Rechroming

Jeff I indu

I am looking to rechrome my rock shield. I just sent pictures to Paul's Chrome and Smittys Chrome for estimates. Both places popped up on my phone and I dont know anything about them. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with either of them or if you have favorable dealings with someone else. I am close to cincinnati, louisville and indianapolis if anyone has had a good experience with a chrome refinisher in these areas

Thanks

Jeff

20200829_110044.jpg

I  (and a friend)  had some chrome work done by Highline Plating of Cuba, Missouri.....a small town in the general area south

of St. Louis.  We were pleased with the results and felt pricing was reasonable.   They charged me (at the time) (3 - 4 years ago) about $400 to re-do

a 47 Plymouth front bumper (without guards).....while another place would do triple show chrome on the same item for $1200. 

Just depends on what you want.

Link:       https://highlineplating.webs.com/

Edited by BobT-47P15

That Chrysler die cast can be tough to plate...especially doing a nice job and on a complicated Chrysler item like your stone guards.

Keep us informed.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Spelling errors!

I wonder too, about pricing, and how much less it would be for chroming a new piece, say in aluminum cast.  Aluminum would need first zinc, then copper, then nickel before chrome, as I recall from when I worked in a plating shop back in the 70's - very early 80's.  I remember one chrome job on pot metal, and if I had to say, it went through the same process, but it's too long ago to remember for sure, and because we didn't do it very often.  (It was hand cranks for Zebco reels.)

The reason I mention aluminum casting is because I do tech work for a casting company near here, and recently saw a 3 carb intake for a Corvette (he said).  I assumed it was a custom design, but he didn't actually say so.  

Edited by Eneto-55

I've used Pauls who did a fantastic job and really expensive. That was some time ago and for the last several years I've used Cambridge Custom Chrome in Canada. They also do good work and may be a little bit cheaper than Paul's because environmental regulations  not as strict in Canada. The cost of replating is certainly going up and cost of badly pitted 36 buick hood ornament $700 within the last few months. Altho really badly pitted I would say the cost increased %30-40 in last 5-10 years. Good luck with jproject. 

18 mths ago I had 12 items chromed...........7 inside window garnish moldings all made from steel, 2 front door, 2 rear door, 2 rear side window and 0ne rear window, the 4 original 1940 Oz Dodge door opening kickplates which were originally chromed on a brass extrusion and the Valiant steering column collapsible "can" which was steel............the total was $2090.00 which got me triple chrome, ie, copper,nickel & chrome............be a while before i need any more done.......lol........ andyd 

P1010401.JPG

P1010400.JPG

• Like 1

if it's Smitty's in Oshkosh NE I used them. No issues. Can be slow but not a lot of choices for this kind of work. Quality Plating Yuma Colorado (970)-848-2065 is another source I was told about after I had got my parts back from Smitty's 

The shop I worked at was United Plating Works, in Tulsa, Oklahoma.  Their chrome operation was industrial chrome (at least when I worked there), but one of the 5 owners had a buddy who came in & chromed suspension parts for his 32 Ford hotrod.

None of the 5 guys who were running the operation back when I worked there are involved anymore (but they are all mentioned by name in the 'history' section of the website), and none of those who are currently running the business were there already during that time, either.  Maybe they wouldn't accept any small jobs - very possibly not.

Edited by Eneto-55

Thanks for all the suggestions. Prices are all over the board. I sent the same picture and description to several chrome refinishers. 12 inch X 8 inch and described as pot metal. 2 small pits on the bottom lip.

Several dont do small jobs so didn't waste my time with them. Paul's did not respond to my quote request at all. Smittys chrome said they could do it for $125. Highline plating quoted 235 to 325. Cambridge quoted $350. D.G. custom chrome in cincinnati would not quote until they see it but he was talking at least a couple hundred dollars over the phone. Got a quote from St. Louis Plating for $100 today. Talked to them on the phone and as long as it is as described he feels he can do it for $100 plus return shipping. So I will be sending it off tomorrow to St. Louis. If it comes back looking brand new I will be very happy. If it has a few minor flaws I will still be happy. My other side rock shield  is not perfect, it has some pitting, but definitely not bad enough to justify rechroming. So worse case is they match

Jeff

On 9/2/2020 at 2:32 PM, Jeff I indu said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Prices are all over the board. I sent the same picture and description to several chrome refinishers. 12 inch X 8 inch and described as pot metal. 2 small pits on the bottom lip.

Several dont do small jobs so didn't waste my time with them. Paul's did not respond to my quote request at all. Smittys chrome said they could do it for $125. Highline plating quoted 235 to 325. Cambridge quoted $350. D.G. custom chrome in cincinnati would not quote until they see it but he was talking at least a couple hundred dollars over the phone. Got a quote from St. Louis Plating for $100 today. Talked to them on the phone and as long as it is as described he feels he can do it for $100 plus return shipping. So I will be sending it off tomorrow to St. Louis. If it comes back looking brand new I will be very happy. If it has a few minor flaws I will still be happy. My other side rock shield  is not perfect, it has some pitting, but definitely not bad enough to justify rechroming. So worse case is they match

Jeff

The longer you let the pitting go the more expensive it will be.........pot metal is like bubble rust, what you are seeing is only the tip of the iceberg. Each pit will have to be drilled out so they can find the extent of the damage, then the zinc will have to be filled and smoothed to perfection before being plated. Even then that is no guarantee that they got all that cancer excised.....that is why a lot of shops won’t even touch pot metal anymore.

I know around here no good quality plater would touch that die cast for less than $400.00.

As mentioned hidden any pits found...price goes up ...fast.

EPA is the reason of high costs and closing up of all the platers we use to have.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Guys, I will advise the outcome. It's in the mail. Since 99% of the chrome is already gone there is nothing to hide. The majority of the surface is as smooth as it appears in the picture. I already advised them that there are 2 small pits in the bottom lip that should be filled. But all who gave me estimates advised that until they have the piece in hand it is subject to change. I am hoping for the best. 

The original rock guard was accidently run over by the previous owner. This one is a Ebay purchase. I cant explain the almost total lack of chrome without more pitting but that's how it appears to me. There is zero chrome appearing in the picture. Only less than 1 square inch left on bottom lip. 

Jeff

• 2 months later...

Got it back yesterday. They did it for 100 dollars plus 15 for return shipping. They did repair the two pits in the bottom lip as they are completely gone. If I look real close I can see dozens of very tiny pits especially within the horizontal grooves.  Totally unnoticeable before I sent it in.I guess that's what you get with potmetal. However once on the car they won't be noticeable. Overall for 100 bucks plus shipping I am happy with the result. NOS does not exist and if it did I am sure it would be a lot more than I have in it now. St louis plating did what they said and I guess I got what I paid for

Jeff

20201112_081318.jpg

That looks like a good job and good price, pot metal is always hard to find someone prepared to rechrome it..........andyd