Bend Pak HDO series lifts...

Plymouthy Adams

How many folks on here own a Bend Pak open front series lift be it a 12 or 14 series....dating from 2004 to present.  Bend Pak states: "When BendPak lifts undergo ALI/ETL testing, they are tested with and without bolts. A 9,000-lb. capacity HD-9 lift remains safe and ALI certified without bolts. That means even high-volume auto repair bays can safely lift vehicles on lifts that are not bolted into place."

I like that statement but have reservation on the open front lift that has no tie between the front columns as does the rear.  I  know all weight is by design to be be lifted and supported central to each column and the large pad on the column is to displace this and avoid rocking/sway.  

Question, any one ever operate a HDO professional series not bolted in place.  Inquiring minds want to know.

I have had my other lift, a 4 poster free standing and operating with no problems not bolted down for 17 years.  I will soon be moving this to another slab of concrete and will cross about 30 feet of grassy area.  This evening I modified the casters from single 2 x 6 wheels per caster to twin 2 x 6 wheels.  I hope to displace the weight a bit better doing this.  The center of the caster is also sleeved where the axle goes through so to help with any tendency to buckle at this point...or lets way that is my hope anyway....in comparison to the Bend Pak in weight and size...this is a baby.  This is the lift I am rebuilding and will be installing in my place of my smaller lift...as you can see....it is a monster......both rolling jacks is with the lift as are the alignment turntables.  

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_3787.JPG

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

running change..I was sitting here and recalled I should have some large casters upstairs....I did...so if 1 is good and two is better that make 3 being

OVERKILL......but I do not think I will need to have my son run out to help with the move now as I think it will now displace enough with less fear of sinking deep in the yard.

IMG_3788.JPG

I feel  your pain on the dry...usually August is our hot and dry month...so far it has been just as wet, more attuned to monsoons.  Temps not sweltering hot but humidity makes it a bit unbearable at times.  I not so long ago had a cement truck in the area with 9 yards onboard....had to fill in the depression left in the area...so I suspect it will be subject to sink a bit...I need this displacement....I do not have access to enough scrap wood at this time.  Odds are the garden tractor will be my oomph getting it moving across the yard.      

I think the no need to bolt the 4 POST lift down is a big plus selling point to the DIY'ER 4 POST lift market.

Helps sell the caster kits making the lift movable in the hobbiest's shop.

As known they normally do not need to be bolted down.

But if you climb up on the lift say getting into the car the lift does wobble somewhat.

I bolted mine down for that and other reasons.

Now as for the open front 4 poster lifts...

It would be dangerous not to bolt one of those down.

BP HDO instructions do instruct on bolting that lift down.

The two open front posts certainly would pull inward with a load on them.

My Rotary lift open front instructions say to bolt the lift down and give concrete thickness etc.

I got a caster set for my Hd14 extended tall lift and could barely move it on my smooth flat shop floor....had to use a come-along...still tough to do ...that lift 20 feet long is just too heavy to move.

I know the HD7 AND HD9 lifts can be rolled around the shop somewhat easily.

Depends on the caster tire hardness...steel would be best.

When moving the 4 posters they are pretty flimsy.....the posts and cross bars wobble move a lot..

With hard dirt and three wheel caster sets hopefully the move will go well pulling it with the GT!

Let's see the video!

Thanks Bob....I will be bolting the HDO to concrete and could not find a definite on the mounting question.  All Bend Pak installation guides have the anchoring process in the install. 

The move is complete now....it went better than expected.  The lift had a couple inches each side rolling out the 10 foot door with the pump motor still mounted to the column...the shop bay looks plum naked with it removed.  The roll across the dirt/grass met some resistance but did not bury down.  Most damage done was when I spun the tire on the lawn mower I towed it with with initial positioning of the casters.  Set in place on a squared grid...sits dead level, columns plumed even at full height.....checked all safety latch adjustments just as the smart thing to do.   The front columns setting left of the lift sorta denotes the size of the one replacing this puppy.  

IMG_3789.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

IMG_3792.JPG

• Like 2

Excellent job Tim!

Now is time to sit back ,relax a little...and look at that well done job!

Congratulations ?

Thanks Bob...just in the nick of time might I add..it is raining pretty heavily at the minute.    Sitting back with a cup of Folgers right now...now I just got to build my addition to the right of the carport and close it in.  Always something but like most kids...we having fun.  It is so nice to be able to do stuff like this...where I used to live I had no room for my barn...it is wider than my entire lot was back there over a 1/3 would be in the neighbors yard.....and would be dead against the back wall of the house.  I am fortunate to be able to play such as I do.  

Nobody out here knows what the hellgrammite is so I had to laugh when I saw the Porsche.

They were common in the Rocky Mountains and we used to find them for fish bait.

We didn’t know what the hell a hellgrammite was & as kids we called them rock rollers.

At some point it became a comic book character.

Edited by Ulu
  • Like 1

we would also gather as many of these as we could find along with salamanders...they were the two best live bait for bass and bluegill....they ugly black critters...wide with the rambling legs, a bit long in the body and height challenged so figured it suited the Porsche....barely could fit it on the tag...I was not aware of the comic book character....bet it has been 55 years since I looked at a comic book other than Vaughn Bode'

part of the ongoing lift project...preparing the area for install.  This used to be three school science/lab tables....took the wheels and tops off...set on a base....new counter top....and what is a throw back to an old movie...PAINT 'N' COUNTERS OF THE THIRD TIME...

this time around the cabinets got shelves to go with the drawers....I have plans to rework the left side cabinets also...

cut out is for my wash tank to sit flush..moved the switch to cabinet long ago

IMG_3795.JPG

• Like 1

Vaughn Bode’?

I got rid of all of that stuff before my kids were old enough to read.

Is that the six-cylinder Porsche? I never really followed German cars very much.

Edited by Ulu

• 2 weeks later...