Tires and pics

Pooshoe

I was looking to buy some Coker white walls but they are $ . I don’t mind spending it but I also don’t want to by then and not like them. You guys have pics of your tire and rims and what size the tires are? Would help me out ! Thanks

5B6AF3C3-9A53-47F7-BF2B-1D8E5F04A108.jpeg

The Plymouth was lowered 2' all round and had 15x6 and 15x7 Chrome smoothies from Wheel Vintiques with the standard offset that these wheels came with.........the tyres were Coker Classisc Whitewall Radials  in 195/65x15 and 235/65x15 sizes........there were no clearance issues on front or back wheels or tyres on inner or outer wheelarch or fenders and on right or left lock...........in 2008 the tyres cost $1800.00, the wheels $900.00, thats Oz dollars........ ..sold the car like a dope............lol.......still got the 'ol brown ******* tho'.............andyd

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

Edited by Andydodge
more info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I run Coker white wall radials on my Chrysler. The look seems to suit it well. I run black wall Coker bias tires on my 38. I can't be sure, but I suspect white walls were not too common in 1938, especially on a Plymouth. The bottom of the Mopar line. I suspect the Plymouth was more of a working man's car. I like both tire options. The bias gives me the feeling of the car back when it was new. Of course the radials offer a smoother ride  and easier to drive. Yet so is the Chrysler's entire suspension and steering too. It was designed to be that way. In 1938 the Plymouth had a solid front axle with leaf springs on each corner and king pin style steering. White walls on it just don't seem right to me.

The choice is yours. Some folks will put white walls on some of the cheapest cars of the time. Some folks will put black wall radials on a Dusenberg.  Your call. Depends what you want.

IMG_3622 (1).jpg

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Coker H78 15" bias ply tires, standard rims:

20190611_hangar.jpg.6376541933c6696074cc116779cec1a8.jpg

45 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Coker H78 15" bias ply tires, standard rims:

20190611_hangar.jpg.6376541933c6696074cc116779cec1a8.jpg

What is the overall diameter of your tires? What width is the WW?  I have bias ply on my 48 Chrysler Windsor and reasearch tells me originally they would be 7.60x15 with a dia of 28.7". Right now I have G78 with a dia of 27.75"  One side wall is beginning to crack slightly, so it's soon time to make a decission.  I actually like the authentic ride and feel of the bia ply.  Keeps me on my toes.  Plus it brings back lots of great memories.

If I switch to a radial like-a-like bias ply. Out of the three choices of Diamondback, American Classic, and Coker, I find that Coker is the most expensive and the WW width is only 2 3/4".  Diamondback and American Classic WW width are 3 1/4" 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, harmony said:

What is the overall diameter of your tires? What width is the WW?  I have bias ply on my 48 Chrysler Windsor and reasearch tells me originally they would be 7.60x15 with a dia of 28.7". Right now I have G78 with a dia of 27.75"  One side wall is beginning to crack slightly, so it's soon time to make a decission.  I actually like the authentic ride and feel of the bia ply.  Keeps me on my toes.  Plus it brings back lots of great memories.

If I switch to a radial like-a-like bias ply. Out of the three choices of Diamondback, American Classic, and Coker, I find that Coker is the most expensive and the WW width is only 2 3/4".  Diamondback and American Classic WW width are 3 1/4" 

All the details from Coker:

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/h78-15-coker-classic-3-whitewall-tire.html

28.36", 3" whitewall

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

Because we travel in our Plymouth, I wanted tires that could be replaced economically virtually anywhere we might be.  I had 4 205 75r 15 but found them to be a bit short on the rears. So, I went 225 75r 15 on the rear.  Wheels are aftermarket 15 x 5.5.

IMG_20170516_153957_154.jpg.18b74e1a5893edd3ff038fc9715f938c.jpg

• Like 4

keith, you like rearview mirrors. did this car come with stock rearviews on the door near the vent window? my 54 Windsor convertible has the worst rearview mirrors of any car I have owned. i put one on the drip rail like yours on the passenger side, but not much help for this car. it is a different door design. I even tried a truck mirror that extends, but not good either. anyway, the car is beautiful. I had a 53 imperial about 12 years ago. power everything. rode and drove better than my 54, but it only had 32,000 miles on the odometer. I have not used the brake tool I bought from you, but will let you know when I do. I am going to re-install the power brake booster and will set up all my brake adjustments then. I may be annoying you for some tips. I tried 235x15 tires, but they rubbed on the front suspension. took a while to figure that out. the 235's were ok when I had wire wheels, but not with the stock steel rims that I went back to. now it is all stock with blackwalls. more like when original. be safe,  dennis    

Hi Dennis the mirrors aren’t great. I bought them as they are period correct. They added a goofy look from the 50’s. The passenger side mirror is useless. I decided to point it down at the RR tire. That way when I am parallel parking I can check my white wall against the curb. The driver’s side is a little more usable as I sit close to it. 

