License Plate Restoration

Wow, those look really nice.  My state recently started offering YOM repop plates for older vehicles but sadly they aren't embossed.  I run them but they lack the proper vintage look of original stuff like that.  Well done!

Paint tip for the future:  Rustoleum sprays really nicely out of those cheapie purple spray guns from Harbor Freight.  Seriously nice, like good enough to paint some of your restoration project parts like the chassis, suspension, axles, engine bay, firewall, bumpers, running boards, etc.  In my climate I mix 1 part acetone to 2 parts paint and shoot at 90 psi.  It lays out well with good gloss and almost no orange peel.  The gun is low enough priced that you don't feel bad if you choose to just throw it away instead of cleaning it.  For even better results a couple drops of enamel hardener makes it cure really fast and glossy.  That stuff has isocyanate in it so I usually chicken out but if you have a good respirator it will make a low buck approach look fantastic.

On 9/24/2020 at 1:56 PM, Old CWO said:

Paint tip for the future:  Rustoleum sprays really nicely out of those cheapie purple spray guns from Harbor Freight.

I will definitely grab one of these $15.99 !!

Capture1_165x240.jpg.1f13b9e3c46b3b065d6819b9d959ce6c.jpg

CENTRAL PNEUMATIC - 20 Oz. HVLP Gravity Feed Air Spray Gun

I am guessing you are talking the Quart cans?

On 9/26/2020 at 12:26 PM, billrigsby said:

I will definitely grab one of these $15.99 !!

Capture1_165x240.jpg.1f13b9e3c46b3b065d6819b9d959ce6c.jpg

CENTRAL PNEUMATIC - 20 Oz. HVLP Gravity Feed Air Spray Gun

I am guessing you are talking the Quart cans?

They go on sale for $9.99 fairly frequently.   it's a bargain for smaller paint jobs.

Yes, the rusto in half pints, quarts or gallons. I assume every other hardware store type alkyd enamel will perform the same - I just generally use rusto for sake of color match and universal availability. 

I have only shot that type of paint through the purple gun so no personal experience with other coatings.  I will say this; it's a serious upgrade from a rattle bomb for not much more money.

Added '48' tag for the front plate, time to put this to bed!

DONE

Graphic30_656x1200.JPG.ffd5bcfa44b25a83666b51a56f4646ab.JPG  

Graphic31_1441x1200.JPG.b1e57788b3cdb4112da7df736798b0f3.JPG

• Like 1

Just can not leave well enough alone, 

made a pack plate for extra strength and

to protect the back side of the plate.

Graphic32_656x1200.JPG.b4f7c9eefc9b723ff5ecb7261c23fec0.JPG

You can put the sticker tags anywhere you like as long as they are near the plate. CA supplies the metal tabs for convenience, but not required to use those. They were too bulky for me, so I mounted mine on a separate flat aluminum plate, placed next to the license plate on the bumper. 

As was reportedly stated by a CHP officer once, "As long as we don't have to go hunting for them, can't imagine anyone losing sleep over it..."

There are specific rules. Here it is from the horses mouth. Pretty simple, and entirely flexible. You must use the supplied tag well. It must be attached as instructed. This wasn't reportedly said by someone who doesn't make the rules anyway.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/vehicle-industry-registration-procedures-manual-2/special-plates/year-of-manufacture-yom-license-plates/

Edited by lostviking

On 10/5/2020 at 6:38 PM, lostviking said:

There are specific rules. Here it is from the horses mouth. Pretty simple, and entirely flexible. You must use the supplied tag well. It must be attached as instructed. This wasn't reportedly said by someone who doesn't make the rules anyway.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/vehicle-industry-registration-procedures-manual-2/special-plates/year-of-manufacture-yom-license-plates/

Fortunately, I have already jumped through these hoops….

YOM License Plates are officially manufactured California license plates issued in:

— 1972 or prior, for commercial vehicles.

·         DMV must determine that the YOM license plates are legible and serviceable prior to assignment to a vehicle.

·         YOM license plates must be supplied by the vehicle owner and authenticated by DMV personnel.

