Transmission Broken?

Daniel L

Hey guys, decided to start and attempt to drive my 47' P15 but ran into some problems. I could not shift into gear while the car was running so I decided to try to shift in gear before starting her up. When I did that I released the clutch did not engage on 1st gear or reverse but worked in 2nd and 3rd gear. The clutch caught and I moved forward at 2nd gear but immediately stopped since I'm not ready to actually drive her. I fiddled with the linkages and noticed that the lever closest to the rear end was really loose and felt like it was not moving anything inside the tranny. I believe I have the linkages connected correctly and to the right levers on the transmission. My biggest questions are...

1. Is my tranny broken and do I have to find a new one?

2. Is my tranny broken but can I fix it, cheaply?

3. Did I do the linkages wrong and or am I missing something?

Thanks guys

Dan

It is unlikely your transmission is broken, most likely the linkage is not properly adjusted.

I assume you have the service manual for your car and the linkage is connected properly. I would start with adjusting the gear selector rod as shown in the image below. If everything is good with the transmission you will find a setting that will allow you to shift into all gears.

transmission-15.jpg.b5862f673ca444c57960cf39f67024e1.jpg

If the transmission has been disassembled the shift forks may not be correctly installed:

transmission-6.jpg.9c6694a72f5c446b0fa16689efebb03b.jpg

Once again, your manual is your friend.  :)

41 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

It is unlikely your transmission is broken, most likely the linkage is not properly adjusted.

I assume you have the service manual for your car and the linkage is connected properly. I would start with adjusting the gear selector rod as shown in the image below. If everything is good with the transmission you will find a setting that will allow you to shift into all gears.

transmission-15.jpg.b5862f673ca444c57960cf39f67024e1.jpg

If the transmission has been disassembled the shift forks may not be correctly installed:

transmission-6.jpg.9c6694a72f5c446b0fa16689efebb03b.jpg

Once again, your manual is your friend.  :)

Thanks for the info, I will play with the gear selector in a few. Quick question, should the gearshift selector level be loose? Mine is very loose and I'm  worried that the gearshift selector cam and shaft.

If you can not shift into gear with the car running. You might have some clutch adjustments to make as well. Sounds like there is not enough clearance.

The manual says that you loosen the lock nut on the selector rod and tighten the other nut till all play in the rod is taken up. Then, back off the adjusting nut 1/2 turn for clearance, and tighten the lock nut. That should enable you to get low and reverse when the shift lever is pulled back or up.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:15 PM, 9 foot box said:

The manual says that you loosen the lock nut on the selector rod and tighten the other nut till all play in the rod is taken up. Then, back off the adjusting nut 1/2 turn for clearance, and tighten the lock nut. That should enable you to get low and reverse when the shift lever is pulled back or up.

Perfect thank you!

• 10 months later...