1952 Dodge Cornet Gyromatic transmission not shifting down after Protonix electronic ignition installed

anils50

Hi Guys, Need your help. I have 1952 Dodge Cornet with Gyromatic transmission. It is no longer shifting down after installation of  Protonix electronic ignition.

Originally with factory distributor car was working fine with Gyromatic transmission after installing Protonix electric ignition it has stopped shifting down. At start car shift up fine to second gear but when at stop sign or at lower speed it does not shift down. 

Noticed few things when at stop sign if I let go the break and pump the clutch is does shifts down to lower gear. Seems like interrupter switch not getting the correct signal of lower RPM and shifts down. 

Any help is appreciated. thx

Pertronix is problematic with gyromatic. I tried converting my 52 coronet and it started 3 times before burning up the module. I believe a resistor must be added although I’m not sure if that will solve your problem. The distributor is momentarily grounded to allow the trans to shift. I went back to points. I can buy a lot of them for what Pertronix costs. Good luck and keep us posted.

Have you called Pertronix for technical information?  I did, when I installed their system five years ago.  Other posts are covering this. 

See my wiring diagram.  You need a resistor in the interrupter circuit.   Pertronix calls for a 7 ohm, 5 watt resistor.  But 12.5  watts is OK.  

165458072_WiringBreakervsPertronix.thumb.jpg.a409a671db14e4128e697ff50d33f193.jpg