Water pump identification

37plymouth-hill

I ordered a rebuild kit for what I assumed was a 1949 dodge water pump. The kit matched the shop manual, but not the water pump I have. Can anyone help me identify what I actually have? The manual shows brass bushings. The shaft diameter on the pump I have is 5/8” for the entire length. It has a bearing on the hub side of the cast housing.

C552EF04-6C39-4EE2-84F9-0258AE10ABDD.jpeg

you have a newer replacement water pump that has the sealed bearing assembly instead of the old grapihite bushing and brass bushings.  The sealed bearing pump is a better pump becasue the sealed bearing is a better setup with less chance of leaking and then the water leaks becasue the brass or bronze bushing gets out of shape.  You might want to look on ebay to get the newer style instead of th eolde style but be aware that if you have three studs that come out of the front of the block that ae used to hold the wp onto the front of the block and it is held on with nuts then the newer version will require that you need to pull the lower left stud out of the block so that you can use the new wp becsue they made the wp thicker inthat area.

Also since the bolt willgo into the water jacket make sure that you put on some watertight grease to make a good seal if not then it will leak right at the bolt where it threads into the block.

If you are restoring the old original style wp do you have all of the tools to face the body and burnish the shaft bushing and also to install the flange that holds the fan blade to the front of the WP?  To do the jog correctly wil require some of these specila tools that were sold by the Miller tool compnay for all of the Chrysler products.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the detailed information. It seems both the water pumps I have Lying around are replacement pumps with the sealed bearing you described. If I understand you, there are no replacement bearings available for these pumps? It seems I don’t have the original style, so I think I’ll just send the kit back. Upon reading the manual, I was perhaps naive in thinking I could handle the rebuild (without the use of special tools) for the original water pump....

I maybe wrong but I thought the original water pumps that were rebuildable had the impeller with just 2 vanes, one on either side and used a fibre washer and rubber seal .......the new style pumps use a sealed bearing with a circular impeller with from memory, 6-8 vanes and circulate more water............as mentioned you may have to change studs and/or bolts to suit a new pump but thats usually not a big job, just also make sure to put some sort of sealer on EVERY bolt thread that goes into the block........interesting that the shaft/bearing you show is obviously a new style and am curious how old it was before it needed replacement?..............andyd   

Edited by Andydodge

Andy

you've accurately described the new style pump I inherited with a block Im rebuilding (230cc motor from a 1949 Dodge). My issue is I’d prefer to find replacement parts (like the bearing and shaft in my photo) for these pumps, but can’t identify the manufacturer or year they were built, and thus can’t determine if replacement parts are available. I’m not sure how long the pump(s) were in use as they came with the block along with numerous other misc. parts..

It seems I’d be better off just ordering a new water pump, but I wanted the challenge of trying to successfully rebuild one. :)

When I had the 41 Plymouth from 2007 to 2014 I needed to get a new pump, the original style one was leaking......as I remembered the PITA time I spent when I first bought the 40 Dodge Sedan in the 1970's trying to rebuild the original pump and getting the fibre washer to fit without breaking I was very pleased to see that the new pump had a sealed bearing, improved impeller and no fibre washer..........the new pump I obtained came in a Gates Brand box but there was no markings on the pump itself, nor any numbers anywhere......and the box is long gone...............andyd

if you contact Art Gold waterpump and fuel pump repair he can rebuild your original pump. I spoke tohim at last years Hershey event and he told me that if there is enought metal inthe shaft area he can install the sealed bearing instead of the fiber washer old style would cost around $100 and you would have your old pump back again and would not have to pull the stud out of the engine block and less chance of breaking the stud.

hee is his linkto his webpage:  http://www.arthurgouldrebuilders.com/

Art Gold is now located if i remember correctly up in Mass or NH.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939

I just sent my water pump to flying Dutchman. he replaces the seal with something newer but it retains the grease nipple to grease the bearing. he also machines it so everything is properly aligned to the shaft, no wobble or poor clearances. my pump is the original from my 1954 Windsor flathead. I am looking forward to improved water flow at idle and long life of the pump. not sure of the price yet as he is currently doing the job. I also want to replace the water dist. tube, but not sure of a good source. the one in there I pulled out and it appears to be the wrong one. it came from bernbaum about 10 years ago. mopar pro looks like he has a good one. I will call him tomorrow.    capt den 

• Like 1