Question to forum about Mail volumne changes?

DJ194950

18 hours ago, Sniper said:

I don't get much other than junk mail since I do almost all my bills and such online.  As for shipping, the USPS has always been hit or miss as far as tracking and delivery times.  Most of the time though it's like someone mentioned, it sets "label created" but doesn't actually get shipped for a few days.

Probably the originator of the shipment put it in the system and they are short handed. 

that triggers back to e-bay that the item is shipped but only on paper at this time....when it enters the mains stream could be later that day or couple days later.  The big problems are when you make purchases after their processing hours last day of the week.  I am never in that  big a hurry with internet buying and if needed sooner will get locally if at possible.  

• Like 2

All my bills and correspondence are in email or text, the only mail I receive anymore is junk mail and circulars and government generated mail. If I had my choice I would pull my mailbox out of the ground and throw it in the circular file. If it wasn’t for my correspondence with Social Security I would do just that. I have one older Aunt that still writes me about ten times a year and sends holiday cards, I am going to miss that when she passes.?

34 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I wonder how the kids today would handle having to wait "6-8 weeks for delivery"?

Probably no better or worse than I did as a child when I mailed in my cereal box tops along with a dime to get a magic decoder ring. By the time it finally arrived, seemingly a year later, I had pretty much forgotten it and gone on to other toys and things.

• Like 2

I’ve never voted on a machine. We have always had paper ballots that you marked or punched, but I think we’re just discussing whether the saw will cut you deeper than the knife.

My parents were in the military and often had to vote by mail. I have voted by mail, but I don’t consider it completely safe.

Why would anyone?

Of course my parents warned me, but even the post office itself tells you never to send valuables or cash through the mail. A lot of insurance is sold because we know their service isn’t 100% reliable. People want that assurance for important mail.

The post office tells you that if you want to be absolutely certain mail was received you need a signature from the recipient. You must send “certified mail with return receipt requested.” I don’t see anybody asking for that yet. The cost is probably scaring people.

All that being said, the huge United States Postal Service is probably the most reliable state sponsored institution in the free world. It is so large that it would be virtually impossible to corrupt the entire thing to act illegally. It’s like all these mass conspiracies people dream of. If they existed we would know, because in this life 3 people cannot keep a secret.

Edited by Ulu

there is a large difference between absentee ballot voting and voting by mail.

To absentee vote you have to request the ballot, the request is verified against the registration rolls and if everything matches they send you a ballot.  You vote, send it back and there are checks upon return, signature matches being one.  I used to absentee vote when I was in the Navy.

Voting by mail is when the gov't mails out an unrequested ballot to every voter based on whatever information they have at hand.  There are no pre mailing checks on the ballot since it's unrequested and there have already been multiple examples of irregularities in this method.  

The only real similarity between the two is that the US Mail is used in the process and there are ballots involved.  The security of the procedure is substantially weakened with the vote by mail scheme.