Brake Anchor Bolts & Clutch Brake return Springs

Ed McDermott

I recently acquired a 48 Dodge Custom in reasonably good shape.  I have two questions that I am seeking help on.

Question #1 is on brake anchor bolts.  I have rebuilt the front passenger side brake with modest problems.  On the drivers side both of the anchor bolts have some stripping  and the nuts do not thread on very far.  I have cleaned them but not much improvement .  I have ordered a  9/16 x 18 re-threading die which I hope will help.  If not the problem get worse.  I have not found replacement anchor bolts available on line and   is there any possible source?  If not is there a solution?  I have considered re-threading to 1/2 x 20 but not sure if I can cut the bolt down and be structurally safe.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Problem # 2 involves the clutch and return springs location.  Two photos attached for reference.

The car had a new master cylinder installed before it was shipped to me from an estate  sale in Michigan,  but the clutch and return springs were loose on the floor.  I have reviewed the shop manual page 54, 55 and 56 but do not see attachment points for one end  of the long springs and the master cylinder does not have a attachment point on it for one of the long springs.  For the  third short spring, it is not clear to me as to were it goes when I look at the car.  I have remove the floor plate and been under the car but am having trouble figuring out were the springs go.  Does anybody have pictures of a fully assembled brake clutch area or could you look at the attached photos and comment or mark up the spring locations.  Thank you in advance.

Ed

cut_113211.jpg

bottom cut_112548.jpg

ed I am assumig that when you state anchor bolts you are referring to the two eccentic pins that go through the hole on the end or otherwise known as the heel end of the brake shoe.

These are not complettely round pins they are eccentric and when turned becasue of being eccentric slight out of round they move the heel of the brake show down and out or up and inward to help with the adjustment of the shoe to make a perfect contact with the drum.

Hope this helps to decribe what you are looking for.

Rich Hartung

Thanks all.

First time using this forum and I responded to the report post.

I have read them all and found some useful info.  The picture maybe useful and will print out and give feedback.

Andy Bernbaum I believe no longer has the anchor bolts.  On ebay there are some pickup truck ones but there to small.

I realize that the bolts have an eccentric shape.

you can resize pictures down to 70% of orginal and then they will fit with paint or paint prush pro .

Ed

Hi Hickory

Yes I am interested.  The rear brakes are a little different from the front.  I have attached a photo of the two front anchor bolts for my 48 dodge .  Are your bolts near this size?  I am interested anyway since I have the rear brakes to do and may find the same problem with them.

Thanks Ed

anchor bolts.jpg

Hi Hickory

Yes I am interested.  The rear brakes are a little different from the front.  I have attached a photo of the two front anchor bolts for my 48 dodge .  Are your bolts near this size?  I am interested anyway since I have the rear brakes to do and may find the same problem with them.

Thanks Ed