Gas tank construction

squirebill

Anybody familiar with the construction of our gas tanks.  I'm dealing with a 1949 Suburban.  Are the top and bottom halves soldered at the flange using standard soft solder or is it a hard solder/braze ?  I've heard of "tin plate" steel that can be soldered and wonder if this is what the tank halves are made of.  I have a new/different tank coming but thought I would experiment with the old tank to see if I could get it apart, clean, patch and reseal, and post my findings for others to consider. Regards

The seam looks to be electrically seam welded to me....not soldered/brazed.

I agree with Dodgeb4ya,

My 50 Suburban was welded seams. After careful cleaning on mine 10-12 years ago I could see on close look,  a pattern that appeared that it was welded together as it was run through a toothed pressureto hold seam together ,was spot/seam welded.

After very careful and thorough cleaning I cut it in two parts with a cut off wheel leaving about 1/4"high  wall above the seam on one side to remove a Big dent that was to big for outside the tank straightening.

Straightened the dent out and mig welded the two parts back together. Add water, pressure test, dry,  re-weld marked leaking pinholes, done!

No one made a repo tank for the 49-50 Suburbans as they have that wrap around section to clear the re-end. I think later model Suburbans eliminated that wrap-around with more space elsewhere.

Finding good used for me seemed impossible at the time.

DJ

Thanks for the responses.  Doesn't seem like a seam that would come apart by applying heat from a MAPP torch.  I have little welding experience but do have a HF 110 volt  wire feed welder and can usually get two pieces of metal to stick together.  Usually looks like a bunch of tiny grapes but if you get enough of them, things usually stick together, not usually water tight though.  Looking through the inlet hole and sender unit hole of the tank I can see globules of something adhered to the inside of the tank.  Would like to get it apart to see what it is and if it can be cleaned out.  Will probably use the idea of cutting above the seam with angle grinder, leaving a flange and figuring a way to put it back together with weld,solder, or space age epoxy/adhesive. This will be "aroundtuit" project but will advise of my findings.  Regards.

If you have any doubt you can get a liquid tight repair done you can make your cut on top as an access panel. Even just cut 3 sides so it's a flap. Then you can do epoxy reinforced with metal screen.

Develop a pinhole leak at the very top and chances are you'll barely notice.

Just be careful cutting, the heat can turn varnish into vapor. Then sparks go boom. Some people throw a chunk of dry ice in there. 

I called the GasTank Renu in Spokane, because it is the closest to me. The manager said that they cut a couple panels from the top, bead blast clean, repair any problems and weld the panels back on. Possibly $300. I think my old tank has pin holes in the pickup tube, because I still have maybe 5 gallons gas when it runs out. You could check for a location nearest to you if your replacement for a Suburban doesn’t fit. When you disconnect the fuel line from the tank, fish out the special barrel type ferrule from the tank outlet. It’s worth $30 and you need it to seal the fuel line fitting. 

Replacement tank was received yesterday.  Direct replacement with no rust on the interior.  Was $150 + $50 shipping from CA. to southeast PA.  Very happy.  I did look into a couple RENU dealers in my area. Was quoted  between $295-$395.  Did read somewhere in their process that they gained access to the interior that's why I asked the original question about taking the tank apart.  Bottom line: have my replacement tank.  When I get a chance will cut access holes to clean interior, seal and close up my old tank .  Will document process with photos and post on this forum.  Then maybe others can save a little money with a DIY gas tank refurbishment. Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 8:49 PM, squirebill said:

Replacement tank was received yesterday.  Direct replacement with no rust on the interior.  Was $150 + $50 shipping from CA. to southeast PA.  Very happy.

So what company did you get the tank from please?

2 hours ago, squirebill said:

Was a seller on Ebay.  Seller name is  "forthebeachonly".   Has almost 6000 items listed.  I will check him again if I need anything. Regards

Great guy. His name is Steve Rotholz and he is located in Selma CA. He loves NOS and stock parts and probably has another 6,000 items at his warehouse. His phone is (559) 352-1407. Leave a message if you call.

IMG_1018.jpeg

IMG_1028.jpeg

IMG_1026.jpeg

IMG_1022.jpeg

Edited by Bob Riding