I bought a stick-on convex mirror and stuck it to the flat mirror on my ‘38 car. Driver side. It’s very effective and I prefer it. 

On my ‘53 photo above you’ll see a non-stock mirror bolted to the left fender. I stuck the same convex mirror on it. Much better as well. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

I LIKE WW TIRES SO MUCH ON MY DODGE,, EVEN MY HARLEY-DAVIDSON TRI-GLIDE HAS THEM ,, LOL

SAME TREND HAS THE DODGE ,, THEY ARE 205/65R15 COKER (B.F. GOODRICH SILVERSTONE) 

AND I HAVE ALSO A 1976 HARLEY 1000 SPORTSTER WITH WHITE WALLS ...large.823048615_WWHARLEY.jpg.bda18965de6ca8eb6013b37c0c2f41de.jpg

• Like 1

I am currently using a B F Goodrich branded radial tire from Coker, size 215-75R-15.   I prefer these over the Coker Classics for quality and how the whitewalls 

clean up.  Cost was right at $250 each.  To me, they make the car drive better and do not follow ruts in the road like bias ply.  They are a bit harder to turn

when maneuvering in tight quarters or parking.  Although they are radials, I have them install a radial inner tube because I don't know how airtight my

1955 Chrysler wheel spokes are.  That system has worked for me for many years although you would probably want to go tubeless with a regular steel

wheel.    For a spare, I am now using one of those new radials from American Classic that looks like a bias ply....as it is narrower than the ones on my wheels

and fits into the spare tire well.

It's sized like 215-R15 I think.  Also sells for right at $250.    

DSC00380.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

• Like 2

One of the advantages of bias ply tires besides looking better than the radials, is that they manoeuvre a lot easier when parking. Especially with the big steering wheel I hardly notice that I don't have power steering.  I'm curious if anyone using the American Classic look-a-like similar to the one in BobT's trunk, notices a comparison between it and the bias ply, in respect to ease of turning?  I would suspect they would be similar to the bias ply since there is less rubber contacting the ground than the radials and I think they would be firm like the bias ply.

Coker Classic Nostalgia radial tire. 6 X 16 original rims I bought them thinking they would be an upgrade to bias white walls. I bought these about 4 years ago 2 tires had to be sent back as they too around 9 ounces to balance, previous tires had 1.5 ounces. They look nice but I would not spend the money again on this style of tire.

20181020_142817.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

thank for all the input guys !

@1949 Wraith i was looking  at the coker classic 550x16 or600x16 radials but you don't like them? if you had to spend the money again what would you get?

@BobT-47P15 the tires look nice! i was trying to go with a lower profile tire but i may have to go with those.

On 9/1/2020 at 11:04 PM, keithb7 said:

I run Coker white wall radials on my Chrysler. The look seems to suit it well. I run black wall Coker bias tires on my 38. I can't be sure, but I suspect white walls were not too common in 1938, especially on a Plymouth. The bottom of the Mopar line. I suspect the Plymouth was more of a working man's car. I like both tire options. The bias gives me the feeling of the car back when it was new. Of course the radials offer a smoother ride  and easier to drive. Yet so is the Chrysler's entire suspension and steering too. It was designed to be that way. In 1938 the Plymouth had a solid front axle with leaf springs on each corner and king pin style steering. White walls on it just don't seem right to me.

The choice is yours. Some folks will put white walls on some of the cheapest cars of the time. Some folks will put black wall radials on a Dusenberg.  Your call. Depends what you want.

IMG_3622 (1).jpg

What wires are those they are beautiful! @keithb7

On 11/3/2020 at 4:25 PM, Frank Elder said:

What wires are those they are beautiful! @keithb7

Those were optional rims, factory order I believe in 53-54. I have seen them in ads from that period. Usually seen on a NY'r or an Imperial. You know, the big money guys with the nicest toys. I had an opportunity to buy a used set a couple of years ago. I jumped on them. As they indeed class-up my Chrysler considerably!

• Like 1