seat upright issue and might as well go ahead and get built in seatbelts if I have to go there…) what would be a good substitute? I could go on an Easter egg hunt through the wrecking yards, but if anyone already knows what works, I’d appreciate it. 

Various GM late models have built in three points as do some convertibles that mopar produced. Models that come to mind are cadillacs, Yukons, envoys and I believe chrysler sebrings are some examples from early 2000's.