On a medical note.........

Frank Elder

LOL on the D 24  :D

Gabapentin seems like some modern day miracle drug. I hope it works well for you. It does for most people.

They use it for nerve pain, It changes the way your mind feels pain. Meaning it is mind altering. ... You still get nerve pain, but your mind processes the pain differently, something you can ignore and live with.

Also used for bi-polar patients, and many other physiological problems. It helps people think clearly.

Dr's, & psychiatrist love to prescribe the drug, no down sides that I know of .... unless you are Los_Control   :D

When I was a kid in the 70's, I did experiment with drugs, 14 years old and take speed with my friends, would put me to sleep .... take a downer and I was running around like I was on speed.

Thats fine, I learned early drugs were not for me.

Fast forward am 48 years old and have a pinched nerve in my neck, they give me gabapentin. A mind altering drug. It works the opposite on me, just like speed when I was a kid.

It gave me nerve pain where I never had pain before, then it made my mind cloudy and confused. They started me with 400mg a day, within 6 months they had me on 3200mg a day, then oxy codone and tramadol all 3 pain killers at same time for 3 years. I was turned into a zombie sitting in front of a blank computer screen and drooling on myself.

The whole problem was gabapentin to begin with.

Sorry for long post, just saying, If you notice uncomfortable pain or unclear mind, things just do not seem right, watch the gabapentin.

I have argued and won with DR's in the past. It is a mind altering drug, it changes the way your mind works and thinks.

I bet almost 50% of forum users here are taking gabapentin. While they have no issues, they are unaware it is a mind altering drug.

• Thanks 1

Want to make sure I Was not makin fun of Los_Controls post.

Just the next about dogs.

DJ

• Haha 1

Gabapentin....Hmm rings a bell. I remember when I suffered a bulging disc in my back. Darn it was awfully painful. It took a long time before I could walk upright. The Doctor did not want to do surgery so they ket giving me stronger drugs until the nerve pain was somewhat tolerable.  Seems to me that Gabapentin was the drug of choice that worked for me. I had been through others and nothing was making a dent in the suffering. I hope it helps you.

I had no issues getting off the drug. That was about 15 years ago. I am way smarter with my back now. I've had no further injuries and I refuse to help people move, or install a new roof. Lol.  Nor will I ask anyone to help me, do anything I won't do myself.  Some things, It's just worth paying cash to young folks with strong backs to do the job.

• Thanks 1

Well I just thought it was hilarious I have a D 24 emblem on my gabapentin when I own a D 24 and for those of you wished me well with the gabapentin thank you, it is also being combined with 50 mg of tramadol once a day. about 10 years ago I was helping a friend clean out The back of a semi trailer And a strong gust of wind  picked up and slammed the door right into my back as I was pinned by the other door already in place so this also has to do with nerve damage and a sciatic nerve I don’t like being on an opioid I don’t even like taking aspirin, but you Gotta do what you Gotta do when the pains got you by the balls.

• Thanks 1

Our fourteen year old Shepard mix has the usual Shepard problems with his hips. He has been on gabapentin for a Few years now. It seems to help him move better when added to the two arthritis(at least I think that is what they are. My daughter the Vet tech gets them through her Vet).   He gets two 100mg tabs per day.  After I reread my post I realized it could be taken a few ways. Only meant that it seems to be a good useful drug.

Then if you want we can discuss my close and personal relationship with Tramadol.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

Best thing for backs are daily back exercises. They were given to me by my doctor the last time I had severe back pain. Five different exercises all done lying on your back. I do them first thing in the morning and seldom miss a day. My back, at 71, does not give me grief and I’m not afraid to use it hard. No back pain for many years. Probably doesn’t work for everyone but has for me. 

I sympathize with those who have back pain or any other chronic pain and know that drugs are often the only solution. 

• Like 1

I’ve had a few painful joint injuries from things like skateboards and motorcycles and just playing basketball. I still live with some of the pain. It’s nothing really, but I do some kind of real work or PT every day to stay loose. I’d get all stove up just sitting at the PC all day, and I’m only 65.

