Squeaky Steering Wheel

petermilo1

I have a 48 Plymouth with a squeaky steering wheel. It does not sound like a worn bearing but rather rubber rubbing when i turn the wheel. I removed the wheel cleaned and lubed all around. 

Reinstalled the wheel and it almost felt like it was worse. I understand that noise can travel along the column but it definitely sounds like its originating from the top of the column. I now drilled a small hole in the side of the column in order to squirt  in oil. As i was drilling i noticed papery stuff on the bit coming out?? After squirting some oil in the hole the squeak is still there.

Anyone out there ever have the squeak problem?? 

Problem solved! It took two people to solve it. One to turn the wheel and one to observe the steering box. It appears that there is a rubber gasket between the box and frame. The bolts on the box were slightly loose. When turning the wheel the box would rub against the rubber causing the squeak which would travel up the column to the  steering wheel. 

Edited by petermilo1

Do you have an aftermarket turn signal switch bolted to the column?  They have a rubber wheel that rolls against the steering wheel to turn off the directional after the turn.  The rubberwheel gets old and hard and could squeek.  If you have one, take it off of the column to test for squeeks.

Peter.........am pretty sure the rubber gasket you are referring to is the steering box Isolator, it is a 2 piece thing between the frame and steering box and on the outside of the frame between the frame and a triangular plate......there are 3 bolts going from the outside thru the plate, rubber isolator, frame, rubber isolator then into the steering box...........over the years grease, oil etc softens the isolators and allow the steering box to move against the bolts and frame...........if you can find a pair then I'd definately suggest replacing the old ones as it makes a huge difference to the feel thru the steering box.........and Welcome aboard from Oz..............Andy Douglas

Peter.........have HAD............lol........still got the 1940 Dodge Sedan, since 1971........andyd