Flathead truck cam

12 minutes ago, '47 dodge 1.5 ton said:

1st time on this site. Looking for 265 dual carb/exhaust truck cam specs that made 136HP.  Thank you, Kevin

Welcome to the site!

Our site owner requests parts requests be placed in the "classifieds" section of the site if you are looking for parts:

https://p15-d24.com/classifieds/

Otherwise someone will chime in I'm sure for spec information.

thanks!

• ggdad1951 locked and unlocked this topic

Yes, I am looking for the specifications for lift & profile as not ready to purchase one at this time. I bought this truck in the spring that was not running, got it going and the motor is weak. I have future plans to change the motor after I finish other mechanical issues. I have never worked on any Mopars of this vintage and am really enjoying this project so far, some of these items are a real challenge to find. Thanks again for any help! Kevin  

16 hours ago, bkahler said:

I believe he is looking for the cam SPECS and not a cam.  Sounds like he's looking to grind his own cam.

Brad

I was just coverin the bases, considering how many things can get reported.  :)

and as predicted someone came up with the info!  

Stock 136 hp 265 factory fual carbs would be .375 or .380 lift. Duration I can see what i can find out 

The stock cam was nothing to special, it would have provided max torque at around 1600 RPM and HP would have been at 3600 RPM.

This would have been normal and for normal usage running in the 2 to 3k RPM ranges.

These engines had lots of grunt in a diesel like RPM band, of course gearing allowed a relatively low HP engine to move a lot of weight.

Not sure that is what you wanted to know.

The above noted link is for a cam regrind to more lift, duration and lobe separation 

Its not the stock 265 dual carbs truck cam profile.

Possibly it may be what you want.

Edited by 55 Fargo

On 9/1/2020 at 7:55 PM, '47 dodge 1.5 ton said:

Yes, I am looking for the specifications for lift & profile as not ready to purchase one at this time. I bought this truck in the spring that was not running, got it going and the motor is weak. I have future plans to change the motor after I finish other mechanical issues. I have never worked on any Mopars of this vintage and am really enjoying this project so far, some of these items are a real challenge to find. Thanks again for any help! Kevin  

On your engine, if tired and down on compression it will be weak.

They can be a lot more responsive when compression is raised and engine is in good internal condition after a rebuild.

Is your engine a truck 265 with factory dual carbs and exhaust?

My Truck is currently a 237 with low compression and a dead cylinder. I soaked it with MM through the spark plugs and pulled the side cover and soaked the valve train with kroil and didn't seem to gain anything. I managed to find a 265 in a combine a few months ago that had very low hours, still had the original wires and points. This engine runs great, went about 30 miles on it bringing it home, also managed to purchase the factory dual carb/exhaust with Ball & Ball truck carbs to add to this engine when complete. I just don't want to tear into the 265 without doing some upgrades and I have never worked on a flathead before. My plans are to mill the head on some degree of an angle (if possible) and go with the factory truck cam or slightly over in lift if that's proven to gain hp & torque along with "total seal" rings when I find out which ones work best in these engines then work on the ignition. I also need to know how much of the IND 265 is compatible for this application, such as the pilot bushing and others changes. I will be using at a minimum the truck 4 speed and hoping a synchronized later 5sp will work with my bell housing and hand brake. I appreciate the feedback as this was exactly the information I looking for.

on another note: I am trying to delete my second profile tied to my e-mail as it is causing me problem getting back on here!  Kevin

On 9/1/2020 at 11:24 AM, '47 dodge 1.5 ton said:

1st time on this site. Looking for 265 dual carb/exhaust truck cam specs that made 136HP.  Thank you, Kevin

Suggest contact with someone who has built many/many Mopar flathead 6's for racing, drivers, etc. Builds multicarb setups, Cams, trans work. George is semi retired and up in years.

Phone calls only for George, old school -but loves to talk-when you can get through.  Last I heard M-F only Not late!

George Ashe- 814-354-2621

George Ashe/ Tim Kingsbury

1693 Fertigs Rd.

Fertigs, Pa. 16364

Yes, I have been up to see George, great guy! I am tossing sending the motor up to him, just that I like to tinker a little myself. I'll be up to see him very soon, he's making me a dual exhaust in case mine gives up in the future as I had a few cracks to address.  I spoke to him about the "total seal" rings and I know he has not heard of them before but thought it would be a good option. I have used them in the past in a 340, (2) 360's, all are still running with no ill effects (1 engine has over 100k and no smoke!). That was about 25 years ago and now they market several different types so I was hoping to touch base with someone that's used them in a flathead Chrysler motor.

I took the 1.5 ton for it's first short run this weekend, very cool! I had just went through the starter, carb, fuel supply, brakes, bearings, and seals on the rear. Now it looks like I need to address the front brakes as well being they are not releasing correctly.

Thanks for all your input!   Kevin