I worked a desk for 45+ years and I just can’t do it any more. I get neuropathy from the sitting and the PC makes my hands hurt. Writing with a pencil is torture, yet I drew engineering drawings all day with a pencil before PCs became common in the 80’s. I can go about an hour before I just have to give up and go work on the car or the saw or anything involving a large hammer or a pipewrench.

I watched my dad on fentanyl for 6 mos while he died from cancer. OMG. . .  just shoot me first. ;(

I suffered a fractured humerus and never took more than aspirin. (OK, there was some bourbon too... I am not much of a drinkin’ man unless there is acute pain.)

I take one aspirin, lutiene and some vitamins for macular issues (AREDS2) vitamin D, and 4 saw palmetto caps (which I think is a scam.)

Nobody ever gave me long term pain pills. I have never seen a tramadol or  a gabapentin. A few codeine pills from oral surgery was about all. 

Other than that I avoid the pharmacy entirely if I can.

On 9/1/2020 at 7:27 PM, Frank Elder said:

Would you care to explain your statement further, I find it very interesting and would like to learn more,  thank you.

My reply to this. I think gabapentin is a good drug that helps everyone, including dogs. If it works for you I wish you luck.

I am only saying, in my position, gabapentin was a drug of choice and it failed and caused many issues. I still have ADD and am permanent  disabled because of gabapentin. At 48 years old.

I am now 58 years old, Ask yourself why you want to take gabapentin.

I honestly do not give a crap what you want to do Frank. I love you either way  :)

When I was in my worst medical condition, no DR would take me off of the gabapentin. If you quit cold turkey, you can actually die from it.

It was incredible when I actually chose to quit.

I went 3 days cold turkey, I really felt bad and thought I would die, I took another pill and I survived.

I was taking max amount 3200 mg per day.  Just saying gabapentin is a drug.

If you like it, I welcome you to it, If you think it may not be what you want. I suggest you deal with it ....

If it changes me for the bad in real life, I have to think about it ... How exactly does it change you in real life?

• Sad 1

Los Control,

My feet don’t hurt as much and I’m a happy SOB when my feet don’t hurt........lol. My wife also has the opposite thing like you when she drinks Red Bull she falls asleep, when she drinks coffee she falls asleep, when she takes Something to put you to sleep she’s up for a day and a half so I feel your pain buddy......lol.

Well, I got a kick out of the "D 24" on that medication, too.  Always do when something like that seems to randomly show up.  Luckily, I am not on any meds.  I've had back issues since a poorly executed PLF in my Army days, but stay on top of it with exercise (so far).  I do not have a poor opinion of meds, but I do believe that if it is not having it's intended affect, discuss it with the Doctor.  Sometimes they have to use cocktails of drugs, sometimes they have to change them, sometimes they refuse to believe you, and sometimes nothing will work or work well.  Remember that Doctors are not infallible, there's a reason they call it "practicing" medicine.  I've seen too many people lose time because the meds that are supposed to make them better make them miss out on more than the original affliction would have. 

• Like 1

When I read about your maladies, I’m very fortunate and thankful to have lived 82 years mostly pain free. Have some knee and arthritis problems, but still getting along.  My best wishes to each and all of you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

@RobertKB they have upped my dose from 600 mgs to 800 mgs......the designation has changed from D 24 to D 25......lol!

Nothing like a D25. Makes you an honorary Canadian. Come on up when the border’s open. 

D25 Canadian Dodge aka Plodge

You could go from this.........

15CA9265-0053-436B-88A7-A507DCCF411D.jpeg.27b28b0197a6482597725166d764f521.jpeg

to this..........LOL ?

ADA71D98-A723-4114-9B52-C106918B34C9.jpeg.f93757d5dd614771d80004991a9e7068.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks!?

There’s a lot of years between pictures. First was in 1976 when I bought the car and the second was a couple of weeks ago. Lot of fun, maintenance, and money spent in between. Two motors and two paint jobs along the way. Many great memories also!

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1