·         Base year license plates must have the appropriate year validation sticker attached to the plate to be authenticated as other than the base year.

The plates must be:

— original (legible and unaltered characters).
— a configuration authorized for the year of the vehicle entered on the application.

·         Legitimate YOM specifications may be determined by verifying the license plate(s) against the license plate information contained in Appendix 1E.

·         The YOM plates must be acceptable by DMV and may be rejected by DMV if the configuration carries any connotations offensive to good taste or have been restricted or removed from regular series license plates.

·         Two license plates are required for every qualifying vehicle.

·         Because DMV does not have year model information for all historical vehicles, the YOM applicant may have to prove that the year model of the vehicle described in the application is correct

Original Plate Application—the following must be submitted:

In addition to the usual registration and/or transfer requirements, the application must include:

·         A Year of Manufacture (YOM) License Plate Application.

·         Authentication of the license plates by DMV which requires taking the plates to a DMV field office.
— DMV will also verify that the configuration is not duplicated and already in use on another vehicle.

·         Original YOM license plate fee

I am taking some liberties ie. ‘entirely flexible’ to the part below….

Displaying YOM sticker
The applicant will be issued a PYR (partial year) sticker showing the month and year of expiration, along with a metal permanent sticker well for displaying the PYR sticker.

I do have the original PYR (partial year sticker) issued in 1988,  881547678_12RegistrationTag.jpg.2f6edb834473e828260480b7bcca9928.jpg

Technically, the newer and smaller CALIFORNIA plate, was issued by CALIFORNIA and contains a well…..

·         The well must be placed behind the license plate, extending above the upper right hand corner, or, if not possible, placed on the right side of the plate.

…..and is mounted behind the YOM Plate.

·         The original sticker(s) on the license plate must not be removed from the license plate, or the validation will be void.

This is from the 09/2004 version; Handbook of Registration Procedures

(cannot find an earlier one), Went from one paragraph to two pages! Not sure what

version would have been in use when I originally registered the truck in 1988.

I know I was not provided a metal sticker well or any instructions.

I am considering my self ‘grandfathered’ in to the 1980’s.

14.100 Year of Manufacture Model Year Date Plates (VC §5004.1)

Year of Manufacture (YOM) license plates are any officially manufactured California

license plates issued prior to 1963 that are determined to be legible and serviceable by

the DMV. YOM plates may be assigned in lieu of regular license plates to any

currently registered 1962 or older year model motor vehicle or trailer of a

corresponding model year.

Kit cars of vintage automobiles (a replica of a 1928 vehicle for example) do not

qualify for YOM plates. Vehicles with YOM plates have full operating privileges and

are not restricted to participation in historical vehicle activities.

The plates must be supplied by the vehicle owner and authenticated by DMV

personnel. Base year plates must have the appropriate year validation sticker attached

to the plate to be authenticated as other than the base year (for example, a 1956 plate

with a 1958 sticker equals a 1958 plate).

This should be all OK outside of California (we will see), in California, maybe not so much!  ?

Its your truck, but I think you are glossing over the part that THEY will issue you the metal tab the stickers must be affixed to. You home made one is not legal, and it never will be. The law specifically states they will issue the metal tab, the part you cut out of context refers to where THAT tab is to be mounted.

Your truck. I'm sure it will fly OUT OF CA, until someone wants to be a d_ck to you.

3 minutes ago, lostviking said:

Its your truck, but I think you are glossing over the part that THEY will issue you the metal tab the stickers must be affixed to. You home made one is not legal, and it never will be. The law specifically states they will issue the metal tab, the part you cut out of context refers to where THAT tab is to be mounted.

Your truck. I'm sure it will fly OUT OF CA, until someone wants to be a d_ck to you.

Yes that's the way I'm looking at it, it will fly outside of California, I highly doubt the truck will ever be in California ever again so I think I'll be okay.

But that doesn't change the fact that when I first registered it with the YOM plates, they were not giving out the metal well, they didn't even give instructions they just handed me an envelope with registration and a sticker in it, Ahh, the good old days LOL